Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 29er or 650b

mtbr member
    Jan 2013

29er or 650b

hello everyone. i have been looking hard at the specialized sj fsr expert evo carbon 29er and the intense carbine 275. The sj comes with a dropper post and bash guard which is nice considering I would have to spend $275 for the post on the intense along with the high cost of shipping the bike ($250 shipped to house) I can ship a 300lb motocross bike half way across the country for that!!! I will be riding mostly in Mn and a few times a yr in CO. The problem I'm having with the intense is that we don't have any intense dealers in MN. I would really like to ride the bikes before i spend 6k! So if there is anyone who has rode both a sj fsr 29er and intense carbine 650b i would really appreciate any infor to help me make my decsion

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I know this may be a little biased since I posted it in the 29er thread

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Jenson has the Intense for $4800
    There you saved enough to fly out and demo it.
    I would have them swap out the brakes for SLX.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Both are great bikes but it really comes down to which wheel size suits you best and what kind of riding you plan on doing. For myself, being 6'1 tall, the 29ers are my choice for XC/trail riding. 26/650b is my choice for all mtn/lift access riding. Isn't the carbine very similar to the Santa cruz suspension design? Might wanna go demo some Santa cruz bikes since there are more dealers around to get a feel for the geometry. At the end of the day, you gotta go with what feels best for you. Nothing wrong with either bike...just personal preference. Good luck!

mtbr member
    May 2006
    If u like to ride downhill, slalom, dirt jump, the smaller wheel size is better in the sense that it will behave more like a bmx. If u climb, decend, and just ride in general, by all means, 29ers

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by drz400sm View Post
    Both are great bikes but it really comes down to which wheel size suits you best and what kind of riding you plan on doing. For myself, being 6'1 tall, the 29ers are my choice for XC/trail riding. 26/650b is my choice for all mtn/lift access riding. Isn't the carbine very similar to the Santa cruz suspension design? Might wanna go demo some Santa cruz bikes since there are more dealers around to get a feel for the geometry. At the end of the day, you gotta go with what feels best for you. Nothing wrong with either bike...just personal preference. Good luck!
    You are right about what feels best to me. I just need the weather to warm up here so I can test ride a few bikes. Thank you everyone for the help.

mtbr member
    I demoed one of the Intense Carbines...was expecting to love it, but I'll be sticking with my 29er. Just a matter now of which frame to build up.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Von Zipper View Post
    I demoed one of the Intense Carbines...was expecting to love it, but I'll be sticking with my 29er. Just a matter now of which frame to build up.
    I had the exact same experience with their Carbine 275. Bought a Tallboy LTc... Very happy

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Von Zipper View Post
    Buddy demoed the highly anticipated Turner Burner last week - he's a top notch rider - wasnt impressed with it due to the hype and wheel size and stated - he coudn't tell a diff btw the 26 and 275 wheels or find any reason to buy the bike - now - he didnt dislike it - but wont be buying one either.

when our bikes were side by side and wheel to wheel - the wheel size diff still looked like a 26 vs a 29.

mtbr member
    I've had a Carbine 275 for 5 months. I really like it when things get fast rough and fun, which is common in mountainous Utah. However, my pick for my daily rides is a 4/5" 29er. Seeing as most of your riding will be taking place in MN where the rigid 29er is very popular I'd think a short travel 29er would be the ideal ride. Buying a bike for a few days a year in CO might prove to be a mistake.
    Scott @ GO-RIDE.com
    Turner DHR
    Pivot Mach 6
    Giant Anthem 27.5
    Salsa Bear Grease C
    Lil Shredder 20" - son's

mtbr member
    If you are over 6 ft tall I would recommend the 29er. I picked up a Stumpjumper Expert Carbon 29er and it is a sweet bike. I came off a 2011 S Works 26er and have been blown away with the 29er's performance. I will say that I enjoy the bike for its climbing abilities almost as much as for the downhill. One thing to note is the Evo has a longer rear end than the standard stumpy. If drops or manualing are your cup of tea the 27.5 might be your thing unless you can hold out for the new Enduro 29er. Mojo Wheels here in Denver is the best Specialized dealer to do business with. If you are here in Colorado you should definately give them a try.

Moderator Moderator
    Jan 2004
    Ride the biggest wheels you can fit on without making major geometry sacrifices (which is totally subjective and something you have to figure out for yourself) unless you're purely doing DH/lift-served riding or BMX/dirt jumping.

-Walt
    Waltworks Custom Bicycles
    Park City, UT USA
    www.waltworks.com
    waltworks.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Thanks guys I think I should just get a 29er since 90 percent of my riding will be in MN. Pretty flat here. Thanks again for all the great info!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LB412 View Post
    I had the exact same experience with their Carbine 275. Bought a Tallboy LTc... Very happy
    I'm going to demo one in a couple of weeks, it's down to the Pivot 429c, Tallboy LTc, and the new Ibis 29er

ride all day
    Sep 2011
    Personally, I think that 29ers are getting so much better, with shorter chainstays and better handling. The 650b is sorta pointless, when the 29ers have shorter chainstays and handle just as well, might as well go for better rolling wheel. I think this is why Specialized is staying away from the 650, and the Enduro 29 proves what can be done with a 29er.

As for the bike, a good friend of mine just got a Stumpy 29er and I rode it, and I have to say it was one of the best bikes I've ever ridden and it is soooooo fun to ride. You won't be dissapointed

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by ridonkulus View Post
    I think this is why Specialized is staying away from the 650, and the Enduro 29 proves what can be done with a 29er.
    Specialized is staying away from 650b because they have missed the train. They need time to do tires as well.

Enduro 29 also proves that they can't do it in a size less then medium. Fine with me, but, for example, not for my wife.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by bus3 View Post
    Thanks guys I think I should just get a 29er since 90 percent of my riding will be in MN. Pretty flat here. Thanks again for all the great info!
    Now you have to ride the different suspension types before buying. If your shop charges $50-75 for a demo ride that can be applied to the purchase- DO IT!

I bought a 12 SJ comp, 6 months later demoed a TBLT for the hell of it, man rode so much better to me, sold the SJ and bought a TBc. For me, I like VPP better. You don't want to find out you like something better after buying the wrong bike.

Also look at some other brands as far as value goes. Specialized has really placed a premium on their bikes. One example, that SJ you're looking at is $6400 a mix of X7, X9 and XO, non Kasima Fork and only the front is carbon.

You can get a full XT spec TBLTc full carbon frame for $5699 or the new Niner Rip 9 RDO with XX1 for $6499 or in April the RIP 9 RDO full XT for $5499.

If you like the FSR set up, there are other brands licensing it from Spec that offer better value.

Also keep in mind the SJ has that propriatary shock you can only get from them if you ever need a replacement,
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I think a lot of the new 650B FS bikes look great, but I also think they are more bike (travel) than my skills or needs can handle. I would like a shorter travel 650B or maybe a shorter travel 29er. I've been thinking about the Jet 9, but it doesn't really have slack angles and short stays I'm interested in trying out. I'm not sure I know of any bikes that actually fit in my current plans yet. I also would like to get away from 30lb bikes, but not sure if thats possible without breaking my wallet either.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    Now you have to ride the different suspension types before buying. If your shop charges $50-75 for a demo ride that can be applied to the purchase- DO IT!

I bought a 12 SJ comp, 6 months later demoed a TBLT for the hell of it, man rode so much better to me, sold the SJ and bought a TBc. For me, I like VPP better. You don't want to find out you like something better after buying the wrong bike.

Also look at some other brands as far as value goes. Specialized has really placed a premium on their bikes. One example, that SJ you're looking at is $6400 a mix of X7, X9 and XO, non Kasima Fork and only the front is carbon.

You can get a full XT spec TBLTc full carbon frame for $5699 or the new Niner Rip 9 RDO with XX1 for $6499 or in April the RIP 9 RDO full XT for $5499.

If you like the FSR set up, there are other brands licensing it from Spec that offer better value.

Also keep in mind the SJ has that propriatary shock you can only get from them if you ever need a replacement,

Tallboy LTc was my quiver killer

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Wish I Were Riding View Post
    I think a lot of the new 650B FS bikes look great, but I also think they are more bike (travel) than my skills or needs can handle. I would like a shorter travel 650B or maybe a shorter travel 29er. I've been thinking about the Jet 9, but it doesn't really have slack angles and short stays I'm interested in trying out. I'm not sure I know of any bikes that actually fit in my current plans yet. I also would like to get away from 30lb bikes, but not sure if thats possible without breaking my wallet either.
    Look at the IntenseSpider Comp29. Short chainstays for a 115-130mm travel 29er with HA of 68.5 120mm fork or 67.5 with 140mm fork
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Demoed a Norco Sight 1 today. Really nice, more bike than I can handle, but at least 29lbs. I don't think the bike I want is made yet. I haven't heard of any bikes with the Fox 32 650b forks yet which while 140mm are still only about 3.3 lbs. That more than I need but probably doable.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Axe View Post
    Specialized is staying away from 650b because they have missed the train. They need time to do tires as well.

Enduro 29 also proves that they can't do it in a size less then medium. Fine with me, but, for example, not for my wife.
    650B/27.5 = the new 26"+

Specialized doesn't want to make a third wheel size and their dealers don't want a third wheel size. They asked.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GSJ1973 View Post
    650B/27.5 = the new 26"+
    Actually 650B = the new 27.5 minus! 584 BSD is 22.9" + a true 2.2" tire = 27.3". 0.9" bigger than the same 2.2" tire on a 26" rim.
    The trouble with having an open mind is that people will insist on trying to put things in it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    If you want a hardtail 29 that you can climb, jump, descend and beat up on check our the Transition Transam 29. Its a really fun bike to ride and can hammer when you need to.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by GSJ1973 View Post
    Specialized doesn't want to make a third wheel size and their dealers don't want a third wheel size. They asked.
    There will be no third wheel size. They will phase out 26". Personally, I could not care less about that, but it seems it is bound to happen. It is somewhat feasible to go from 24" to 650b when growing up, as you can cram it into an XS frame.

I hope 26" stays with ultra fat tires though. Not fatbike sized 100mm rim, 5" wide tires, but something in 40mm/3" range, so that 83mm cranks can be used. I think I will like that on an FS hardtail.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast