Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

29er Build Advice

I'm finally taking the plunge into 29er territory. At 6'4" I probably should have done this earlier, all my riding buddies have been crapping on about them for years. Anyway, it's given me more time to save up and buy some nice things:

Frame is a Lynskey Pro 29 which I bought used (but looks pretty much untouched):

Fork is DT Swiss:

Wheelset is Mavic CrossMax SLR:

Most of the rest of the build will be moved over from my old 26 inch hardtail:

Some questions:

1. I'm not sure what type of headset I need. I'm new to the tapered steerer thing, and am struggling to understand all the terminology.

Is this Chris King here the right one?

Chris King I3 44/49 ZS Tapered Headset > Components > Headsets and Spacers > Headsets | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop

They have a 44/49ZS and a 44/56ZS as well as a I5 49 Mixed Tapered - I'm not sure what the difference is. From what I've read about 29ers it seems keeping the front end as low as possible is important - does that mean these inset headset designs are the way to go?

2. Further to the keeping the front end low thing - do I need to run a zero rise stem, or even reverse a stem? I will experiment with the ones I have before buying anything if it doesn't feel right, but advice is welcome.

3. Gearing. I want to use the 1x9 setup I have on the 26er (Chainring 32t, Cassette 11-34t). My main complaint of this gearing on the 26 is that I spin out too easily on the flats. Would I be right in thinking these ratios will feel a bit better on a 29er?

Any other advice welcome too.

mtbr member
    1. Yes. That's the correct headset.

2. That's personal preference but if your goal is to lower the handle bars then yeah, try flipping the current stem and if that doesn't work, start trying different rise angles and/or place with the spacers to move the stem up and down on the steerer tube.

3. There's more moving mass (bigger heavier wheels/tires) so you may feel a little better on the 29er. Otherwise, a gear change may be in order either with a larger chainring or smaller cassette cog.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nubster View Post
    1. Yes. That's the correct headset.
    Thanks Nubster.

Out of curiosity, what do the numbers mean (44/56 44/49, I5 I3 etc)? There weren't so many variations when I last bought a regular headset.

Nor­wegr
    It refers to the angle of the bearings, there's a myriad of confusing standards for this these days. Inner width and height of the cups also differ.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    The closes up pic of the headtube looks like it takes a 1 1/8 headset not a tapered one. According to the Lynskey website the 2014 frame is tapered any thing 2013 or older is 1 1/8. you may want to check into that before ordering parts.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Phinox View Post
    The closes up pic of the headtube looks like it takes a 1 1/8 headset not a tapered one. According to the Lynskey website the 2014 frame is tapered any thing 2013 or older is 1 1/8. you may want to check into that before ordering parts.
    It is an older frame. But surely I can fit a tapered fork in here?

The headtube is huge.

Edit:

Found this on a 2011 review of the frame here on MTBR:

Had to source a Cane Creek lower XX44 headset cup to suit the 44mm internal diameter headtube and tapered fork steerer.

Does this mean I need something specific?

mtbr member
    If there's a serial number on the frame maybe contact Lynskey and they can give you the specs on the frame. Good people to talk to.

Do you have the fork already or is that just the fork you are looking at? If you have it, does it fit in the headtube? If so, you should be ok. The fat part is 1 1/2" and the skinny part is 1 1/8". If the headtube is a 1 1/8" straight you should not be able to fit the fat part of the tapered steerer into the headtube.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I'd contact Lynskey. Everything I see looks like a 1 1/8 setup. Measure the internal diameters of the headtube. The CaneCreek headset finder seems to think it is a traditional 1 1/8 headset.
    Take a look at http://www.canecreek.com/resources/p...tion-guide.pdf

mtbr member
    Hmm, I have the fork already. It easily fits in the headtube. Hope I haven't screwed this up.

Will email Lynskey and find out.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013

29er Build Advice

If you have calipers measure your headtube. If it's 44mm then you will want an inset 7 Chris king headset, and your fork will work.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Vassago Verhauen SS
    2013 Stumpjumper FSR Comp 29
    2014 Stumpjumper Evo HT
    2014 Tarmac Elite

mtbr member
    That looks like a 44mm head tube to me.

When you slide a tapered fork into a 1 1/8" frame, it will get stuck on the tapered part of the steer tube. If you can get the fork all the way to the crown, then you will be fine. It will be blatantly obvious if it is not going to work.
    Intense Spider29 / Motobecane FlyTi29

mtbr member
    Yep, the fork definitely fits in the whole way.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013

29er Build Advice

Quote Originally Posted by Tubbsy View Post
    Yep, the fork definitely fits in the whole way.
    Then you want the Chris king inset 7
    Or this cane creek
    http://www.competitivecyclist.com/ca...apered-headset

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Vassago Verhauen SS
    2014 Stumpjumper Evo HT
    2014 Tarmac Elite

mtbr member
    So this is the word from Lynskey:

sure, that is just our standard oversized 44mm head tube. Any headset that provides a zero stack 44 for the top and external cup 44 for the bottom will work with a tapered steerer tube'd fork. we provide the cane creek 110 ZS44/EC44 to our customers who purchase a headset with their frame order.
    https://www.lynskeyperformance.com/s...d-headset.html

I must say I still find the tapered standard confusing. So much jargon.

mtbr member
    zero stack (ZS) means that very little of the head set will come up and out of the top of the head tube. The bearing will be inside of the head tube making a smaller opening to fit the 1 1/8" steerer tube.

The external cup (EC) is opposite. Most of it will be outside of the head tube as well as the bearing. This allows for a larger opening to fit the 1 1/2" section of the steerer tube.

An of course 44 denotes the size of the head tube.

mtbr member
    Thanks Nubster, it's getting clearer.

So what is I2/I3/I5 etc?

Fastblack says I need an I7.

Jenson only have I3's in 44 with the thin top and fat bottom...

Chris King I3 44/49 ZS Headset SP Order > Components > Headsets and Spacers > Headsets | Jenson USA
    Chris King I3 44/49 ZS Tapered Headset > Components > Headsets and Spacers > Headsets | Jenson USA

mtbr member
    Jul 2013

29er Build Advice

Your tube is 44mm all the way through. The i3 is for 44 at the top 49 at the bottom and is zero stack as nubster said. Meaning even the bottom bearing is inside the headset.

You need zs/ec
    If you want chris king, buy this http://www.backcountry.com/chris-kin...7-BOLBK-TAPINS

Here is the best picture I can find of my bike, which has a 44mm head tube.

Vassago Verhauen SS
    2014 Stumpjumper Evo HT
    2014 Tarmac Elite

mtbr member
    Got it. So I3 is a Chris King model name, not another measurement.

I was planning on ordering some other stuff from Jenson, hence I was only looking at their site, but perhaps I'll have to look elsewhere for the whole order.

And really was looking at CK as I was after a silver headset, not black. Brand isn't super important.

mtbr member
    Personally I use the Cane Creek 110 on my bikes. You can get it in silver and they are top notch. 110 year warranty says a lot about it.

mtbr member
    Cervelo S2
    Specialized Carve Pro
    Pivot Mach 5

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by RS VR6 View Post
    That would work, but only comes in black.
    Vassago Verhauen SS
    2014 Stumpjumper Evo HT
    2014 Tarmac Elite

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Yes, Chris King uses that designation to differentiate their different size options. I3(or Inset 3), I2(Inset 2), I7, are just different King headset models depending on what you need for your headtube. You'd have to read the detailed descriptions or contact King to see which is the right one for your frame.

mtbr member
    OK, ended up ordering a Chris King I7 through CRC. A lot more expensive than Jenson, but saved a fair bit on the other things I ordered plus free shipping.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013

29er Build Advice

Why not just order from jenson or backcountry separately? Free shipping over 50 dollars from them anyway. I ordered from 4 or 5 different sites when building my bike depending on the best price. And anything jenson had that crc had for less I had jenson price match.

Vassago Verhauen SS
    2014 Stumpjumper Evo HT
    2014 Tarmac Elite

mtbr member
    I'm not in the USA, unfortunately Jenson don't offer free international shipping like CRC and Wiggle do.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast