mtbr member

2018 Epic v Anthem

I'm looking to buy a new 29 XC race bike. Intended use will be the odd marathon, XCO events and 2 trips a year to the Victorian Alps where the bike will have to double as an all mountain bike.

I'm down to the Giant Anthem Adv Pro 0 29er:
    - fox factory front and rear
    - XX1 eagle
    - house brand carbon wheels
    Spesh Epic Expert
    - Rock shox SID Brain & Brain shock
    - GX Eagle
    - house brand carbon wheels

I can get both at about the same price, the Giant is a better spec but the Spesh has advantages i:
    - 2 bottle holders
    - 30.9 post means more dropper options
    - no need to fuss around with lock outs - less cluttered bars

Giant has better grouppo and suspension and standard carbon bar.

I'm really torn - thoughts??

Will work to see if I can demo either.

Quote Originally Posted by GrantStubbs View Post
    and 2 trips a year to the Victorian Alps where the bike will have to double as an all mountain bike.

Will work to see if I can demo either.
    Working from the bottom up - that's where the real answer to your question is, demo both bikes. It shouldn't be too hard. Both brands seem to be pretty good about getting demo events out there. As for doubling as an all mountain bike - my experience with an Anthem tells me that while you may be capable enough to do that as a rider, the bike may suffer for it. I have no comments whether the specialized would survive it or not, but I will say my experience with the Brain means that bike would be out of my consideration. Maybe I'd go for the Anthem and rent a bike for the Alps.

mtbr member
    I am also interested in both bikes, but more for XC races and long distance stuff to replace my current 29er HT. I have longer travel bike for alps type riding (more dh I assume).

I find it interesting you are able to match the price of top Anthem to a mid grade Epic. Still if the frames were equivalent I would go with the Anthem due to the better parts on it. I am interested to see other peoples opinion on the both. Personally I did a short demo on anthem Pro 1 (one spec lower) and liked it. It was on a whim so I did not really get into every detail, but it stated me thinking about replacing my HT.

I have not had chance yet to demo an Epic. One think I like about the epic is the threaded bottom bracket. All my current bikes are threaded and it works However that is more a personal deal.
    '12 Santa Cruz Highball 29", '13 Santa Cruz Solo 27.5",Vassago Verhauen SS 29" XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    I road both and bought the 2018 Epic Comp Carbon for a few reasons. The Epic just felt faster and the handling was very intuitive given that my primary ride is the Enduro 29. The epic has a shorter seattube for more dropper options, the Epic has two water bottle cages inside the triangle and I honestly didn't want to futz with remote shock adjusters.

I went Comp over Expert because I already have Carbon wheels and originally I thought I would be throwing A120 fork on it but not likely now.

mtbr member
    You are going to have to ride these two bikes. They couldn't be any more different in how they do what they do. Maybe find friends or racers who also have the bikes?

I have run both around a 12 mi race course. I personally hated the new epic. I actually like the old one better.

I stayed on my 100/100 anthem x 29er advanced. I know you are looking at the new one.