Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004

29" Mountain King tires with Black Chili?

I am considering the MK 2.2 for a rear tire. I have a 26" MK 2.4 protection on the rear of my 26er, and really love it, and I believe it has a lot to do with the Black Chili compound. Are the 29er versions available with the Black Chili Compound? They are not labeled as Supersonic or Protection, so I am guessing not, but does anyone know for sure?

aka baycat

Orbea USA

Black chili, or not black chili

I've ridden both and don't really notice that much difference on the trail; on the road to the trail, however, the 29er doesn't wear down as fast.
    http://www.orbea-usa.com
    Twitter: ORBEAJOSH

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    don't worry too much. i am sure that most of the black chili story is marketing ...

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by hellocook
    don't worry too much. i am sure that most of the black chili story is marketing ...
    I don't know.... the traction of the one I have on wet rocks and roots is pretty impressive, and I have a hard time believing it is just the tread pattern. It usually has a lot to do with rubber compound. I definitely noticed the difference between Stick-E and non Stick-E Kenda tires.

Not saying this is a dealbreaker for the 29" MK's, as they still seem to get rave reviews for what I am looking for: a rear tire for east coast winter conditions.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    there is no doubt that conti has greatly improved their compounds.

i am using the 29er MKs (tubeless stan's) as well as 26" MK on 1 bike as protection 2.4 and on another as supersonic 2.2, both with tubes. Before i used up a set of UST MK 2.2. All these tires are great and i have had a lot of luck with them.

performance is comparable, i would consider wet traction on roots slighlty better with the UST and the 29er. I assume due to the tubeless set up and the bigger 29er foot print. So I guess tubeless and running lower pressures will help more than "black chili". also, the non-black-chilis are definetily on par or very close in performance to the black chili mountain kings.