Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

29'er aggro trail Hardtails...Honzo, Nimble 9' or TransAM?

I am currently shopping for a HT to be as my bad weather trail thrasher in the PacNW to get a little more life out of my FS bikes (Bronson, Rune V2). I have not really had that much trail time or exerience with the bigger wheels, but makes since to me if going rigid out back to absorb the trail chatter some more than the smaller wheeled options. I typically ride aggressive slanted bikes for for all my riding that I like to hit a little bit of everything on (tech, jumps, steeps, etc). I narrowed it down to the above bikes and plan to use a 120-130 Pike fork, 1x10 gearing with possibility of SS down the road. Also with stout wheels and drivetrain (Turbine Cinch or Saint cranks, Zee brakes/RD), wide bars with total build goal of around 28-30lbs tops. Any recommendations between the listed bikes? Frames would be 2015. Also considered the ROS 9, but since I have an extra 30.9 dropper post and ROS is 31.6, it's off the list. Thanks for any feedback, Jon.
    Ride On!

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Seems an odd reason to remove a bike from your list given the availability of shims. Not that I have anything for or against the Niner, just saying. FWIW, I just ordered a new N9.

4 Niners
    Dec 2008
    You can always shim the post.

Tapatalk upgrade sucks. Be sure to rate this bloatware so they fix it!
    Full rigid SS, Hardtail SS, Hardtail Geared, Full Suspension Geared.

fnInt(1/x^2,x,0,1)
    I love my Honzo (2012). I use it almost exclusively as a SS with dropper, 150mm Pike, 35mm stem and 750mm bars. It's awesome!!

mtbr member
    Funny, I have been considering going down this road again also. Canfield finally got the Nimble 9 right for 2015. (13's had the brake / brake line routing issue after the brake mount fix and 14's had a 27.5 seat post.) The only thing it is really missing would be chain guide tabs. One thing the N9 does have over the Honzo and maybe the Trans AM (supposed to fit up to 2.3) is tire clearance for a 2.5 DHF on a 45mm wide rim. Also dig the new axle design on the 15 N9. (it is like Knolly's set up)

I crossed the Honzo off my list last year. I wanted to like it, but it just felt like an overly stiff tank to me. To be sure, you should be able to get a local demo ride at Sellwood or Universal. BTW, isn't the Honzo 31.6 seat post?

The ROS 9 is a good looking frame, but it is expensive and there is the potential for problems with the EBB. The funky rear brake mount also limits the rear rotor to 160mm.

Looks like the new Trans-Am will be a few months out...

Will let you know if I end up getting an N9.
    Bubba
    Last edited by bubba13; 6 Days Ago at 06:14 PM.
    Portland Off Road Navagators

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by fleanutz View Post
    I love my Honzo (2012). I use it almost exclusively as a SS with dropper, 150mm Pike, 35mm stem and 750mm bars. It's awesome!!
    +1 for Honzo! Amazing bike.

29ers Forever
    Transition TransAm or Niner ROS9 are good steel 29er hardtails with slack geometries.
    2013 Trek Cobia- 29er
    2015 Raleigh Misceo- Gravel bike
    2013 Trek 3700 Disk- 26er
    1994 Cannondale R300- narrow tire roadie

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blatant View Post
    Seems an odd reason to remove a bike from your list given the availability of shims. Not that I have anything for or against the Niner, just saying. FWIW, I just ordered a new N9.
    Used shims in the past, and only would get no post movement with bolt clamp, not with QR post. Even though I run 150 post, I still manually adjust for longer climbs. So use QR and is not ideal with shims from what I have experienced in the past. Plus the Niner is the most expensive. Almost $1k for HT is not in the budget.
    Ride On!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bubba13 View Post
    Funny, I have been considering going down this road again also. Canfield finally got the Nimble 9 right for 2015. (13's had the brake / brake line routing issue after the brake mount fix and 14's had a 27.5 seat post.) The only thing it is really missing would be chain guide tabs. One thing the N9 does have over the Honzo and maybe the Trans AM (supposed to fit up to 2.3) is tire clearance for a 2.5 DHF on a 45mm wide rim. Also dig the new axle design on the 15 N9. (it is like Knolly's set up)

I crossed the Honzo off my list last year. I wanted to like it, but it just felt like an overly stiff tank to me. To be sure, you should be able to get a local demo ride at Sellwood or Universal. BTW, isn't the Honzo 31.6 seat post?

The ROS 9 is a good looking frame, but it is expensive and there is the potential for problems with the EBB. The funky rear brake mount also limits the rear rotor to 160mm.

Looks like the new Trans-Am will be a few months out...

Will let you know if I end up getting an N9.
    Bubba
    Thanks Lee, was going to call you since I read some of your posts on the N9 site when you were inquiring a year or so ago. My pivots have been taken a beaten up here with the weather and all. My Bronson which I thought was resistant to early wear, had four bearings shot within 6 months of mostly all dry riding. I don't ride the Rune that much anymore, only when something is down on the Bro.

Honzo is 30.9 and I am turned off with the EBB on the ROS as well, since most likely won't run it SS anyways. I test rode two 2014 Honzo tanks at Universal (felt like 35 lbs) with crappy build in a Med and large. Med felt a little crammed, large felt comfortable just pedalling around the street on flats, but also felt a little like pedalling a boat to me since I am only 5'10". Looks like for 2015, Kona made the top tube sloped a bit more for better standover, and they claim stiffer and a smidge lighter than prior models, stealth routing (not important to me). So for this, only interested in 2015 and Mike at Universal said they don't plan to get any in until sometime in March. Probably could get a frame earlier of course. Sellwood doesn't have any built up or to demo. A buddy has a 13' large that he finally agreed to let me ride, with supervision only due to his OCD nature and thinks I destroy everything I touch . So, you planning on going N9, XL? I plan to call Cyclepath to see if what they have to possibly check out in person. I can't find a TransAM locally for the life of me since Camas and Hi-5 bikes don't have any, nor know of any in the area. I am still new to he 9'er HT thing, so hopefully can ride some before buying. I plan to mainly use it at place like PB, Lacamas, Gorge trails when weather is bunk. Thanks all!
    Ride On!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bubba13 View Post
    Funny, I have been considering going down this road again also. Canfield finally got the Nimble 9 right for 2015. (13's had the brake / brake line routing issue after the brake mount fix and 14's had a 27.5 seat post.) The only thing it is really missing would be chain guide tabs.
    My Diamondback Mason has a 30.9 seat post, top tube dropper routing tabs and ISCG tabs on the BB (which is a threaded, 72mm BSA BTW)

Clears a 2.3-2.35 tire in the rear.

12x142 rear axle, so you'd have to get creative for SS use.

They're cheap too

Here's mine setup as a B+ rear, 29 front. 120 Fox 34 FIT RLC, 55mm Easton stem, 780 carbon bars and a KS Lev dropper. 67.5* HTA with the 120 fork. Fun bike!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 29'er aggro trail Hardtails...Honzo, Nimble 9' or TransAM?-img_3209.jpg  

'14 Bronson C
    '12 Tallboy A (for sale)
    '13 DB Mason 29er/650b+
    '13 SC Juliana 650b'd (wife's)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 06HokieMTB View Post
    My Diamondback Mason has a 30.9 seat post, top tube dropper routing tabs and ISCG tabs on the BB (which is a threaded, 72mm BSA BTW)

Clears a 2.3-2.35 tire in the rear.

12x142 rear axle, so you'd have to get creative for SS use.

They're cheap too

Here's mine setup as a B+ rear, 29 front. 120 Fox 34 FIT RLC, 55mm Easton stem, 780 carbon bars and a KS Lev dropper. 67.5* HTA with the 120 fork. Fun bike!
    Nice bike, thanks for sharing. I looked at those while they were being blown out for only $899 complete with crappy fork and build of course. My only dis with the Mason is the Alu frame since I have broke many an Alu frame over the years (six in past five years) with even at least 6" of travel to absorb the repetitive impacts. Good geometry on that though, especially with 120-130 fork.
    Ride On!

mtbr member
    Yeah, sorry, saw that your looking at steel framed bikes after I posted. I will say, it's built like a brick sh!thouse!

I got mine on CL as a barely used frameset for $180, hard to beat that!
    '14 Bronson C
    '12 Tallboy A (for sale)
    '13 DB Mason 29er/650b+
    '13 SC Juliana 650b'd (wife's)

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    As I said, I just ordered a new N9 in XL. Should be here Wednesday and the build kit is ready to go. I did previously own a TA29. It was set up with a 130 fork and a 1x10 build. Great-looking bike, but for some reason I didn't get along with it. It seemed to pedal "heavy" which is odd for a hardtail.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    Just buy a Breadwinner with full XTR and a Rock Shox Pike. Call it good!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blatant View Post
    As I said, I just ordered a new N9 in XL. Should be here Wednesday and the build kit is ready to go. I did previously own a TA29. It was set up with a 130 fork and a 1x10 build. Great-looking bike, but for some reason I didn't get along with it. It seemed to pedal "heavy" which is odd for a hardtail.
    Nice. Thanks for the feedback wit the the TA29. Be interesting to hear how the N9 compares, especially since has similar pricing of TA. I do like the complete builds of TA29 with Pike 120, Deore/SLX, RF, WTB, etc for just over $2k though without having to build the whole bike up myself. Keep us posted on the N9 initial impressions, thanks.
    Ride On!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaybo View Post
    Just buy a Breadwinner with full XTR and a Rock Shox Pike. Call it good!
    Yes, I will take your visa number for it when you are ready
    Ride On!

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Chromag Surface looks really nice too, but no sliding dropouts.
    Pedal through it!

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Here's some Honzo info that I found useful:

2015 chainstay width is 73.36mm or 2.888" where most tire knobs would be at their widest.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Collins View Post
    Here's some Honzo info that I found useful:

2015 chainstay width is 73.36mm or 2.888" where most tire knobs would be at their widest.
    Thanks! Great to know!
    Ride On!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gsteitz View Post
    Chromag Surface looks really nice too, but no sliding dropouts.
    That's pretty rad, especially with M/L sizing for the 5'10" rider w/longer legs. Love that build on that thing with Chromag bits, Pike, 1x. Wonder how much frames are, <$1k USD?
    Ride On!

mtbr member
    I ended up just picking up a great deal on a used 2SoulCycles Quarterhorse. Undoubtedly a harder to find frame but the early rides on it (when it's not a monsoon in CA that is) have been amazing.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by jgusta View Post
    That's pretty rad, especially with M/L sizing for the 5'10" rider w/longer legs. Love that build on that thing with Chromag bits, Pike, 1x. Wonder how much frames are, <$1k USD?
    I think it's somewhere in the neighborhood of $14-1500 for the surface. Built in small batches by dekerf though. The rootdown is their more affordable taiwanese built version- I think it is sub$1000.

Cannonball!
    I almost feel sorry for a hardtail under you! I bought a Fireline EVO last summer and I am totally stoked on it. It hits very few of your criteria though, and I have no idea if it would be up to the task of getting ridden really hard.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    The Honzo has a 31.6 seat post not a 30.9. MY 2013 will clear a 2.4 Ardent with a little more than 1/8" for clearance. I still love it every time I ride mine but i am thinking about sizing up to a MD for the longer FC and WB.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by beer_coffee_water View Post
    The Honzo has a 31.6 seat post not a 30.9. MY 2013 will clear a 2.4 Ardent with a little more than 1/8" for clearance. I still love it every time I ride mine but i am thinking about sizing up to a MD for the longer FC and WB.
    Good to know, thanks. Thought I saw it listed as 30.9mm somewhere, must of been a misprint. Do the Honzo's run smaller than they look on paper? I thought for sure the large with 25" TT and almost 18" reach would have me way too stretched out since I am 5'10" and typically ride bikes that are at least 1" shorter, but the large Honzo was comfortable to pedal on, not sure with jumping and steep, tighter descents though.
    Ride On!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast