mtbr member
    Sep 2017

2018 Rocky Mountain Instinct

Anyone ridden (or have) one of these, yet? I think I've narrowed my choice down to the Instinct A50 or a Fuel EX8.

Have already read some positive reviews of the Trek, but wondering about the RM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stolky View Post
    Anyone ridden (or have) one of these, yet? I think I've narrowed my choice down to the Instinct A50 or a Fuel EX8.

Have already read some positive reviews of the Trek, but wondering about the RM.
    https://www.pinkbike.com/news/rocky-...on-review.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    I debated the same two bikes and ended up going with the Instinct. I took it on an easy trail right from the bike shop and loved the handling but had several pedal strikes. A week later I checked the tire pressure before riding it on the highest rated technical trail in Ohio and ran it at 28 psi front and 30 psi back (tubeless and I'm 220 lbs). I LOVED the bike on a more technical trail. The handling and feel was superb and had zero pedal strikes. I did several downs I was never able to do previously. More surprisingly, I also did several climbs I could never do before. I don't doubt the Fuel is a great bike but I'm really happy with the decision, I think the tires may have been under inflated out of the LBS, causing the pedal strikes.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MurphyStPatrick View Post
    [...] loved the handling but had several pedal strikes. [...]
    I also ended up chosing the '18 Instinct, and experienced pedal strikes as well during the first few rides ... but since I was also bottoming out on occasion (using Fox shock recommended pressure), I ended up adding an extra 38 psi (38psi over Fox recommendation for my weight). Problem solved (in the mid compression-damper setting). Obviously, the high LR numbers for this bike, require higher shock pressure.
    Last edited by whtdel; 11-20-2017 at 09:39 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I'm in Cincinnati Ohio so NO big time hills and was considering the SC Tallboy Carbon S build ( Mid Travel 29's should be great in the Mid-West ) but just saw they redesigned the RM Instinct and was wondering if this might be something to consider ( Instinct Alloy 70 or Carbon 70 ) or should I consider other options ?? I have not really looked at the Fuel EX8.... Thoughts ??

No local RM Dealer in my area so I would have to drive to check one out...

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharky1528 View Post
    I'm in Cincinnati Ohio so NO big time hills and was considering the SC Tallboy Carbon S build ( Mid Travel 29's should be great in the Mid-West ) but just saw they redesigned the RM Instinct and was wondering if this might be something to consider ( Instinct Alloy 70 or Carbon 70 ) or should I consider other options ?? I have not really looked at the Fuel EX8.... Thoughts ??

No local RM Dealer in my area so I would have to drive to check one out...
    Maybe look at an Evil Following as well