Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

29" tire wishlist : which tire would you prefer in 29"?

5K views 43 replies 31 participants last post by  2:1 
#1 ·
Hi all,

Repeating topic yes, but remember that the tire brands are reading this forum, too! They need trustable input on which tires we'd really like to see hit the market, and would actually buy.
I'm in contact with a big and capable tire manufacturer who's now researching it's 29" options and priorities.

My votes:
Schwalbe Racing Ralph 29x2.1" (500-520g), for pure racing
Schwalbe Racing Ralph 29x2.4" (650g), for rigid or rougher suspended trail riding/marathons
Schwalbe Fast Fred 29x2.35" (560g) for loose or even sandy courses and ultra-low rolling resistance. My favorite 26" tread!
Kenda Klimax 29x2.1" (Pure race tire, would be quite light)
Maxxis Flyweight 29x2.0 (370g).
Maxxis Minotaur 1.95 (420g) (wet race tire, and on dry grass)

And then I'd like some bulky 29x2.5's for deep snow (if I ever see it in my life), or indoor snow downhill races (which we have here). Also a chance to try out 30" DH, and how it works out.

As I see it, we now have plenty of allround tires, each with it's own specilism :
WTB Nanoraptor : allround, good in sand, rolls very well or best
WTB Motoraptor : allround, good on rocks
IRC Notos : allround, good in loose and wet? (few experience)
IRC Mythos : allround, good in loose dirt? (no experience with 29" version)
Bontrager AcX Jones : allround, superb front tire for dry conditions, wet pretty good, too
(non-available) Maxxis HighRoller : allround, superb over wet dirt, being quite narrow.
Kenda Klaw XT : Allround, slow roller, but great gripper in mud and deep snow.
Kenda Khan : Off-road capable touring tire, rolls very well.
Schwalbe Big Apple 2.35" : Slick, rolls like mad, sufficient as a dry weather rear

Come on, let your wishes be heard, be original and make it interesting to the industry to further diversify tire offerings!
Try to make clear what YOU want, and what you'd honestly think would sell the most tires. We don't want tire manufacturers help us out, but offer something only a few of us would buy. Thanks in advance!

Happy trails,

J

See less See more
#27 ·
#29 · (Edited)
2.4" Mutano like the 26" version would be GREAT!

Make it a thin, supple, high quality casing that really rolls and an honest 2.4" wide and I think it'd be a good seller. As far as a racing slick, why not just a thinner casing for the current nano? You might need a stout casing and a 2.5" something for the "heartier appetites" too. I think 2-3 new tires and we'd be all set.

#31 ·
Fastskiguy said:
As far as a racing slick, why not just a thinner casing for the current nano? I think 2-3 new tires and we'd be all set.
IMO, the Nano is great, but lacks side knobs. I tend to wash out with it. It's wide enough, and has all the traction I expect from a racing slick and more, but I bet rolling could be much faster, too. I'm affraid a Nanoraptor "Light" wouldn't come close to a Racing Ralph 29x2.25 (about same width as Nano 2.1). The 26" version of the RR already rolls faster and grips better than the present 29" DNA Kevlar Nano.
Pushing a tire company into making a tire that might not have the monopoly for it's type of riding for much, is unwise, it's not like they'll come right back to make yet another tire for us then. Just too expensive, and they need to sell too many tires to break even.

I'd say the RR is a superb semi-light racing tire, especially on dry soil, maybe someone should come with an even lighter tire, more suited for the wet as well. Maxxis said goodbye to is, but their Minotaur 380 is really the tire I'd want for wet condition. It's narrow, so rolls well in mud, and grips sufficiently for all non-extreme circumstances. It's won me my only 3 wins, all winter races.

Riding Maxxis Minotaur 380's on a damp grass course :

Attachments

#32 ·
I would like to see the continental explorer in a 29in tire.

In fact, I would also like to see the twister, vertical and escape in a 29in tire.

I would like to see a review of the vapor too.

Any ideas on how to make these wishes come true?

#33 ·
The Explorer is pretty much allround, hardly very specific for a certain purpose. Have you tried all presently available 29" tires? Allround just as well! If Conti would make an Explorer, it would hurt their already slow Vapor sales. Now, a fast version of the Twister, that would help the market, as a true race tire, lighter and faster than the present offerings.
If tire companies are concinced to make their most favorite allround tire in 29", and it's not a real addition to what's available already, it will cost them money and they won't be convinced so easily the next time.

#34 ·
Thanks for the advice. I put the explorer on my wish list b/c I have used the 26 versions of many of the other 29er tires on the market and find the explorer a superior product.

I assumed that the wish list is a way for the tire makers to know what kind of tires the 29er crowed likes. I am sure that I will try the vapor. As you said most of the tires are all around type tires. If I am disappointed with its performance, I will be sure and let continental know that IMHO the explorer is a better choice for its only 29er tire.

#35 ·
Willy Wonka would like...

My current favs are:

IRC Notos for All Weather
IRC Mythos for Hard Pack
Kenda Klaws for Snot Pack

I'd like...no, would sell your kidney for:
Hutchinson Python Air Lights/Scorpion Air Lights
Michelin Wild Grippers

Currently testing:
Continental Vapor Pro

I'd also like to see more choices in width. I've only ran into the balloons of 2.2/2.1. More in between stuff like 1.9(5)'s. Thank you for your support.

#36 ·
I was about to list the Conti Explorer, too, but I haven't tried the Vapor so I'm willing to give that a shot as an all-around tire that might do just fine.

I'll also throw out the suggestion for a Geax Sedona. I've had a great experience with this tire and think it might do well as a 29er.

#37 ·
For Colorado, the best combo there is:

2.4 Panaracer FR 2.4 for the front
2.3 Gazzi Core for the rear

Both Stans compatible.

Same as my 26", see no reason to change. The worst thing that can happen to 29'rs is wimpy, fragile, thinwall tires. Save 'em for racing. For riding, sucking up the extra weight and getting tires that can survive rock strikes, cuts, and the pointy bits one finds on the trail the way to go. There's plenty of "fast" 29'r vegan tires already, now give us some beef!

#40 ·
Fastskiguy said:
Make it a thin, supple, high quality casing that really rolls and an honest 2.4" wide and I think it'd be a good seller. As far as a racing slick, why not just a thinner casing for the current nano? You might need a stout casing and a 2.5" something for the "heartier appetites" too. I think 2-3 new tires and we'd be all set.
Tire weight must be a regional thing. Here in CO, the 2.4 Mutanoraptors, while fast and a good high-volume racing tire, sucks as a "trail" tire. They're just too fragile and one piece of shale or a rock strike on the sidewall ruins them. A couple of years ago I was lured in by their high-volume and low weight but I did one ride on Monarch Crest with a set of Mutano 2.4"s and they both had to be retired for casing cuts through the sidewall. I bought another set thinking it was a fluke, less than a week later, lost another rear tire with a casing cut through the sidewall on Deer Creek. That was it for me.

Then I started running Panaracer 2.4 FRs, but decided I didn't like that tire at the rear of the bike and since late last summer have run a Gazzi Core 2.3 in the back. It's proven to be a great combination and while I know they're much heavier than the Mutano's I've taken adopted a Dr. Strangelove approach to it. Still have the same Panaracer in the front. I've not cut a casing or even had a flat that was not goathead/cactus related since.

#42 ·
Padre said:
That is such an easy question....
1. WTB 2.5 Weirwolf, Moto, Mutano
2. Panaracer Fire 2.1 & 2.4
3. Maxxis High Roller 2.1 & 2.3 & 2.5
Padre rides my trails so we agree on tires. I have never ridden the Weirwolf, but the 26ers who have 'em are the only ones who can nearly match me in the loose stuff.

The Panaracer Fire XC was, by far, my favorite 26" tire. Light, rolls well and grabs loose stuff. Would love to see it grow up to a 29!
No experience with Maxxis.

Meanwhile, I've certainly had no problems with the Jones nor Mythos currently on my bike. Just put the WTB Kevlar Motos on the new bike I'm building, but it's look so pretty I'm hestitant to take it out on the trail!

Question: Maybe because I've been so impressed with bigger wheels, but has anyone else had this experience: There seems to be fewer differences in traction among 29" tires than 26" tires? I've only tried a handful of brands at this point, but I don't notice the huge differences that I used to on smaller wheels. I think the fact that 29" tires are more "forgiving" in nature anyway is why I like 'em.

#43 ·
Interesting point.I almost exclusively ride my Nanoraptor in the rear, which is probably the least knobby 29" tire out there, it seems to suffice in all conditions. And if it fails to provide traction, the 26" riders are already behind you, hiking.
Same goes for braking traction, even with 185mm rotors I never feel like I need to be careful, more brake is better, traction is barely an issue.
In cornering grip, differences between tires are much better noticable, at least to me.

#44 ·
weirwolf, blade 2.25, timberwolf

I'd been happiest with the Blade and the Weirwolf on my 26. But now, I've got a Timberwolf, which I'm pretty stoked on, too. All of these would be great 29er tires, but a T-wolf may be too heavy, and too tall, for some.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.