Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: A 29er is born

mtbr member
    Jan 2009

A 29er is born [build finished - updated with pics]

After quite some time of heavy 29er surfing on the web, I actually got to the point where I started to build one myself. I will share some pictures and a little story of the progress. Hope you like it and get some inspiration in these dark times!

Okay, lets get started. The purpose is to build a fully rigid bike for XC and trail use. There’s no set budget limits, but the idea is to build a reasonable bike at a reasonable price. As for the frame, I initially was thinking about an Inbred steel frame. I then accidentally stumbled over a thread about a RCZ 29 here on mtbr, which was a completely unknown brand to me (showed out to be the house brand of RCZ bike shop, based in Luxemburg). I liked the looks, and the geometry seemed to be about right, so I thought I’d give it a try. I’m 172cm (5’7”) and ordered a 16” frame.

Från RCZ Race 29er

Från RCZ Race 29er

When I got the frame I was really impressed. The looks and finish are absolutely great for a frame in this price range. Chainstays and seatstays are nicely formed, and the top tube is lowered a bit for better standover. Frame weighs in at 1612g with gear hanger.

Från RCZ Race 29er

Från RCZ Race 29er

Now it was time for some headset fitting. For this I used a M10 threaded rod and some washers, and simply press fitted one cup at the time. Haven’t done this before, but it was much easier than I thought it would be. Headset is a FSA Orbit MX.

Från RCZ Race 29er

With the frame under the bed, I started thinking about the choice of fork. As I mentioned before, the bike will be fully rigid. I’m actually not completely sure about this, as the terrain up here is pretty rough with a lot of rocks and roots, but I can always add some suspension later on. I felt carbon was the way to go, and after many hours on the web (again ) I finally pulled the trigger on an Exotic carbon fork. The A-C of the fork is 465mm, with an offset of 42mm.

Från RCZ Race 29er

Next up is the wheelset. I already had a front wheel from an earlier 69er experiment with my Inbred 26er (actually this experiment turned out quite well, but I still wanted a complete 29er). The front wheel is build around a Mavic A317 disc and a XT M756 hub, with some DT comp spokes. For the rear wheel I used the same rim and spokes, but threw in a SLX hub instead. According to Shimano tech docs, the SLX has the same freehub as their 29er specific hubs, so I figured it should be well suited for this kind of duty.

Från RCZ Race 29er

Från RCZ Race 29er

Från RCZ Race 29er

Från RCZ Race 29er

Rubber time! I've got a Panaracer Rampage 2.35 in the front and a Michelin Wild Race’R 2.0 in the rear. Based on earlier experience with Michelin’s very similar dry series in wet conditions, I’ll maybe have to get another Rampage for the winter season...

Från RCZ Race 29er

The Thudbuster post, saddle and handlebars are just temporarily installed. Still haven't decided on what gear to use.. I guess I need some more web surfing.

Next up are drivetrain and brakes, which are still on order. The drivetrain will be a 3x9 mix of Deore and SLX components, and the brakes will be Shimano's new M596 series with XT and SLX rotors.

Från RCZ Race 29er
    Last edited by dadel; 10-05-2011 at 12:14 PM. Reason: Title update

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    That looks sweet. When together it should be a lot of fun. I am waiting for a bunch of good stuff to show up so I can slap it on my bike. I can ride it but it will ride better when all my stuff gets here!

Plan #123-D
    Thanks for sharing the process!
    C'mon lets go for a whirl.

Frys With That, Please
    Very nice build!
    2012 Cannondale Trail SL 29ER 4

1994 Cannondale Super V 1000

1996 Cannondale F500 rigid-fork 69'er

Motiv 26'er

mtbr member
    Nice work so far. Please keep sharing.

Expert Crasher
    Nice parts choice. I recently installed an FSA Orbit MX on my Soma DoubleCross - very pleased with the quality. I'm normally a Cane Creek guy but have used King as well - pretty sure this FSA is going to do as well as the CC and King headsets.
    Happiness depends more on the inward disposition of mind than on outward circumstances. Benjamin Franklin

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Great job! I like the pictures and the comments for each step. Keep it coming!

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Rubber Time? That's what she said...

Sorry...someone had to say it!
    "...quit hitting me with your hammer"
    www.msmtb.org
    Niner EMD 1x9 ~ Niner SIR9 SS

Recovering Weight Weenie
    Rigid fork and Thudbuster post is an interesting combo.

Good work building it all yourself!

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by AGrant View Post
    Rubber Time? That's what she said...

Sorry...someone had to say it!
    Oh yes..

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Padre View Post
    Rigid fork and Thudbuster post is an interesting combo.
    Don't you think it look nice? Actually, the Thudbuster is temporary and only there because I couldn't find any other seatpost at home.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Thanks for all replies, I'm glad you like it! Will be back with some updates as soon as I get more parts and some time to build.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    So, after a long week away on business, I came home to a box full of brand new drivetrain and brake components!

Somehow I got myself interested in trying out the M590 incarnation of the 'budget' group Deore. I hade Deore on my first bike in 2002, but this newer one looks more like the XT and SLX components I have on my other bikes. However, since the deore shifters do not have the option of removing the gear indicators, I upgraded them to SLX. Without any better reason than saving some weight, I also upgraded the cassette to SLX.

Från RCZ Race 29er

Brakes are also Deore, but these ones are the M596 from the new 2012 10-speed series. Read somewhere that they will be 14 % more powerful than the last ones.. Well, let's see about that, but I find the looks very appealing. Discs are XT 6-bolt up front and a SLX centerlock at the rear.

Från RCZ Race 29er

So far so good, but now I have a dilemma. I was checking out the RCZ the other day and got my eyes on their 29er wheelset. There is nothing wrong with the A317 I have at the moment, but a nice wheelset in white would totally do this bike and on top of that save like 500g of rotating mass. At the moment I actually thinking of upgrading a bike that isn't yet in one piece...

Plan #123-D
    Nice build! Depending on what you would ask for the A317, I would potentially be interested in taking them off your hands...so you can get that white wheelset....

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by aperzigian View Post
    Nice build! Depending on what you would ask for the A317, I would potentially be interested in taking them off your hands...so you can get that white wheelset....
    I would be happy to sell the A317s, but the shipping rates from Finland are unfortunately so high that you probably could buy a similar wheelset in the States for less.. sorry..

Plan #123-D
    Ah...I understand. Gotta love those darn postage rates...Good luck with the rest of the build!

Recovering Weight Weenie
    Pretty solid budget build. Lookin' good.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    wow

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Awesome bike, I love the white and red!

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    New cockpit parts arrived yesterday! Decided to go RCZ all the way and got their carbon riser bar, an aluminium stem, and some foam lock-on grips. The bar looks really sweet! Considering the price tag at just under 40€, I think this one is a great deal.

The stem looks suspiciously similar to the Sunline XC-1, which I also think is the exact same as the On-One Superlight and the stem offered by Superstar bikes. Must be a very good design as it's sold under so many brands...

Had very little time to finish my build, but this weekend I will try to put the last pieces together and shorten the brake hoses. Looking forward to the first ride!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Excelent! The RCZ's components has a good quality and looks pretty nice!

29er for life!!
    Nice lookin 29er ya got there...

mtbr member
    coming along nice...thanks for sharing the build....should be a fun bike

mtbr member
    Jan 2009

A 29er is born [build finished - updated with pics]

Thanks for all replies.
    Now the bike is finally done!

I've made some testing during the last couple of days, and I have to say that this is probably the most fun bike I have ever had. The frame seems to be spot on for me, but of course the whole 29er thing has a lot to do with as well. A lot of fun it is. Every time I take a ride, I actually feel the same excitement as with my first real mountain bike, a trek 4900disc, almost 10 years ago!

Here are some pictures and thoughts from my after-work ride today:

The components all seem to work pretty well. The RCZ cockpit feels nice and I think the looks are really great. Lately I've used wider and much wider bars than this, but due to some very close calls with trees lately, I decided to go back to 600mm for a while...

I think the Deore/SLX drivetrain was a wise choice. Feels smooth and efficient, and I actually starting to think that upgrades over this level is really a waste of money for weekend warriors like me.. Also the Deore M596 brakes feels quite decent, although they're not fully bedded in yet.

Now, my new bike doesn't look exactly new anymore. I guess I'll have to get some more Muc Off and roll out the garden hose this weekend...

I hope you liked it! Will be back with some more ride impressions when I've made some more testing. Over and out.
    Last edited by dadel; 10-05-2011 at 12:15 PM. Reason: Title update

mtbr member
    Looking good, all covered in mud! Well done on a solid build. And great to hear that you are loving the ride!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast