XSEAL
    Feb 2018

29 frame recommendations - trail/fun race

I’m looking to build a 29er for trails and fun racing. Full suspension. I’m 55, 205, 6’, competitive x-SEAL. I ride to stay in shape. I road race motorcycles, used to moto-x, and have good bike skills. My weakness is climbs (no surprise at 205). I like a water bottle. Cost not issue. Have been riding carbon Farley with Mastodon and carbon bits, alternating b/t carbon 29+ wheels and fat ones. Done several races with that bike and have done well (2d in age) in modest fields. Say I don’t care about winning until the flag drops and the red haze appears ...

Would like sturdy but light (those are my 2). Based on experience, Anticipate xx Eagle drivetrain, Dt240 hubs (have 350 and live the quiet), Enve stem/bar, RF Next R crank, AB oval ring, and 2.5/2.6 tires.

Mid-Atlantic. Mostly Xc type trails.

My LBS is great, Trek and Specialized. But I’m sure would build any frame. Was considering ordering ‘19 Fuel EX 9.9 frame, but having doubts.

Welcome opinions with experience/knowledge.
    Last edited by xseal; 08-02-2018 at 05:42 AM. Reason: Mistakes

Moderator Moderator
    Why the doubts?

Short-Change-Hero
    The Fuel would be a great bike although it may be a bit overgunning for what you are looking to do. May go with something like the new Pivot Trail 429 with a 120mm rear that you can setup in a "Pistola" type fashion (overshock the rear with a 130mm and then push front out to 140mm-150mm).

The main thing you are going to want to do is go and try some bikes out as the newer Long/Low/Slack geo for most trail bikes will change how things feel... Plus everyone does THAT a little different.

If this is also going to moonlight as a race bike, why not try something a little different and move to a lighter TRAIL/Enduro hardtail? Lots of people are loving the new bikes like the Chromag Rootdown BA, Moxie PipeDream and the likes. You could even add a little bit of compliance in there and instead of going with Carbon for the Ultra-light bike, go with a steel (4130 or Reynolds) frame that can take 27.5+ and 29er tires (like those mentioned above).

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Look at the Santa Cruz Blur or tallboy. Both are a great bike and sounds like it would fit the bill. If you are looking for a raceable bike I would NOT be looking at the new trail 429, especially overforked, etc. that bike is heavy, but it rides nice. It’s a good bike but not a race bike at all.

There are lots of other option too, but I’d trust Santa Cruz for the sturdiness factor at your weight. Plus, they have a lifetime frame warranty so you don’t have to worry about that.

XSEAL
    Feb 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by driver bob View Post
    Why the doubts?
    Reactive shock being sub-optimal for heavy guys.

XSEAL
    Feb 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by xseal View Post
    Reactive shock being sub-optimal for heavy guys.
    And my carbon Farley just developing a crack at 6 months ....

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Rocky Mountain Element would suite your needs quite well (Similar to the SC Blur).
    Adjustable Geo is a nice touch with the new element and it punches above its weight in terms of capability on rough stuff though it is def a race worthy stead.

mtbr member
    The to-be-released-next-week Giant trance 29 sounds like the perfect bike for your needs. The leaked info says it has middle of the road modern geo and 115mm rear/130mm front travel.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by gregnash View Post
    The Fuel would be a great bike although it may be a bit overgunning for what you are looking to do. May go with something like the new Pivot Trail 429 with a 120mm rear that you can setup in a "Pistola" type fashion (overshock the rear with a 130mm and then push front out to 140mm-150mm).

The main thing you are going to want to do is go and try some bikes out as the newer Long/Low/Slack geo for most trail bikes will change how things feel... Plus everyone does THAT a little different.

If this is also going to moonlight as a race bike, why not try something a little different and move to a lighter TRAIL/Enduro hardtail? Lots of people are loving the new bikes like the Chromag Rootdown BA, Moxie PipeDream and the likes. You could even add a little bit of compliance in there and instead of going with Carbon for the Ultra-light bike, go with a steel (4130 or Reynolds) frame that can take 27.5+ and 29er tires (like those mentioned above).
    Not to hi-jack. But I bought my Niner Jet 9 120/130mm to do just what the OP is asking about To do trail and “fun” endurance races. It’s great in XC and mild tech but gets over gunned at places like Moab, Sedona and Grand Junction. Perfect in places like Flagstaff and Tahoe.

I’m going to DPX2. I would really like to set it up at 130/150 for trail days. Is this “pistola” over shocking possible? I think the Fox 34 can go out to 150mm. I already bumped it from 130 to 140mm. Can I bumped the rear from 120 to 130mm?

mtbr member
    Two great bikes that fit that category are the Ibis Ripley LS and the Devinci Django 29er. Both are great platforms. Good for do it all trail riding going up and down the mountain.
    Best Source for Ibis, Devinci, and Ventana!
    Velorangutan... the pedal type.
    Motorangutan... the motorized type.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    You should demo the 19 Stumpy.
    Short travel 29.

And more on YT.
    No more proprietary shock dimension.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjjY0XCaIGY
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cLPXtzvlPw

XSEAL
    Feb 2018
    Thanks fellas. Stumpy looks good but I’ll check out the others. Appreciate the insights

mtbr member
    Many good recommendations so far. The Intense Snyper Trail sounds perfect for you want to do as does the Ripley LS (rode one for two years).

If willing to build up your own it’s hard to beat Intense’s prices on frames.

https://intensecycles.com/collections/intense-sniper

XSEAL
    Feb 2018
    Any thoughts on Yeti SB100?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    SB100 has 100mm travel. I'm on a hardtail so I think you can do more with less travel and wide rims and tires. So I think you can tune a shorter travel bike to be very capable. The new Scott Spark is 100mm travel and can take a 2.6 rear tire. Demoing some bikes can help you see what you need.

29 frame recommendations - trail/fun race-20180802_194341.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by xseal View Post
    I’m looking to build a 29er for trails and fun racing. Full suspension. I’m 55, 205, 6’, competitive x-SEAL. I ride to stay in shape. I road race motorcycles, used to moto-x, and have good bike skills. My weakness is climbs (no surprise at 205). I like a water bottle. Cost not issue. Have been riding carbon Farley with Mastodon and carbon bits, alternating b/t carbon 29+ wheels and fat ones. Done several races with that bike and have done well (2d in age) in modest fields. Say I don’t care about winning until the flag drops and the red haze appears ...

Would like sturdy but light (those are my 2). Based on experience, Anticipate xx Eagle drivetrain, Dt240 hubs (have 350 and live the quiet), Enve stem/bar, RF Next R crank, AB oval ring, and 2.5/2.6 tires. …..
    We're similar size (I weight 215), intensity I don’t let up until the visual-tunnel closes, age (I’m 53) and background (Army instead). I ride against the terrain. The terrain may beat me but I don’t back down….and I will be back.

I started with XC and a good hardtail bike (got my techinique better and my heart ready for the assault). That lasted a couple of years before I upgraded. Current ride:
    XXL Santa Cruz Tallboy Carbon CC (you’d want a smaller frame)
    -180mm XTR cranks. Long legs, and because carbon breakage with heavy aggressive guys isn't unheard of (several reports on this forum). Never seen XTR crank failure.
    -32T OneUp Oval chainring (feels good to my knees). 11-46 Cassette (good for climbing walls and such)
    -XTR derailleur (on sale)
    -DT Swiss XM-481 wheels
    -DT Swiss 350 hubs
    -DT Race Spokes
    -XTR brakes
    -XTR rotors 203mm/180mm F/R (stopping is good…before the ravine edge…doesn’t matter after)
    -XTR Pads w/finned metallic pads (see above)
    -Renthal Carbon Lite bars (bling, and on sale)
    -Answer ATAC AME 35mm stem (lively and direct)
    -2017 Fox Factory Float 140mm Fork (will upgrade to 36mm next year)
    -2017 Fox Performance Elite DPS rear shock
    -2017 Fox Perfomance Elite 150mm dropperpost (can’t imagine riding without it)
    -Bontrager SE4 Team Issue tires (on both setups).

The beauty is that I can run 27.5 tires (up to 3.0”) or 29er (up to 2.5” on wide rims). I have both 27.5 AND 29er rims, so I get two bikes for the price of one! Oh….a Lifetime warranty.

Mark
    2014 Santa Cruz Chameleon, AM build
    2017 Santa Cruz Tallboy Carbon CC, AM build
    mid 1960's body-build
    E-R on Speed-Dial!

XSEAL
    Feb 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by malucky View Post
    We're similar size (I weight 215), intensity I don’t let up until the visual-tunnel closes, age (I’m 53) and background (Army instead). I ride against the terrain. The terrain may beat me but I don’t back down….and I will be back.

I started with XC and a good hardtail bike (got my techinique better and my heart ready for the assault). That lasted a couple of years before I upgraded. Current ride:
    XXL Santa Cruz Tallboy Carbon CC (you’d want a smaller frame)
    -180mm XTR cranks. Long legs, and because carbon breakage with heavy aggressive guys isn't unheard of (several reports on this forum). Never seen XTR crank failure.
    -32T OneUp Oval chainring (feels good to my knees). 11-46 Cassette (good for climbing walls and such)
    -XTR derailleur (on sale)
    -DT Swiss XM-481 wheels
    -DT Swiss 350 hubs
    -DT Race Spokes
    -XTR brakes
    -XTR rotors 203mm/180mm F/R (stopping is good…before the ravine edge…doesn’t matter after)
    -XTR Pads w/finned metallic pads (see above)
    -Renthal Carbon Lite bars (bling, and on sale)
    -Answer ATAC AME 35mm stem (lively and direct)
    -2017 Fox Factory Float 140mm Fork (will upgrade to 36mm next year)
    -2017 Fox Performance Elite DPS rear shock
    -2017 Fox Perfomance Elite 150mm dropperpost (can’t imagine riding without it)
    -Bontrager SE4 Team Issue tires (on both setups).

The beauty is that I can run 27.5 tires (up to 3.0”) or 29er (up to 2.5” on wide rims). I have both 27.5 AND 29er rims, so I get two bikes for the price of one! Oh….a Lifetime warranty.

Mark
    Thanks. When I was in the Nav I went thru the 18A course, so I consider myself honorary Army. Worked with the D-boys. Anyway, your build is close to the alternative I'm considering to the SB100. I can tell anyone who'll listen I'm done with Trek. My Farley (8 months old) got a crack in the chain stay and they want me to buy a new frame. Screw them, I'll bit a Ti Seven. But, still need to figure out the "second" bike, which is this one. I'm going back and forth b/t a custom SB100 and a TB. Trek experience has me liking the SC warranty.

mtbr member
    Did Trek discontue their lifetime warranty for original purchaser?
    If you're lucky enough to be in the mountains,
    you're lucky enough.

XSEAL
    Feb 2018
    They are refusing to honor it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    If your goal is to just purchase one bike that will last you the next 20 years I would check out the tallboy. It is a good bit more robust than the blur and will gobble up rocky rooty east coast trails. People report the blur isn't the bike to get if your going to over fork it and go bombing off technical trail. The tallboy may weigh a little more but it is still the same SC super high quality and great design.

XSEAL
    Feb 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by party_wagon View Post
    If your goal is to just purchase one bike that will last you the next 20 years I would check out the tallboy. It is a good bit more robust than the blur and will gobble up rocky rooty east coast trails. People report the blur isn't the bike to get if your going to over fork it and go bombing off technical trail. The tallboy may weigh a little more but it is still the same SC super high quality and great design.
    Thanks, TB looks like a great bike.

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=xseal;13763719]. My weakness is climbs (no surprise at 205). I like a water bottle. Cost not issue.

Have a look at the Spot Mayhem

mtbr member
    id get the Santa Cruz Blur. weigh around 23 lbs

https://www.santacruzbicycles.com/en-US/blur

ive demoed most of their bikes, you cant go wrong with any of them