mtbr member
    Aug 2011

2018 predictions

2.6 tires will grow dramatically in popularity

42/44 mm offset forks will not, because the companies spec'ing them on their bikes have contracts with fork makers not to sell them aftermarket. however, interest will grow dramatically and by 2019 they will become available and gain, er, traction.... creating an alternative and popular additional standard.

mountain biking will remain an incredibly fun, hype filled mega growth sport popular with the masses.

steel full suspension bikes will pop up in North America.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    We will all be another year older.

Out spokin'
    76° will become the new standard seat angle. Probably not until 2019, tho.
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

Pos rep makes me sad
    New integrated dropper post gimmicks.

More utilization of open space in bike for storage.

More concept designs that make use of a central battery onboard the bike.
    Tell me when I'm wrong. Neg rep me. I will appreciate it, even if you don't explain why I'm wrong.

Pos rep makes me sad
    Does this count as a wishlist too, for things we see low predictability of?

Lightweight and affordable silent freehubs with decent POE.

More mixed wheel size designs, such as 29+ front with smaller rear wheel.

Nicer 165mm crank choices, and more 170mm cranks spec'd OEM (perhaps on med sizes).

More comfortable saddle design that doesn't require a padded chamois.

Better light mounts that relocate the light over the stem, without overhanging the front (avoid breaking on OTB crash). Feel balanced, centered, on helmet. Clamps, not velcro straps/o-rings please!

Simple and lightweight anti-burp design for tires (I know Spec has a bead-lock invention).

Frames with more seatpost adjustment range.

More production ready inverted fork design.

More production ready gearbox design.
    Tell me when I'm wrong. Neg rep me. I will appreciate it, even if you don't explain why I'm wrong.

mtbr member
    More 29ers in the 120mm to 200mm travel range will be released.

Bike prices will fall a little as companies struggle to compete in a 'soft' market.

The carbon backlash will re-create the niche of the high end aluminium bike.

More steel FS bikes will get released.

105 and SLX Di2 will happen.

20mm Boost will become a production thing, twelve years late (damn you Marzocchi!).

Niner will not exit Chapter 11 successfully because one or more major suppliers will tell them to pay all outstanding balances or GTFO.

Quote Originally Posted by John Kuhl View Post
    We will all be another year older.
    Speak for yourself, I'll be 21 for the [ahem]th time.
    Last edited by Fix the Spade; 12-25-2017 at 05:22 PM.

I'm with stupid
    A smaller bike company will drop a 200mm travel 29er DH bike.

we will get another popular hub standard

Carbon frame prices will drop from "back lash" and more companies moving to direct sales.

The marketing gods will reinvent something that we had many years ago and sell it as the next big must have. ie. 2.8 DH tires, coil suspension, 1 piece carbon wheels,

mtbr member
    Cantilever brakes and threaded headsets will make triumphant return! ... LoL

Seriously though, belt drive gearbox advancements would be great but maybe 2019 for that...

Shimano will announce something big, all new XTR groupset, 12 speed maybe? Di2 SLX? ... something new needs to come from them soon to up the ante with SRAM.
    Current MTBs:
    1995 Mongoose IBOC Zero G-SX
    2014 Cube Reaction GTC
    2017 Scott Spark
    2019 Specialized Stumpjumper Carbon

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    29ers will start to get popular.
    Whining is not a strategy.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kosmo View Post
    29ers will start to get popular.
    lol

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Everyone except for Specialized and Giant will make an XC race bike in 110-120 up front with a 69 degree head tube.

Schwalbe will prototype a Rocket ron 2.35 for release in 2019.

Everyone will buy too much bike because it is the trend, They will have fun, but hate hills.

Enduro timed segment formats will spread quite a bit including many other cycling genres.

Out spokin'
    Wish we could all hold hands and predict that Shimano will debut a lightweight, durable, cheap, belt-compatible 15-speed internal geared hub. But, um... no.
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Frames will have metric/ 33-35mm seat tube & metric/ 30mm steerer tube.

Eightpin -style seatpost will be more common.

Out spokin'
    Not a prediction, but rather a hope. That common sense will return to frame design regarding bottom bracket height. They’re currently too low. Except for short people who employ 165-170mm cranks or those who ride sanitized trails.

Me? 36” inseam, 185mm cranks. Larger frames should have higher BBs.

Now to the prediction: it ain’t gonna happen anytime soon.
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

the half breed devil
    Quote Originally Posted by Fix the Spade View Post
    More 29ers in the 120mm to 200mm travel range will be released.

Bike prices will fall a little as companies struggle to compete in a 'soft' market.

The carbon backlash will re-create the niche of the high end aluminium bike.

More steel FS bikes will get released.

105 and SLX Di2 will happen.

20mm Boost will become a production thing, twelve years late (damn you Marzocchi!).

Niner will not exit Chapter 11 successfully because one or more major suppliers will tell them to pay all outstanding balances or GTFO.

Speak for yourself, I'll be 21 for the [ahem]th time.
    you triggered my interest. steel FS:

» 10 Stunning Steel Full Suspension Bikes You Cannot Ignore

The new wave of steel frame full suspension bikes - MBR

Out spokin'
    I don't get it. What are the advantages of steel in an FS application? There's a reason springs are made of steel -- it's a flexible, forgiving material. I've owned plenty of steel frames, all rigid or hardtail. I like 'em. Seems to me in the world of FS, we want a frame that does not flex. That's what pivots and linkages are for. Other than pivots and linkages, I want my FS frame to be as rigid as a block of granite. But not as heavy.

Help me understand the advantage(s) of steel in an FS frame. Cost? Repair-ability? Style? I just don't see performance as being one.
    TIA.
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    I think at least the smaller companies will start using 157mm hubs to avoid dealing with another boost trend. So if super boost comes around they are ready.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus View Post
    I don't get it. What are the advantages of steel in an FS application? There's a reason springs are made of steel -- it's a flexible, forgiving material. I've owned plenty of steel frames, all rigid or hardtail. I like 'em. Seems to me in the world of FS, we want a frame that does not flex. That's what pivots and linkages are for. Other than pivots and linkages, I want my FS frame to be as rigid as a block of granite. But not as heavy.

Help me understand the advantage(s) of steel in an FS frame. Cost? Repair-ability? Style? I just don't see performance as being one.
    TIA.
    =sParty
    dirt mag actually timed a couple of enduro bikes and steel single pivot bike was the fastest. (starling murmur). Aperrantly frame flex was paritally responsible for that, the bikes tracks better with a bit of flex, but not too much. It is a delicate thing.

Other than that, some people like the looks of steel, also steel bikes are a bit more comfy, and generally they can take beating quite well(have a good fatigue life). In case it does cracks it is very easy to weld it back.

the half breed devil

TIA.
    =sParty
    heh. for now, i'll keep my aluminum dualie and steel hardtails.

however, i'll restate it's interesting we now have a small selection of steel dualies to choose from, seemingly all from small custom builders.

Out spokin'
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerberus75 View Post
    I think at least the smaller companies will start using 157mm hubs to avoid dealing with another boost trend. So if super boost comes around they are ready.
    My 29+ frame is in queue -- it'll be superboost.
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

mtbr member
    My 29+ frame is in queue -- it'll be superboost.
    =sParty
    Hello old friend!

Do tell?! Spill the beans etc etc!

I am a Superboost believer, the rear end of my Switchblade is solid and I have spoken to Walt about the possibilities of a custom SB bike (steel FS if it wwere to happen, sorry!) in the future...

mtbr member
    Oh yeah, predictions, I'm only echoing what has already been said but...

2.6 will become the norm and more readily available.

Seat tubes will be steeper.

Hopefully BB's will be higher once more.

Alloy will again become popular but alas no cheaper!

Steel will remain real.

SyT
    mtbr member
    Jul 2005

TIA.
    =sParty
    When you're in lean the bumps are perpendicular to the suspension action.
    If something in the system has give ( fork, tires,wheels, swingarm, frame) the contact patch can stay planted better giving a bit more traction. With that traction comes feedback, allowing the rider to interpret what's happening at the contact patch which allows them to get closer to the edge more comfortably. ( more analog-ish, less digital). This is a big deal with roadracing mc's. I guess we are about to find out how important it is or isn't for mtb.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    For 2018 the KOOLAID will continue to become more potent. SVCKERZ!!!!! Hahaha!!!!!

mtbr member
    Agree!!!!

Pos rep makes me sad
    More ways to market asymmetrical design.

More design influenced by things outside the industry.

More limited edition releases to promote change and aesthetic possibility.

More creative use of "social media" and basic human psychology to create buzz/hype (very subtly for sponsors).

Expansion of warranty policies, and owner support programs.

Yes, a lot of marketing heavy BS in my predictions. xD The majority of actual engineering innovation going on is likely in ebike stuff...

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Fully rigid chromoly bikes with canti's to accommodate the massive increase in spayed, neutered, sanitized, and homogenized current and future machine built brown sidewalk meh "FLOW" trails that cost $ 9000.00 per foot to build haha what a crazy world we live in. Sooooooo silly haha!!! STRAVA CHOP!!!!

Out spokin'

Here's a genuine prediction

This thread may get locked. That's not my prediction, just a likely effect of me voicing my prediction within this thread. Because my prediction mentions the dreaded "e-word."

Here it is.

E-bikes are unstoppable. I don't care if you agree with them or despise them, they will overtake the landscape in an unstoppable wave. Recently on Facebook I generated outrage and controversy with these words:

"In 2017, E-bikes are to mountain bikers what mountain bikes were to hikers 30 years ago."

What? Think about it. Another trail user group. Yeah, a new one. New trail user groups are always met with resistance by traditional user groups. But I'm telling you the wave of e-bikes will be unstoppable. The next generation will embrace them and wonder what the heck all these old time morons are doing wasting their energy gaining the top of the DH under their own power. Why would anyone do that? It's as stupid as hiking. Why shuttle? Ride an e-bike. Go three times as far with less energy and forego the shuttle vehicle. Everybody rides.

Try to deny it, but mark my words. Unstoppable. Right or wrong, it doesn't matter. They're coming. Resistance is futile. And therein lies the problem. Have you tried one? I have. You will be assimilated.
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Popcorn anyone? Good stuff Sparticus!

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Dude makes a good point.

I'm with stupid
    Comments are on point. If you think they are wrong..... look across the pond. Europe is easy bike boom town. Only a matter of time till it is here.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Aside from trail access for ebikes, I can see their popularity exploding

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    2017 Ibis Ripley LS Factory X01

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Dirtbikes are way better.

Out spokin'
    Hey J, how are you? Healthy and riding a lot, I trust.

A riding buddy in Longview, WA is a part-time custom framebuilder under the marque “Addiction Cycles.” He and I ride together quite a bit and he knows the attributes I seek in a good mountain bike. Although I’ve never even ridden 29+ before, I already know it’s going to become my wheel size of choice. I love my FS 27.5x3” — only wish the wheels were bigger around

Steel FS is cool! I’m no hater, just kinda surprised about the material choice for an FS frame. Might be the best thing under the sun, made even better with 157mm rear hub spacing! I’m hereby going on record as saying I love steel. I’ll be soaking in it whenever I ride my new whip. Yeah!

Hope you're enjoying the mud.
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

Live Free & Ride
    More belt drive and electronic shifting bikes....at my dismay. ;-(
    17 Moto Ti cross
    14 GT Zaskar 9r
    15 Moto Night Train
    08 BMC Trailfox
    08 Bad Boy Ultra
    06 Cannondale Rush
    99 GT XCR

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    This thread may get locked. That's not my prediction, just a likely effect of me voicing my prediction within this thread. Because my prediction mentions the dreaded "e-word."

Here it is.

E-bikes are unstoppable. I don't care if you agree with them or despise them, they will overtake the landscape in an unstoppable wave. Recently on Facebook I generated outrage and controversy with these words:

"In 2017, E-bikes are to mountain bikers what mountain bikes were to hikers 30 years ago."

What? Think about it. Another trail user group. Yeah, a new one. New trail user groups are always met with resistance by traditional user groups. But I'm telling you the wave of e-bikes will be unstoppable. The next generation will embrace them and wonder what the heck all these old time morons are doing wasting their energy gaining the top of the DH under their own power. Why would anyone do that? It's as stupid as hiking. Why shuttle? Ride an e-bike. Go three times as far with less energy and forego the shuttle vehicle. Everybody rides.

Try to deny it, but mark my words. Unstoppable. Right or wrong, it doesn't matter. They're coming. Resistance is futile. And therein lies the problem. Have you tried one? I have. You will be assimilated.
    =sParty
    Sadly, correct with 95% confidence.

"It's as stupid as hiking".

Fock. Thanks for the coffee on my computer screen, Sparty!
    Whining is not a strategy.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    I think Sparty is spot on. Like it or not, demographics are changing. It's the only constant in the world...... Change.

Ok, F all that. Santa Cruz will return the BLUR to the masses of XC riders out there who are not into the Long & Slack thing.

You heard it here 1st.
    "There's two kinds of people in this world - Walkers and Talkers." Which one are you?

mtbr member
    Hey J, how are you? Healthy and riding a lot, I trust.

A riding buddy in Longview, WA is a part-time custom framebuilder under the marque “Addiction Cycles.” He and I ride together quite a bit and he knows the attributes I seek in a good mountain bike. Although I’ve never even ridden 29+ before, I already know it’s going to become my wheel size of choice. I love my FS 27.5x3” — only wish the wheels were bigger around

Steel FS is cool! I’m no hater, just kinda surprised about the material choice for an FS frame. Might be the best thing under the sun, made even better with 157mm rear hub spacing! I’m hereby going on record as saying I love steel. I’ll be soaking in it whenever I ride my new whip. Yeah!

Hope you're enjoying the mud.
    =sParty
    Hi sParty! I'm good thanks, how about you? Not riding as much as I'd like to at the moment but that's what resolutions are for, right?! LOL

Aah yes, I think I've seen Addiction Cycles before, can't wait to see your new bike as soon as it's ready...

Not so much mud currently, more like ice and snow, which I love!

mtbr member
    Prediction - Sparty will love his new 29+ bike!

I have ridden 29+ and 27.5+ - then 29+ is Far better in my opinion, which only counts in my rock infested world

But it really rocks in the pines up north also !

Have a new Black Sheep in the works for 29 x 3.0
    If you're lucky enough to be in the mountains,
    you're lucky enough.

mtbr member
    29+ is definitely better than 27.5+ in the same way that 29 is better than 26 and 27.5!

I also predict that Sparty will love his too!

Out spokin'
    Quote Originally Posted by azjonboy View Post
    Prediction - Sparty will love his new 29+ bike!

I have ridden 29+ and 27.5+ - then 29+ is Far better in my opinion, which only counts in my rock infested world

But it really rocks in the pines up north also !

Have a new Black Sheep in the works for 29 x 3.0
    Quote Originally Posted by Just J View Post
    29+ is definitely better than 27.5+ in the same way that 29 is better than 26 and 27.5!

I also predict that Sparty will love his too!
    Oh boy! Thanks guys, but as one thing leads to another, I fear I’ll love the new hardtail 29+ so much that I’ll have to get yet another bike — an FS 29+.
    N+1...
    Just found out my builder is taking an extended vacation until April or so. Might be late spring or even summer before I get my 29+ frame. Thankfully I’ve already got a couple of sleds in my quiver that’re fun to ride; they’ll hold me over. Understatement.
    Happy New Year, y’all! Hope 2018 is a good one.
    Time to ride,
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

mtbr member
    Oh boy! Thanks guys, but as one thing leads to another, I fear I’ll love the new hardtail 29+ so much that I’ll have to get yet another bike — an FS 29+.
    N+1...
    Just found out my builder is taking an extended vacation until April or so. Might be late spring or even summer before I get my 29+ frame. Thankfully I’ve already got a couple of sleds in my quiver that’re fun to ride; they’ll hold me over. Understatement.
    Happy New Year, y’all! Hope 2018 is a good one.
    Time to ride,
    =sParty
    Thank you and Happy New Year to you too sParty, here’s to more riding, health and prosperity to everyone!

mtbr member
    1. IBTL

2. As far as e-bikes, I really don't care if people use them, as long as they are following the "rules of the trail" when it comes to yielding, speed control, "good sportsmanship", etc... and not making the non-e-riders look even worse than some of them are.

3. My prediction....I probably won't get a new bike this year.
    The member formerly known as Redtires....

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    The industry will push ebikes to try to get profits up. I really don't see them getting too much traction in NA. Face it, we are cheap and most MTB riders would like a bicycle that costs more than we can afford anyway, so why pay a upcharge for a e motor. From what I see, people that want assist end up buying a moto. We have all heard the chant "how much for a bicycle? I can buy a moto for less than that" The pro ebike side uses Europe as a example. In a lot of Europe cycling is already a part of their culture. Here we are considered weird for buying a expensive bicycle.

Elitest thrill junkie
    More hub standards.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    More hub standards.
    Were not done with that yet, are we?

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by rlee View Post
    The industry will push ebikes to try to get profits up. I really don't see them getting too much traction in NA. Face it, we are cheap and most MTB riders would like a bicycle that costs more than we can afford anyway, so why pay a upcharge for a e motor. From what I see, people that want assist end up buying a moto. We have all heard the chant "how much for a bicycle? I can buy a moto for less than that" The pro ebike side uses Europe as a example. In a lot of Europe cycling is already a part of their culture. Here we are considered weird for buying a expensive bicycle.
    Also in Yurp, bicycles are widely considered as tools where here they are toys. For commuting they make a ton of sense if it inspires people that aren't motivated to pedal to work or for errands under their own power and keeps them out of their cars.

I would think that MTB shuttle gravity pilots would see them as a way to save on fuel and wear and tear on their vehicles and no shuttling logistics.

While I have no interest in getting an E-bike for myself, I'd GLADLY share the trails I ride with E-bikers if that meant that STRAVA would blow itself up into extinction and be nothing more than a bad memory.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    I don't even think the shuttle junkies will embrace them yet. If you read the forums it's all about the lightest dh sled and how fast you can go. I think they will stick to cars and lifts.

mtbr member
    Trail geometry hardtails will continue to gain popularity. A subgroup of light trail geometry hardtails will emerge, and be applied to XC racing with success.

E-Bikes too...dammit.

Pos rep makes me sad
    I'll predict in 2018:

Niner will come out of Chap 11 stronger than ever.

Normal mtbs will outsell emtbs by at least 6 to 1.
    - Mtbs in the $4500-10000USD range will not outsell emtbs by over 2 to 1.*

More full width protective rim stripes like Enve M70's introduced.

* Pretty ambitious here, considering I doubt they'll even make half as many ebikes as high end bikes, but expecting mainstream shoppers choosing between buying GX equipped bikes and ebikes for about 1250 more, and that it's hard to count the racer who get bro hook-ups paying less than 4500.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    This might be more hope than prediction, but it would be nice if tires can be made lighter and more durable.

Out spokin'
    This might be more hope than prediction, but it would be nice if tires can be made lighter and more durable.
    That’s a worthy wish and I hope it comes true. I’m certain tire mfg’rs are working hard on this inasmuch as Plus (2.8-3.25”) and near-Plus (2.6”) tires are becoming the rage. The pressure is on to make these tires lighter. Same with rims. My 27.5 wheelset is aluminum i45 rims & 3” tires — bike feels like a tank. A fun tank, but a tank.
    Cerrtainly the competition in tires is heating up.
    Aside: On my hardtail, I’m enjoying Schwalbe’s Addix soft compound on 2.35” Magic Marys here in Oregon’s slippery, rooty rainforests.
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

Pos rep makes me sad
    So basically just mix more CNTs by volume into the entire base construction? Maybe utilize spider silk and/or sticky protein technology, as opposed to just thick moldable homogenized rubber compounds? xD

How much are you willing to pay? Maybe come out with some less costly race-day only stuff made with hollow ceramic beads mixed into a substrate, with a grippy compound over it?

Your "hope" is why some went e-bike, so they can go with cheap heavy durable stuff, since they have a motor to assist in carrying that weight.

Haven't tried Addix, but I'd like to, knowing who made it: the same guy who made Conti's Black Chili, and Spec's new Gripton.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by dv8zen View Post
    So basically just mix more CNTs by volume into the entire base construction? Maybe utilize spider silk and/or sticky protein technology, as opposed to just thick moldable homogenized rubber compounds? xD

How much are you willing to pay? Maybe come out with some less costly race-day only stuff made with hollow ceramic beads mixed into a substrate, with a grippy compound over it?

Your "hope" is why some went e-bike, so they can go with cheap heavy durable stuff, since they have a motor to assist in carrying that weight.

Haven't tried Addix, but I'd like to, knowing who made it: the same guy who made Conti's Black Chili, and Spec's new Gripton.
    This is why I said probably wishful thinking, lol. A durable 2.4-2.5 29er is over 1000gr. The faster you go the more this weight effects handling. With the long travel bikes coming out, tires will be a weak link.

moar alike..
    NS Bikes will be added to the forum
    All barks have been rendered into english...

Pos rep makes me sad
    This is why I said probably wishful thinking, lol. A durable 2.4-2.5 29er is over 1000gr. The faster you go the more this weight effects handling. With the long travel bikes coming out, tires will be a weak link.
    Is there's something inherently wrong with 1000g? It's like judging a guy who weighs 225 lbs without taking into account their height.

Name:  be2f4177702c52626914027bccfb0461--stefan-struve-vs.jpg
Views: 964
Size:  16.7 KB
    - 26x2.8 DH tire (e.g. Michelin DH Comp 32 Soft) vs 29x3.0 Chupacabra

Your tire could be a lean fighter. How would you take weight off of it without losing performance? I find value in a stout heavyweight fighter over a tall thin one (e.g. Maxxis Minion DHF 29x2.6 vs Bontrager Chupacabra 29x3.0). So, who'd you place your bet on? Think about what kind of contest it'll be, a fight in the ring or maybe a race running along a trail...

Name:  MT.jpg
Views: 956
Size:  23.6 KB
    - DHF

2018 predictions-simon-marcus.jpg
    - DHR2

Addix is like giving these guys some EPOs.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by dv8zen View Post
    Is there's something inherently wrong with 1000g? It's like judging a guy who weighs 225 lbs without taking into account their height.

Name:  be2f4177702c52626914027bccfb0461--stefan-struve-vs.jpg
Views: 964
Size:  16.7 KB
    - 26x2.8 DH tire (e.g. Michelin DH Comp 32 Soft) vs 29x3.0 Chupacabra

Your tire could be a lean fighter. How would you take weight off of it without losing performance? I find value in a stout heavyweight fighter over a tall thin one (e.g. Maxxis Minion DHF 29x2.6 vs Bontrager Chupacabra 29x3.0). So, who'd you place your bet on? Think about what kind of contest it'll be, a fight in the ring or maybe a race running along a trail...

Name:  MT.jpg
Views: 956
Size:  23.6 KB
    - DHF

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Simon-Marcus.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	82.4 KB 
ID:	1175431
    - DHR2

Addix is like giving these guys some EPOs.
    My issue is around 25-28mph. A heavy tire so far from its axis doesn't want to be leaned over easily. Srait line or lower speeds I like the tire choices available.
    I'm definitely not asking to take weight off of what we have currently available. Something new would have to be developed.

Pos rep makes me sad
    When you lean a wheel, its angular momentum gyroscopic precession uprights it, but it turns into the lean. There's equivalence in pointing the wheel left and leaning the wheel left. The difference is how your body inputs those two, with posture with leaning being more natural.

On a mtb, your body is the primary inertial force to be concerned with, considering it weighs well over 5x more than the bike. The goal is to change your body's direction, not the bike/wheel's direction. You can essentially treat the bike like a toy, point the front where you want it to go and intuitively figure out how to maintain balance and not lose the bike. Leaning is just one way to find some force to redirect your body's inertia into another direction.

At that speed (25-28mph), it's more of a game of how far you want to push your traction, and how comfortable you are drifting (dirt surfing).

My only advice is to open up to be more free flowing with your techniques, as opposed to believing there's some ideal rigid technique that's efficient and reliable.

God like cornering vs the rest

I dunno, maybe watch some drift videos and try practicing some freeride flicks? xD Anyone should be able to pick up various skills like nose pivots, tripoding, w/e it's called that Curtis Keene tried in that vid, jumping, powersliding (Richie Rude's favored move), etc. if they actually give 'em a good try in practice.

Trail Junkie
    1) Nearly every trail/LT MTB will come capable of accepting 2.6" tread.
    2) 12x142 will be completely gone.
    3) Integrated dropper posts will show up on more bikes.
    4) Trunnion metric sizing shocks be on half of the bikes on the market.
    5) Over half of the manufactures will have a 150mm 29er in their lineup

6) Shimano will have a 12sp drivetrain on the market to compete with SRAM.
    Ibis Ripley LS
    Intense Spider 29 C
    Cervelo S2
    Trek Boone 5 Disc
    Spech Tricross Expert
    Raleigh RX 1.0

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Hey wait, aren't all mountain bikes trail bikes? Every mountain bike I've ever ridden in 30 years was designed for riding on trails. Did I miss something?🤔

mtbr member
    Most bike companies will go consumer direct to stay viable.

30% of LBS's will close their doors.

Many bike brands will go into bankruptcy or liquidate or merge (hearing too many grumblings and layoffs in the industry right now, does not look good.)

And finally LaneDetroit will post the stupidest stuff your will ever read.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by LargeMan View Post
    Most bike companies will go consumer direct to stay viable.

30% of LBS's will close their doors.

Many bike brands will go into bankruptcy or liquidate or merge (hearing too many grumblings and layoffs in the industry right now, does not look good.)

And finally LaneDetroit will post the stupidest stuff your will ever read.
    I read some of LaneDetroit posts on his AZ trip, sounds like the dude can ride.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    but i also agree with your industry predictions. hoping that a couple boutique brandsI own keep going strong and one of them, Canfield, has been buy direct for a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Carbon Smuggler... BAM.
    Last edited by bob-o; 01-18-2018 at 09:29 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    It bike very good .no costly and high qualities.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Steel hardtails with 27.5+ tires will be as much in demand in the US as they are in the UK

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I predict new standards will be made and the standards made recently will be already out dated.

mtbr member
    Super Boost 157 and 28.99mm spindle cranks.
    Last edited by RS VR6; 01-18-2018 at 03:30 PM.