Thread: 29er decisions

mtbr member
    Jan 2018

29er decisions

Which bike would you buy and why.
    I'm looking at a

1. trek fuel ex 8( big sale coming in march)
    2. Transition smuggler ( base model)
    3. Or go 27.5 and get a giant trance 2

I don't need a ton of travel but I can test ride the trek and giant. I was set on the giant until testing the trek. Then I started looking at 29ers. Not sure why but I'm drawn to the smuggler based on looks and color but can't test ride one. Depending what kind of deal they have going in March might away me towards the trek as it also seems like a better value with the eagle drivetrain

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    What trek sale is coming ??

I mulled over the trek and the smuggler------finally tested the smuggler and the top tube on the large was too short-----even shorter than my Pivot 429T--it probably was a good inch or so short for me.

Have now added the Norco Sight which fits better and will test a SC HT later this week at the factory.

Spec wise the Fuel cannot be beat if cash is a concern

wanna ride bikes?
    Quote Originally Posted by sims87 View Post
    Which bike would you buy and why.
    I'm looking at a

1. trek fuel ex 8( big sale coming in march)
    2. Transition smuggler ( base model)
    3. Or go 27.5 and get a giant trance 2

I don't need a ton of travel but I can test ride the trek and giant. I was set on the giant until testing the trek. Then I started looking at 29ers. Not sure why but I'm drawn to the smuggler based on looks and color but can't test ride one. Depending what kind of deal they have going in March might away me towards the trek as it also seems like a better value with the eagle drivetrain
    Where to start. Why do you care what I would buy? You shouldn't. Instead, you should tell us about YOU and where and how you ride. Also what qualities YOU value.

Me? I'd buy the Smuggler because it's badass and I like the geo, and the company. But, I also strongly dislike Trek and wouldn't be caught dead on one, let alone give them my money. Giant is Meh, but I wouldn't ride 27.5 wheels if you paid me (ok, maybe if you paid me) See why you shouldn't ask what I would ride? I'm strongly bias, and I'd rather have a steel SS than any of those.

Lastly, the words Eagle and Value don't belong in the same sentence.
    Rigid SS 29er
    Fat Lefty
    SS MonsterCross
    SS cyclocross
    all steel

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

I am Walt
    Well, what type of riding do you do?
    Ride more; post less...

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by *OneSpeed* View Post
    Why do you care what I would buy? You should tell us about YOU and where and how you ride. Also what qualities YOU value.
    ^^This
    Ride more; post less...

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    I guess you would call it trail riding/ single track. I come from a dirt jump bmx background. But after 10years of being off a bike i don't jump to much. I live in Houston so not much elevation change . Just trails along and through bayous and drainage ditches.
    Currently riding 27.5 hardtail kona

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by sims87 View Post
    I guess you would call it trail riding/ single track. I come from a dirt jump bmx background. But after 10years of being off a bike i don't jump to much. I live in Houston so not much elevation change . Just trails along and through bayous and drainage ditches.
    Currently riding 27.5 hardtail kona
    Hardtail 29er, for rizzle. Lots of great, affordable choices. None of the choices you mentioned above fit your purpose. If you want the Trek sale, I don't know the Trek lineup, but I'm sure you can find a great Trek HT 29er. Don't buy too much bike, which you won't even touch...
    Ride more; post less...

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I sold my cross bike because my HT 29er seemed faster to me on everything but pavement. Then my 29er frame cracked, so I bought a different 29er frame. And it felt super slow and not much fun. So I sold it. And bought a gravel bike. Which so far feels slow too but it's only seen sloppy winter rides (owned for 1 month in Wisconsin) so far so I haven't given it a fair shake. And it's super comfy and very commutable. So in any given year I don't know what kind of bikes or how many I'll have (3 right now but looking to add a longer travel trail/enduro bike possibly.)

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I rode the Trance 27.5 on some pedally rocky rooty New England terrain and wasn't thrilled with it. Lots of pedal strikes, and it felt lazy.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Just can't find enough info on the 2018 smuggler to make a decision