mtbr member
    Jul 2008

29er All Mountain / Clydesdale fork

Hello fellow bike breakers. I'm in the process of ordering a hand built 29er hardtail all mountain rig. I've been doing a bit of research as to what fork to run. Unfortunately being a 29er as you all know we're severely limited by choice.

Now as a Clydesdale @ 6' 7" 250lbs I think that I place even more stress on your typical fork. So what do ya think? I'd appreciate any feedback. What fork are you running and how has it held up for you.

Thanks to all who contribute.

Missouri sucks...
    Jun 2009
    Watch ALL of this video The last minute or so will blow your mind!

http://cfr.cannondale.com/flash/play...video_id=17210

I ride a carbon Lefty on my F29 and will never ride another non-Lefty fork as long as I ride. Nothing else comes even REMOTELY close! This is coming from a guy that had a Fox TALAS on his Turner 5 Spot and thought THAT was stiff

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I have used a bunch of them, but am about 50 pounds lighter. Thru axle is the way to go. Lefty is nice, but you are limited in terms of travel. Of the Reba w\Maxle, Minute thru axle, and White Brothers thru axle the Reba seems flexiest. The Minute and WB (they felt stiff enough to not notice any issues) both felt good. WB Fluid 110 or Manitou Minute in 100 or 120mm would be a good choice.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I been looking at that Manitou Drake 29er thru- axle at jensonusa.com.
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I've got the drake super air 29er 120mm TA. I'm 6'4" and 310 lbs. Been holding up well, but i've only got about 100 miles on it. I don't do drops, but I'm not a smooth rider. I beat the fork and its held up so far. I love the platform adjustment.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Manitou Minute/Drake or Rockshox Reba both with 20mm axle.

Working Man's Toilet
    Modified Fox 36, 'nuff said.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by MaddSquirrel
    Manitou Minute/Drake or Rockshox Reba both with 20mm axle.

How much do you weigh, how long have you been riding them, and do you prefer one over the other and why? Thanks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zarr
    I been looking at that Manitou Drake 29er thru- axle at jensonusa.com.
    It's a great deal, and mine felt pretty good out of the box, and better after about 6 hours. After maybe 20 hours, I spent another $50 and put the Absolute+ damper in, and it now feels comparable to any fork I've ridden (including my well-broken-in and Push-rebuilt Van 36 RC2). The lockout is extremely easy, and effective. I'm 195 lb w/o gear, will drop up to about 4' to flat on the Sultan, and run about 35 psi in the air assist.

I'd recommend the Drake with Absolute+ to anyone (and especially Clydes), unless you must spend more. The one thing I don't like is the hex axle removal (five bolts, 4 and 6mm hex keys req'd), but I seldom have to do it.

One thing to be aware of is the variation in a2c lengths. For 120mm forks:
    Fox = 521mm
    RS = 526mm
    Man = 530mm
    In my case, I wanted additional height, so the Drake and a Cane Creek S-3 Plus 5 headset put me 14mm higher than a Fox F29 with standard headset.
    Last edited by fallzboater; 12-30-2009 at 06:12 PM.
    This computer system is not intended for use in the operation of nuclear facilities. -Mac

M_S
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by DFYFZX
    Watch ALL of this video The last minute or so will blow your mind!

http://cfr.cannondale.com/flash/play...video_id=17210
    The part where he jumps up and down on the end of the fork, compresses it, and where he is standing make for an interesting image.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Im 6'9'' 240 and am using a Maverick DUC32.

Working Man's Toilet
    Quote Originally Posted by nolan17
    Im 6'9'' 240 and am using a Maverick DUC32.
    I had this fork and the Mav SC 32, thought both were flexy.

Nolan got a sweet Mav Jersey in XL I don't wear sooo.....

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Fox F29

Is a rocking fork that even a HUGE dude can ride on. I bet the boys get off the darn trail when you come a rockin'. The F29 with a 15 millimeter is very plush, easy to set up, and durable. I love my bad boy. I have the tapered one and I have no clue if that helps stiffness.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilkev
    How much do you weigh, how long have you been riding them, and do you prefer one over the other and why? Thanks

Just a few test spins on them, but I know a few people who have them and enjoy them. I weigh 280 and did not notice any flex with the Reba.