wrench

29" Fisher Race Day

OK, you 29 freaks- if any of ya are out here at the Fontana Norba, come by the Fisher trailer and check out the Race Day 29. I just got 2 frames in to build up for Cam and Nat. I am going to get one built this weekend. Looks pretty hot. First one to come see me and tell me "Big wheels rule" gets some Fisher swag. Ask for Matt.

I'll try to post up some pics of the bike later.

Moderator Moderator
    Here is a picture of Matt from Sea Otter...........
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Niner Bikes employee. http://www.facebook.com/pages/Niner-...3652275?ref=ts
    Front Range Forum Moderator

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mattomoto
    OK, you 29 freaks- if any of ya are out here at the Fontana Norba, come by the Fisher trailer and check out the Race Day 29. I just got 2 frames in to build up for Cam and Nat. I am going to get one built this weekend. Looks pretty hot. First one to come see me and tell me "Big wheels rule" gets some Fisher swag. Ask for Matt.

I'll try to post up some pics of the bike later.
    When and where exactly ?
    Will you have any other GF 29ers ?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Tell the boys we are all cheering for them here on the site and that we look forward to a ride report after the race. I am looking forward to mine coming in soon. Local shop received their 26er race days this week and I almost had an accident thinking one was mine.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    My pic of Matt at Sea Otter with Matt Kelly's 29er race bike. This was after the short track. Kelly used the XR 1.8 tires. Note the Bontrager logo mostly worn off the crank arm.
    mottomatto.jpg
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

wrench
    Thanks for the pics guys. Who put that hat on my head?

Course out here is sweet- hard climbing and fast single track downhills. Goes through the junk yard, past old military bunkers, through concrete colverts etc. The Paragon rules out here. 1.8's through the loose sand is incredable. I would but like 10 seconds on Brett (other mechanic) and Jon (manager) like it was nothering. Got JHK thinking very serious about running the bike here. He is gonna take the paragon out tomorrow and run some laps. We'll see.

Very cool, I had a young man (like 12-13) come by and get some swag from me as he knew the catch phrase.

Give ya some more updates tomorrow. Wish me luck in the short track tomorrow. Yes, I will be running my Paragon. Later.

Matt

Beware of Doggerel

Cranks???

What kind of cranks are those? Is that a 5 arm Compact Spider? I'm a 5 arm compact junkie. It would be wonderful if someone produced those.
    I wanna say I'm sorry for stuff I haven't done yet, things will shortly get completely out of hand --T.M.G.

Witty McWitterson
    I'd call those a custom ring set up. Looks like it may be a 42-30 set up? Most definitely NOT stock.
    Just a regular guy.

ORM
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005

130/74

It's a 130/74 I don't know what size rings there using.

wrench

130/74 bdc 42/28

These are some protos. Should have a production crank later in the year. We are looking at a 94 bcd 5 arm as well. I have some of these coming too. I asked for 40/26 combos. Should have them for the NC Norba.

Raced yesterday in the STXC and took 7th. Big wheels are fun. Had a few guys comment after the race saying how I would just roll away from them on the flats. This was my first race this year and the first race on a 29er. I like it!

XC Pro race today. Fun Fun.

wrench

Thanks for coming by Sexy Jordan!

Jordan was my winner for the swag.

mtbr member
    These are some protos. Should have a production crank later in the year. We are looking at a 94 bcd 5 arm as well. I have some of these coming too. I asked for 40/26 combos. Should have them for the NC Norba.

Raced yesterday in the STXC and took 7th. Big wheels are fun. Had a few guys comment after the race saying how I would just roll away from them on the flats. This was my first race this year and the first race on a 29er. I like it!

XC Pro race today. Fun Fun.
    Dude. On the flats my 29er is like a road bike. I pass all the 26ers unless I am suffering. I do run 40 psi, that may have something to do with it.

Recovering couch patato
    Cool, 130/74!
    40/26t seem like a big gap though (50+% shifting up), unless you're at least using an 11-34 cassette with it. with a 12-27, shifting the front ring would require a handful of shifts in the back to get a similar gear ratio again.
    With such cranks I'd love to run 39/28 or something though, super easy and cheap to find rings.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    ...We are looking at a 94 bcd 5 arm as well...
    Yes! Please keep this size alive.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Recovering couch patato
    Couldnīt a 130-74 crankset get an extra set of bolt holes for 94mm and even 58mm? Too hard to make strong?

Believer in Darwin

Nice

to meet you Matt. Thanks for all the little tips on the shifters and the bike in general. Oh and the socks as well.
    Good job on your ST result!!
    I'll be there tomorrow on the big wheels, lets see what happens.
    paz afuera

mtbr member
    Aug 2005

I'll buy it...

A 26/40 with an 11-34 is exactly what the doctor ordered for my race 29er. I've always wanted a mountain double, even if it does say Bontrager on the side!
    A little rebellion now and then is a good thing.
    -Thomas Jefferson

giddy up!
    I'd be the first person in line for an outboard bearing, 2 piece crank with 94mm bcd. Please make them triple compatible as well.

Oh....and narrow Q-factor.

B
    www.thepathbikeshop.com

Beware of Doggerel
    "We are looking at a 94 bcd 5 arm as well. "

That is the best "new product" type news I have heard in a long time, better than any potential tubeless systems or new suspension designs IMO. A 5 arm compact triple on the market would make my year.

Adam
    I wanna say I'm sorry for stuff I haven't done yet, things will shortly get completely out of hand --T.M.G.

ORM
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    So I see JHK was riding the 26er again, whats it going to take to get that guy to race the 29er?

wrench

the right course

He and Matt rode the 29's in training, but the climbing was to steep to use the 29. The 26 still climbs better he thinks. They both said the 29 was way better on the downhills and ruts, but that race was not going to be won on a downhill. JHK whats to use it, just needs to be the right course.

illuminator82
    Jun 2004

dont tell that to

Kabush. lol
    he was catching everyone on the downs after falling back on the climbs 2X!!lol
    the right course, the right tire, the right psi the right soil conditions, the right, that's right everything needs to be perfect! dont tell that to Mike C, Nat, or Cameron...hahahah

or even yourself as i believe you raced in on the ST right? 7th place in one of the events on the 29er, right? congrats...

just being slightly sarcastic....:-)

wrench

I know, I know...

At the pro level, one percent makes a difference and if JHK thinks he is faster on a 26 vs 29, I am not going to argue with him. Kabush has to ride a duelly that is heavier and yes, would have to catch back up on the dh. Did he have to take more chances? Probably. JHK and Wells were dropping him on the climbs. There was a gap between JHK/Wells and Kabush untill the crash at the very end when Kabush slipped by.
    For me, I love my 29. Was it a little slower in the steep uphill on the short track- yes. I got passed on the uphill, but rocketed on the flats. I still love it though.
    Hopefully we can get some lighter parts (fork, wheels) and it won't make a difference for JHK. We'll see.

illuminator82
    Jun 2004

well i guess i did not

emphasize the sarcasm enough.
    congrats to all who made the event exciting!! period!
    i dont really care what they ride, prefer, whatever, as long as the racing is close!

yes, lighter, stronger, better, less expensive:-)

2:1
    mtbr member

fontana pix?

Hey, Mattomoto or anyone else who was at Fontana... I keep clicking on this thread in the hopes that I'll see some pictures of whatever it was JHK might've ridden last weekend but didn't, or what you got the 7th place in ST on! It'd be great to see some up-to-date photos of a race-ready Race Day 29er, with the cool cranks, the cool wheels, whatever Fisher/Bontrager's got up their sleeves this week!