mtbr member
    Apr 2006

29 inch city riding

HI
    Are 29'ers good for city riding as well as off road? I'm looking for speed on one but they seem marketed to off road conditions. I'd like to use it on dirt as well as pavement.

College
    Jun 2004
    ermm ... what's the question ? Just go for it if you want to do it. Road bikes are generally faster on the road though. =) You can always stick some road tires on your mountain wheels though.
    College boy

luckiest of the unlucky
    Yes. Get one.

...hurry!

Seriously. Do it now. Stop staring at the computer and go buy a 29er (unless you're ordering online)

mtbr member

29er double duty as commuter

I often ride my 29er to work and back, somedays more road (when weather is bad and I don't want to get too dirty prior to work) or a road-trail mix.

Works great! Lots of fun!

Cheers,
    Marty

Recovering couch patato
    Fat 29" slick tires make me A-to-B faster than I'd manage on a 23mm tired lightweight road bike. Let alone in foul conditions...

mtbr member

What Clox said

I find a 29er with decent roadworthy tires to make the perfect commuter/all rounder. I run ritchey z maxes on both my Kona Sutra (technically a tourer though a pretty good off roader with the right tires) and my Para. They rock on and off the road.
    I find the durability of the wheels/tires to be an asset when it comes to potholes and avoiding obstacles. Tried the roadbike thing and didn't care for it much, to ruff a ride, and a bit to hard on the equipment.
    29er Fan!

Cold. Blue. Steel.
    Well, afterall, a 29er is merely a 700c road rim with a big honkin' knobby tire on it.
    Mount 23/25mm road tires (or even preferably 28mm-32mm) on your wheelset (presuming you don't have really wide (24+mm) newer generation MTB rims on your sled and you've basically got an upright road bike. Don't nitpik this, fellas... I am making a generalization as to why it'd work so well on the tarmac.
    I believe this is the "one" bike that can do it all based on tire changes. Of course, most folks have said this about CX bikes for many years, too!
    You won't be winning crits on it, but you can certainly do just about anything else.

Go... buy... one... at once!

OGG
    Spinning and Grinning...

mtbr member
    I bought a cobia a bit back and have put about 50 miles on it, about 48 of that on the road unfortunately. I dig it, but I can't say how much switching tires would help since I haven't tried it but definately considering it. I'm kinda lazy though so if I do switch tires chances are even if I go trail ride I'll keep that tire so it has to be good all around. I'll check the tires listed in this post out..

jrm
    mtbr member

The c;dale bad boy

is kinda cool. They seem like they have room for pretty large tires..

luckiest of the unlucky
    Quote Originally Posted by Cloxxki
    Fat 29" slick tires make me A-to-B faster than I'd manage on a 23mm tired lightweight road bike. Let alone in foul conditions...
    And what tire would that be? Me wants.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Schwalbe Big Apple 2.35 or 2.0

http://schwalbetires.com/node/61/ok

You will never look at city riding the same again.

mtbr member
    let's say I put 200 miles on my bike next month, do you really think I would notice an improvement with a tire like that

vs the $80 or so it is gonna cost me to buy them? Might as well go narrow for less rolling resistance I'd guess..

mtbr member

Kenda Khans much cheaper

Check out the Kenda Khans for road use, they are cheaper than the Big Apples.
    Nashbar has them on sale right now for $15 .

http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?c...eid=&pagename=

I have not ridden mine yet since I'm running Bonti ACXs as my do-it-all tire.

Cheers,
    Marty

highly visible
    Quote Originally Posted by BrandonMiller
    let's say I put 200 miles on my bike next month, do you really think I would notice an improvement with a tire like that

vs the $80 or so it is gonna cost me to buy them? Might as well go narrow for less rolling resistance I'd guess..
    Narrower isn't going to buy you less rolling resistance, just less weight.

By the way, I second the Kenda Khan. I've been using one as the rear tire on my commuter Karate Monkey for over a month now, and although it's heavy it's just as fast-rolling as the Maxxis WormDrive, which is impressive. Noticeably more offroad grip than the WormDrive.

If you want something fast rolling with decent (700x42, 1.6") volume that is also light (and don't mind the 700x42 size), NOTHING will match the 445g WormDrive.
    "People like GloyBoy are deaf. They are partisan, intellectually lazy & usually very angry." -Jaybo

mtbr member
    The side knobs on that Kenda would scare me away from using it on the road. The Big Apples are worth the cash - they last forever...
    Just another nighthawk at the diner

Rock -n-roll means well but it can't help tellin' young boys lies...

Recovering couch patato
    No way, $80 to get a set of Big Apples?
    Anyway, they last for years, and they really are worth any price for what they offer.

Think DH tire cush and grip + road skinny speed. No compromize, BOTH.
    Big trucks move out of your way as you bomb down the street. I don't even bother taking sharp corners, I cut them all though gravel, grass, mud, whatever. One straight 20mph line between A and B.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cloxxki
    though gravel, grass, mud, whatever
    I was riding with my family, and someone had thrown a bottle on the trail, it was busted up, but in big chunks, not little bits. I hit a chunk and sent it zinging off the trail, I figured I was gonna get a flat for sure, inspected the tire, not even a cut.
    Just another nighthawk at the diner

Rock -n-roll means well but it can't help tellin' young boys lies...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RobW
    The side knobs on that Kenda would scare me away from using it on the road. The Big Apples are worth the cash - they last forever...

I had some Hutschinson semi-slicks on one of my 26" bikes (can't remember the name of the tires) that had bigger knoblets than the Khan and that was never an issue for me.

As for the price of Big Apples, that are about 40 Euro for a pair (plus tubes) in Germany. Don't know what shipping is to the States but check out ebay.de. 80 beans is way too much. 40 Euro is about 48 US Dollars.

Cheers,
    Marty

I always bleed like this.
    I have the Kenda Khans on my inbred. Not sure why someone would be afraid to use them, I commute with them and they are pretty damn nice. Big, sticky and yet fast, for $30 for the pair how can you go wrong to give them a shot? I think people assume that because they don't cost $40 each they can't be any good.

Recovering couch patato
    European prices are even including 16-21% VAT.

highly visible
    Quote Originally Posted by RobW
    What side knobs? It's a shallow invert tread much like the Conti Town & Country. I cannot imagine taking a corner hard enough for the side tread to be any kind of an issue on pavement, and I corner a lot faster than most cars (though maybe that's still wussy by roadie standards for all I know).
    "People like GloyBoy are deaf. They are partisan, intellectually lazy & usually very angry." -Jaybo

Gold Member
    This is similar to my question last week, I was asking about making my 29r a cyclocross-ish bike.
    Meaning more road use for commuting, with the option to hit local trails on the way to or from class.
    Some folks had some pretty good ideas and set-ups.
    CyclingCentralVa.org
    Shop Hand
    On-One Lurcher
    S-Works DEMO
    Crux
    BMC SLR01
    LOOK675

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by marty_hd
    I had some Hutschinson semi-slicks on one of my 26" bikes (can't remember the name of the tires) that had bigger knoblets than the Khan and that was never an issue for me.

As for the price of Big Apples, that are about 40 Euro for a pair (plus tubes) in Germany. Don't know what shipping is to the States but check out ebay.de. 80 beans is way too much. 40 Euro is about 48 US Dollars.

Cheers,
    Marty
    The Big Bad Apples are $30 a pop at Speedgoat. Worth every penny and if anyone has not tried these for pavement mashing and all around fun in the streets - ya haven't lived on your 29"er yet. I've ridden across Iowa 2x on the Big Apples and had a blast. Commuted in Vienna on them every day where they munched up cobblestone, tram tracks, curbs, potholes, gravel and were about as secure underneath me as it gets for pavement crunching. Is $60, or even $80 too much for a product that provides you with an absolute blast? Heck no...

BB

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Anybody have a 29" with road or city geometry or are you just putting the big apples on your mountain bikes?

Recovering couch patato
    Most will use them on mountainbikes. Surly Cross-Checks take the 2.0's, so that's what I have on mine.

For instance, Giant sells go-to-school bikes with the 28x2.35 fatties.

Check out http://www.balloonbikes.com/en/startseite/
    Apparently a Schwalbe site to promote the advantages of wide tires.

They love to tell recreational cyclists that wider tires are great, but refuse to believe there's a market for increasing diameter on MTB tires. Germans, gotta love them, gotta hate them...
    When they made the 2.35", there was maybe one small German bike maker that offered a bike that fit it, some sort of cruiser thing. I wonder where Schwalbe thinks all these Big Apples are going lately. They must be sure the city bike market is finally going there way, while it's mostly bling'ed out MTB's sporting them for commuting/training duty.
    More and more city bikes are built to fit them though, which is cool as those frames then also become a welcome target for frankbike builds. City bikes can be turned into CX/Road bikes pretty well, and with luck the frames can be had for cheap.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceBrown
    Commuted in Vienna on them every day where they munched up cobblestone, tram tracks, curbs, potholes, gravel and were about as secure underneath me as it gets for pavement crunching.
    Vienna, Austria??? I'll be there in two weeks for the Vienna City Marathon (running, not riding). Did you ride any trails there? Where?

I am using Bonti ACXs on my daily commute to work, too lazy to change tires between the working week (commuter) and weekends (woods and trails).

How would the Big Apples do on semi-maintained trails (ie gravel, some mud, occasional roots, ruts). These trails are part of my commute and if the Big Apples hold up I may give them a try and dedicate a bike to commuting since my second 29er frame is on the way.

Cheers,
    Marty

Recovering couch patato
    I would say if singletrack is less than dry, Big Apples are out of place. I've done wet grass rides on them though which were fun. No grip, just float. Don't mistake the tread for knobs, it's a slick with minute grooves. The similar but higher-end 26" Supermoto is used for sandy singletrack around here.
    Don't attempt a muddy rooty descend on Big Apples, but that's just common sense.

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by marty_hd
    Vienna, Austria??? I'll be there in two weeks for the Vienna City Marathon (running, not riding). Did you ride any trails there? Where?

I am using Bonti ACXs on my daily commute to work, too lazy to change tires between the working week (commuter) and weekends (woods and trails).

How would the Big Apples do on semi-maintained trails (ie gravel, some mud, occasional roots, ruts). These trails are part of my commute and if the Big Apples hold up I may give them a try and dedicate a bike to commuting since my second 29er frame is on the way.

Cheers,
    Marty
    Have fun running the marathon.

Did I ride any trails in Vienna? Pretty much all of them - daily during trail riding season (they are closed end of October to March so the critters can hybernate and not be scared by big, bad mountain bikes on the trails). I lived in the 19th district a block from some trailheads into the Vienna Woods which, after a good 30 - 45 minute climb up singletrack and fire road led to an amazing system of hiking/biking trails. It was the best backyard I will ever have in this life!! Plenty of websites and trail maps available to cover the trail system. Any LBS in Vienna has maps available.

I wouldn't take the Big Apples off road unless it was completely dry and there were no loose climbs or descents involved. These are slick tires with the requisite cosmetic "grooves" to please the consumer as Sheldon Brown would say. Not designed for mud and roots. Too be honest, I have never taken them off road (outside of gravel and dry dirt). Ask J (Cloxxki) for a full opinion as I think he has messed around with his Big Apples in more non-paved territory than I have.

I own both the 2.0's and the 2.35's.

You might want to investigate something like the XR 1.8's for commuting that would also include some semi-maintained trails with roots, ruts, gravel and mud. They have a low tread profile and provide excellent grip in dry and mud while rolling pretty darn well on pavement to and from the trial.

BB

luckiest of the unlucky
    Quote Originally Posted by PoorBehavior
    Big, sticky and yet fast, for $30 for the pair how can you go wrong to give them a shot? I think people assume that because they don't cost $40 each they can't be any good.
    I ordered a pair as soon as the link popped up in this thread. I can't see one Big Apple being worth 3 or a similar tire.

( )
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by pooky
    HI
    Are 29'ers good for city riding as well as off road? I'm looking for speed on one but they seem marketed to off road conditions. I'd like to use it on dirt as well as pavement.

How much speed do you actually need in the city? I find that speed is irrelevant in the city because there are so many vehicles and people and stoplights and intersections that prevent you from maintaining high speed for very long. If you're talking about being able to accelerate quickly, that's another thing. But chugging along on big wheels is fun, and once you get them up to speed, they cruise. Plus you can bunny hop curbs and bottles and small dogs and hit some single track on the way and not worry about flats so much. I've been riding my 29er 1X9 to work the past few months and I'm fortunate to be able to mix in some singletrack before work. As far as speed, I've ridden to work on gears, single speed, fixed gear, fat tires (big apples), small tires (panaracers pacela's) and no setup gets me to work any faster than another. YMMV of course. Currently I have nanoraptor rear and ignitor front and they're fine for both the road and dirt. NOt as fast as a true road bike or cross bike of course, but unless you have long stretches of open road, that doesn't matter. Plus, when you're going a little slower, you get to see cool stuff, like this:
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Looks like no one's been chatting about 29" riding in the city for a good while, but ever since i've switched to 29" bikes never looked back to 26". I've been buying the Genesis 29" bikes for years now and for the inexpensive price they have held up for me. Right now I have the Genesis GS29 and upgrading parts on it, and looking to get some better tires for it. I've had Schwalbe Big Apples before and those were nice but i do want a higher psi tire with a 2"-2.25" thickness and a decent price, any suggestions are appreciated
    Finally rolling on 29" x 2.0" Schwalbe Big Apples

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ThundaCrymz View Post
    any suggestions are appreciated
    Maxxis Grifters at 29 x 2.5, they last forever so I don't know a current price. I have riding mine on a Surly Orgre for 2 years + as an urban commuter.

Members who have read this thread: 43