mtbr member
    Sep 2005

29" wheel on a 26" frame, is it a big problem?

Hello everyone,

This is my first thread, Maybe it sounds a bit dumb, but I am interested to know the technical possibilities to do so.

I have a 2003 GF Big Sur GS M size frame and there is about 4.5cm clearance when I measure from my tire (26" maverick rims with Hutchsion top slick 1.3"). Since I will only ride on city roads, so I plan to build a Maverick A719 rims+700x37/42C tires (I guess). Except from the brake problem, is the clearance big enough to mount a 29" wheel?

One more to ask, if I go for 29", what frame will suit my riding condition most? (below $600 is preferred if possible)

Thanks for your guy's attention, and happy riding!

Recovering couch patato
    All 26" bikes fit between 30-45mm 700c tires. BB is raised, which can be good or bad.

Some people use the $470 Redline Monocog as a 29" commuter. I prefer 60mm slicks on my 29"ers for commuting.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Cloxxki
    All 26" bikes fit between 30-45mm 700c tires. BB is raised, which can be good or bad.

Some people use the $470 Redline Monocog as a 29" commuter. I prefer 60mm slicks on my 29"ers for commuting.
    So it means, the 700C series are only a bit larger than 26" tires? or in other words its diameter is similar to a wider 26" tires?

Your setup is interesting, is it because it has a better grip?

Best regards from Hong Kong,
    KONE_alta

Recovering couch patato
    Cool, from Hong Kong, welcome to the forums!

700c has 63mm larger rims than 26", so the difference is 31.5mm in clearance. Most 26" frames have plenty of clearance vertically with a 55mm tall tire, which makes for skinny 700c's to fit fine.

Fat slicks (Schwalbe Big Apple 2.35") are heavy, but roll like no other. Average speeds on a commute are very high, and I seem to reach the same speeds as on a narrower slick tire, or better. Also, cutting corners and curbs is fun and easy, the tires are more bomber than big knobby tires. 57mm true casing width... Grip is indeed good on most surfaces. Light offroading is possible, but they will alsways be slicks, so be careful. More dependable than skinny tires to me, and I like the comfort. With fat slicks, I hardly get to use the brakes, I blast over everything, and have enough grip to brake at the very last moment if necessary.
    But there's plenty good ~40mm tires out there as well.

Bunker Hill Bikes

Cross-breeding

Here is an example of a 26er frame that has been adapted to use 29er wheelset.

A 1992 Trek 8700 frame fitted with 29er wheels. Adapters for the cantilever brakes to bring them up because of the larger rim diameter. Then I added a Kona Project 2 cross fork.

Viola!

Take a look.

---Chad

Bunker Hill Bikes

Pics

Cross-Breeding pics
    Attached Images Attached Images