wot no bike?

29" studded tire suggestions?

Hi all:

I was just doing a little research on 29" studded tire options, and was wondering if anyone had any first hand experience with any in particular. At these prices I'd rather not experiment myself. I was eyeing the 700c Nokian Hakkapeliitta W240, which looks like it runs just under $70.00 with carbide studs. There's also the Schwalbe Snow Stud for ~$50.00, and I wonder if that would be sufficient. Any thoughts or suggestions on these or other options?

Thanks,

-pete

conjoinicorned
    Nokian Hakkapeliitta W240
    that is the ONLY (imo of course) studded tire that will actually last any length of time. i haven't directly tried the schwalbes (not in canada), but i've tried many, many other types and they all wear after a month.

the hakka's will last seasons, definately worth the price.
    what would rainbow unicorn do?

highly visible
    What's your intended use? Riding offroad in mixed snow with occasional ice patches? Commuting on icy, rutted roads? Riding on top of packed snow? Lots of different potential uses here, and without knowing yours I don't think we can say what's best.

Here are the choices:
    - Kenda Klondike in 700x35 and 700x40. I have not ridden these.

- Innova studded in 700x35 and 700x45. I have not ridden these. Some love them, but many complain of studs tearing out prematurely, which might be why these are the only tires for which QBP sells a stud replacement kit.

- Nokian Hakkapeliitta W106 in 700x35 and 700x45. I have both. The 45 is available in North America only through peterwhitecycles.com. The 35 is a cyclocross size, and the 45 is a small 29"er - basically 1.75". It floats on top of packed snow like a 26x2.0 though. These tires last forever. I've ridden each of mine through multiple commute seasons with NO visible wear to the studs or the tread.

- Schwalbe Snow Stud 700x38. Don't know much about this one.
    Last edited by GlowBoy; 11-03-2006 at 08:41 PM.
    "People like GloyBoy are deaf. They are partisan, intellectually lazy & usually very angry." -Jaybo

indigosky
    Quote Originally Posted by GlowBoy

- Nokian Hakkapeliitta W108 in 700x35 and 700x45. I have both. The 45 is available in North America only through peterwhitecycles.com. The 35 is a cyclocross size, and the 45 is a small 29"er - basically 1.75". It floats on top of packed snow like a 26x2.0 though. These tires last forever. I've ridden each of mine through multiple commute seasons with NO visible wear to the studs or the tread.
    Also the Nokian Hakkapeliitta W240 700x45's that are fantastic and available through places other than Peter White

highly visible
    Quote Originally Posted by indigosky
    Also the Nokian Hakkapeliitta W240 700x45's that are fantastic and available through places other than Peter White
    Whoops, you're right. I forgot to mention the W240 with 240 studs instead of 106 studs. But I believe it is a 700x40 and not a 700x45.
    Last edited by GlowBoy; 11-03-2006 at 08:41 PM.
    "People like GloyBoy are deaf. They are partisan, intellectually lazy & usually very angry." -Jaybo

Out there
    Aug 2006
    where to buy??

highly visible
    Quote Originally Posted by pinkheadedbug
    where to buy??
    Kenda Klondikes, Nokian Hakkapeliitta W106 700x35 and Innovas: http://www.bikemannetwork.com/biking/c/COMPTRSTUD

Schwalbe Snow Stud: http://schwalbetires.com/node/198/ok

All the Nokians and the Schwalbe:
    http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/studdedtires.asp

mtbr member

How about making your own?

I seem to recall reading an article a few years back about how to make your own studded tires using screws and a puncture resistant tire liner. Anybody try this?
    29er Fan!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Potential Roadkill
    I seem to recall reading an article a few years back about how to make your own studded tires using screws and a puncture resistant tire liner. Anybody try this?

Me. I like this method better than the studded tires you can buy, the screws get a better bite IME. You have to restrict them to offroad use only though, unless you can find carbide screws. You can put as few or as many in a tire as you like, and use whatever pattern you think will work best for you. I slice open an old tube for use as a liner, and have never had a stud induced flat. A couple hints, predrill the holes from the outside of the tire to ensure that the screws come through the lug, if you don't it's difficult to tell where the screw will come out. Screw length - size them to come out of the lug 1/16 to 1/8 of an inch - too long and they have enough leverage to just fold the lug over instead of digging in to get a bite.
    Just another nighthawk at the diner

Rock -n-roll means well but it can't help tellin' young boys lies...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RobW
    I slice open an old tube for use as a liner, and have never had a stud induced flat.
    Do you do anything to keep the liner-tube in place?
    A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have.

Cars Are Evil
    I have some 26" Nokian Extreme 296s and they've held up very well.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by miles e
    Do you do anything to keep the liner-tube in place?
    Yeah, I put another tube in and fill it with air.
    Just another nighthawk at the diner

Rock -n-roll means well but it can't help tellin' young boys lies...

Out there
    Aug 2006
    (Some of?) the Schwalbes are supposed to have carbide studs now but I eventually went for the Nokian W240s from peter white.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by pinkheadedbug
    where to buy??
    Shops with a QBP account can order The 700x35 and 40 Kendas, Nokian 35s, and Innova 35 and 45.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RobW
    Yeah, I put another tube in and fill it with air.
    Pneumatic tires- Brilliant!

I had thought about using a tube for this purpose (layers of packing and duct tape work too, but ruin the ride of the tire), but wondered if it might shift around and leave the inflated tube exposed, especially at lower pressures. Guess I'll give it a try.
    A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have.

wot no bike?
    What's your intended use? Riding offroad in mixed snow with occasional ice patches? Commuting on icy, rutted roads? Riding on top of packed snow? Lots of different potential uses here, and without knowing yours I don't think we can say what's best.
    Glowboy, et al:

Sorry I didn't see the responses to my question until just now. Anyway, my intended use is offroad in snow with ice patches. Thanks everyone for the input and suggestions...

-pete

highly visible
    Quote Originally Posted by pahearn
    Glowboy, et al:

Sorry I didn't see the responses to my question until just now. Anyway, my intended use is offroad in snow with ice patches. Thanks everyone for the input and suggestions...

-pete
    Your best choices are probably the W106 700x45 (if flotation on top of snow is more important), the W240 700x40 (if there will be a lot of ice and absolute ice grip is more important), or a home studded tire.

Self studded tires are a very different animal -- they'll offer FAR more grip for extreme conditions than any of the commercial options, you can stud up one of the fatties for better flotation, and you can choose how many studs and where to place them, BUT they won't last as long as a commercially studded tire, they'll be a bunch of work to make and they'll have vastly more rolling resistance. Pick your poison.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Your best choices are probably the W106 700x45 (if flotation on top of snow is more important), the W240 700x40 (if there will be a lot of ice and absolute ice grip is more important), or a home studded tire.

Self studded tires are a very different animal -- they'll offer FAR more grip for extreme conditions than any of the commercial options, you can stud up one of the fatties for better flotation, and you can choose how many studs and where to place them, BUT they won't last as long as a commercially studded tire, they'll be a bunch of work to make and they'll have vastly more rolling resistance. Pick your poison.
    I agree with GlowBoy's assessment. Ran the W240's last winter. On ice, harpacked snow, or in up to 3" of loose snow they are great! Anything more and you will wish you had something fatter.
    [SIZE=3]Flombe[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    A few years back, several of us got the Nokian Extremes. Great tire, expensive though. We found that if there is not a lot of ice on your ride(iced pavement), then the fattest most aggressive tires were the way to go, even though they did not have studs. Floatation in snow is quite helpful

The Panaracer 2.3 with low psi might be a great option for snowy trails.