mtbr member
    Mar 2015

29er to 700c for road use

Just curious if anybody here has gone from a 29x2 tire to a 700c x whatever. I've signed up to do the MS bike ride which is 150km over 2 days and I don't have the cash or passion for that matter for a road bike so I'm looking at changing the tires over, basically just for that event.

So I'm considering tires with little to no off road worthyness. Panaracer makes an inexpensive touring tire 700 x 42, and I've also seen some continentals at 700 x 40.

So any input you give is appreciated. The bike i'm riding is the '14 specialized hardrock, if that makes any difference.

Thx

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    The inside dimension of your rim(like 19mm) would be the important factor. But you can go with the tire you listed, no problem.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Thx for the feedback. I was more curious to find out which tires people have tried and liked and also the best setup for width. I know you can put a fatter tire on a more narrow rim just not the other way around. I'm guessing that the more narrow = lower rolling resistence (and also the hardness of the tire, air pressure etc...), but what I'm unclear about is how much difference would I really notice say from a 38 width tire to 42 given everything else being equal. I just haven't been able to find anyone that's gone down that road. I think if the differences are marginal then might as well stay as close to the OEM width of 2". Which is basically 50 mm.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rob.blissett View Post
    I'm guessing that the more narrow = lower rolling resistence (and also the hardness of the tire, air pressure etc...), but what I'm unclear about is how much difference would I really notice say from a 38 width tire to 42 given everything else being equal. I just haven't been able to find anyone that's gone down that road. I think if the differences are marginal then might as well stay as close to the OEM width of 2". Which is basically 50 mm.

Rolling resistance is certainly a factor but the weight makes the biggest difference IME, a narrower tire is faster on the road (or trail in some cases) because it requires less material and is therefore lighter.

I realize tires are marketed differently but there's really no need to distinguish between 29 and 700c, a 29x2.2 is a 700x56mm and a 700x40 is a 29x1.6. Like eb said, your rim width is the most important bit of information missing here.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014

Hi, I have 5 bikes (including one road bike) all are based off of 700C/29er. Tires are fairly interchangeable. Mostly depends on frame clearance.

I can run a set of Kevlar beaded (foldable) origin8 navig8r 700x42C on all but my road bike.

They are GREAT!!! They are barely mountable to my ZTR wheels! In fact you might damage your rim tape (tubeless tape) getting those tires on or off a ZTR (stans) wheel.

I have 10 sets of wheels and those are the ONLY wheels that are truly next to impossible to mount!

But I did it for the winter!

Awesome thing to do! Don't run wide tires on the street!

With those cheap tires I would destroy all the ***** ass fixy riders in downtown Chicago!

I own a single speed (won't touch fixed) but I ride my RIP 9 or AIR 9 in Chicago! It's like curb what!

If I'm on the Michigan Ave trail I'm on my road bike. But anywhere else! It's NINER time!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have

19LB 2001 cannondale smooth road 1000 (has a carbon fiber shock head shock with 15mm travel

Cannondale bad boy lefty head shock

Niner air 9

Niner rip 9

Single speed road bike with front disc and rear normal break. weighs 18LBs w/ steel frame!

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Givmedew View Post
    Hi, I have 5 bikes (including one road bike) all are based off of 700C/29er. Tires are fairly interchangeable. Mostly depends on frame clearance.

I can run a set of Kevlar beaded (foldable) origin8 navig8r 700x42C on all but my road bike.

They are GREAT!!! They are barely mountable to my ZTR wheels! In fact you might damage your rim tape (tubeless tape) getting those tires on or off a ZTR (stans) wheel.

I have 10 sets of wheels and those are the ONLY wheels that are truly next to impossible to mount!

But I did it for the winter!

Awesome thing to do! Don't run wide tires on the street!

With those cheap tires I would destroy all the ***** ass fixy riders in downtown Chicago!

I own a single speed (won't touch fixed) but I ride my RIP 9 or AIR 9 in Chicago! It's like curb what!

If I'm on the Michigan Ave trail I'm on my road bike. But anywhere else! It's NINER time!

Have

19LB 2001 cannondale smooth road 1000 (has a carbon fiber shock head shock with 15mm travel

Cannondale bad boy lefty head shock

Niner air 9

Niner rip 9

Single speed road bike with front disc and rear normal break. weighs 18LBs w/ steel frame!
    Appreciate your input. Was exactly what I was hoping for. Those tires you mention are certainly priced right with the biggest gripe being removal from what I've read on amazon. Obviously I'm hoping to not blow one out while on this bigger ride but they sound fairly durable. As far as tire pressure I'm guessing the more the better when it comes to pavement. Thx again, and can I say wow regarding your fleet!

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by rob.blissett View Post
    Appreciate your input. Was exactly what I was hoping for. Those tires you mention are certainly priced right with the biggest gripe being removal from what I've read on amazon. Obviously I'm hoping to not blow one out while on this bigger ride but they sound fairly durable. As far as tire pressure I'm guessing the more the better when it comes to pavement. Thx again, and can I say wow regarding your fleet!
    Not really. There's an optimum tire pressure for road, and its only a little higher than for the trail. Once you get above a certain point, there's almost no change in rolling resistance and a LOT of degradation in ride quality. Especially if you're tubeless, the optimum pressure can be relatively low.

Also, tire quality matters a lot. A high quality knobby tire may not have that much less rolling resistance than a cheap/heavy smooth tire. Pressure can make a good tire feel bad, but you can never make a bad tire feel good.

mtbr member
    I've got some Continental Top Contact II 700 x 37 tires on a touring bike that I really like. I think that for your use 700 x 42 would probably be about right. It will lower the bottom bracket about the right amount since you don't need as much BB height on the road. You are on the right track by looking for touring tires. Wide slick tires actually have less rolling resistance than thin ones, but it doesn't make up for the extra weight.

Touring sizes are listed with a variety of screwy sizes, but the part that counts is the ETRTO number, such as 42-622. You have to get 622 to fit your rim, and then the 42 is width in mm, with a wide fluctuation in actual size between manufacturers.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Yes, just get something slick in the 38-50 mm range. Got enough top end gearing?

workin' it Administrator
    I converted my 29er bike with stans flow rims to forte Metro tires from Performance (Forté Metro Road and Mountain Tires) for $24. Commuted on them for the last couple of months and for the price they worked great. Lots of cushion, especially on the fatter flows and felt fine on the bike.

As mentioned before for me the limiting factor is gear as I run a 1x on my bike and the front 30t didn't cut it on anything but the flats and the rear cassette with its large gap jumps between ratios was awkward on the hills here in Seattle. However for $24 it is a great. I have recently swapped them onto an old cyclocross bike for a little more comfort while commuting.
    Try this: HTFU

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Ya I'm not running tubeless but appreciate all the input and advice. I'll have to play a bit with pressures after I get the tires, and try do dial in a PSI before I do the MS bike ride.

I'll look into the Forté thx.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014

The ones I use are Kevlar reinforced and there is a lot of rubber to them. I prefer them to the thick slicks, Michelin, gators, and the vitoris that I have owned.

They won't cause the bike to lower as much as some other slicks I have owned. They are called a 28er by the origin8

On my road bike I prefer thick slick, vitori, or Michelin.

You don't need tread even in the rain when your on pavement or concrete.

As for using any knobby tire like someone else was talking about DONT DO IT. I don't think he was saying go and do it but I just want to be clear!

Your knobbies won't last. Pavement eats them up.

There is another tire that I have never used the Schwalbe Super Moto it looks awesome. It's much much wider than the origin8. Not cheap though but if your gonna look at gators or thick slick then you should look at these as well

And as for tire pressure... If you have a tubeless ready bike with the thin yellow tape from stans DONT out a tube in without putting a cheap rim strip in on top of the stans. If you don't use the rim strip you can damage the stans at the spoke holes if you run anything higher than 40LBs

What tire pressure should you run? Well on the street with tubes that question is difficult to answer. Running a tire below the manufacturers recommended pressure will increase the likelihood of a puncture flat.

That said I did run my origin8 tires a bit lower and never had an issue in Chicago over the entire winter. I ride over curbs too all the time. Don't even bother pulling up on the bars or standing up. Tires take it no prob.

I actually have never had a puncture flat on any bike as an adult. But I run tubeless on my trail tires and whenever I clean out the stans and new stuff in I see stans coming out of several holes in the tire... Proving it works!

Good luck

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    a set of specialized trigger sport (file tread pattern) in 38's or 42's from your local bike shop.

you will like them in combo with your dedicated off road MTB tires for all road (pave,dirt,gravel)

I run the 38's on mine along with a set of Renegade XC MTB hard pack tires for off road. The triggers are quite a bit faster on pavement. they are also a highly recommended gravel grinder tire

mtbr member
    Late response, not sure if OP's event is over?

Agreed that the biggest issue here is the rim width. That will determines if the tires fit, or if they do; do they sit nicely. But as far as I have learnt from personal experience, the range is actually pretty wide, provided you don't go to extremes.

My wheelset uses DT-Swiss 470 rims. Rim width is 23.8mm. I have gone from 50C Big Apples to 28C Gatorskin with no ill effects.

29er to 700c for road use-apple.jpg

29er to 700c for road use-gatorskin.jpg