mtbr member
    Sep 2013

2014 Trek X Caliber 8

So I visited my LBS this past weekend, I am in the market to purchase my first mountain bike as I have been very interested in the sport for quite some time now. I was originally looking at the Trek Mamba as it seemed my best bang for the buck without spending too much money. My LBS informed me that Trek is doing away with the Mamba, Marlin, & Wahoo and now replacing them with the X Caliber series. I test rode the X Caliber 8 and really love the bike. I just want to get some opinions on this bike and see what the community has to say about it. They did not have my size so I ordered it and am getting for $800 which is an amazing price. Please any input would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    DO IT. I cannot stress enough how happy I am with my X-cal 8. Bought it three days ago and havent stopped grinning since. especially at that price... Lets just say I didnt get such a good deal.

This is my second g2 geometry bike, and I would recommend everyone try at least one. The amount of confidence that the riding position gives the rider is something of a marvel.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Perfect thank you! I just wanted to get some feedback from the community on this bike since I know it is fairly new not too much has been written up about it from what I can see. I will be picking it up on Thursday and taking her on her first trail ride this weekend. So I will keep you posted lol.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by cnick975 View Post
    Perfect thank you! I just wanted to get some feedback from the community on this bike since I know it is fairly new not too much has been written up about it from what I can see. I will be picking it up on Thursday and taking her on her first trail ride this weekend. So I will keep you posted lol.
    It is new, but damn is the frame good. They did a lot to shorten the wheelbase the handling is all the better for it. Quick but stable. You'll never feel like you don't have enough bike to get down the trail.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by lilsanch View Post
    It is new, but damn is the frame good. They did a lot to shorten the wheelbase the handling is all the better for it. Quick but stable. You'll never feel like you don't have enough bike to get down the trail.
    The dimensions are the same as the 2013 X-Cal and Superfly AL. Trek hasn't changed the wheelbase or any other dimension.
    The wheelbase of a 2014 X-Cal8 18.5" is 112.8cm
    The wheelbase of the 2013 X-Cal 19" is 112.7cm.
    Trek and Scott have the best 29 geo for skill development and trail riding.
    At $800 or 25% off of list this is probably the best entry level bike for the money you can get for trail riding.
    Go with the air fork on the 9 if you are a Clyde 250 and above to be able to set the sag.
    Scott doesn't offer a good fork in any bike in this price range.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    The dimensions are the same as the 2013 X-Cal and Superfly AL. Trek hasn't changed the wheelbase or any other dimensions.
    The wheelbase of a 2014 X-Cal8 18.5" is 112.8cm
    The wheelbase of the 2013 X-Cal 19" is 112.7cm.
    Trek and Scott have the best 29 geo for skill development and trail riding.
    At $800 or 25% off of list this is probably the best entry level bike for the money you can get for trail riding.
    Go with the air fork on the 9 if you are a Clyde 250 and above to be able to set the sag.
    Scott doesn't offer a good fork in any bike in this price range.
    My mistake. I heard that through the grapevine. Gotta fact check more often. Thanks for the info

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I don't know how much the current ones have in common with their old Gary Fisher sibling, but I still love my '03 X Caliber. After 10 years of hard riding she needs some work, but I plan to fix her up over the winter and use her as my XC/duelsport bike. The current ones look like they come very well spec'd... I'd say go for it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Seems like good components for the price, nice bike. Shifters are a bit low end but not likely a concern - plus a real cheap upgrade if you want to upgrade the rear shifter to X9 in the future.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    the 2014 superfly's have a shorter chain stay at 17 1/8 and a lower bottom bracket height than 2013. Also have thru axles. seattube/headangle all the same

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I bought one to, it should be here friday cant wait... I paid 900+ tax 800 is a good deal... the reason I went this route was to stay away from the suntour forks I am a beginner but still read reviews about em and uh, yea u know... whats some other things I can be looking to up grade down the road?

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by YellaBoii83 79 View Post
    I bought one to, it should be here friday cant wait... I paid 900+ tax 800 is a good deal... the reason I went this route was to stay away from the suntour forks I am a beginner but still read reviews about em and uh, yea u know... whats some other things I can be looking to up grade down the road?
    You'll need a good pair of pedals if you dont have them already. nothing spoils a nice bike like wellgo nylons. Other than that, it will probably be a decent while before you outgrow the other components. Congrats on the purchase!

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    What pedals would you recommend?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by doctacosmos View Post
    the 2014 superfly's have a shorter chain stay at 17 1/8 and a lower bottom bracket height than 2013. Also have thru axles. seattube/headangle all the same
    Test road a carbon 9.8 today(Saturday). All except the 9.9 have 435mm chain stays and 5mm added bb drop. Nice rear compliance with quick solid handling and light weight. I am going to look at the 9.6 with the same frame.
    Last edited by eb1888; 09-14-2013 at 11:57 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by cnick975 View Post
    What pedals would you recommend?
    Depends on you preferences, applications, and priorities. I can only speak for me, which means im looking for lightweight platform pedals. These fit the bill:

Thinnest pedal platforms on the market. Never snag your pedal again!

Saving up as we speak. If lightweight is a priority, their magnesium pedals are just about the best you can buy. If you like clipless, I cant make any recommendations. You'll just have to decide if youre looking to tear down some technical singletrack or if you looking for easy pedaling efficiency.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Name:  Azonic flatiron.png
Views: 14646
Size:  57.8 KBName:  flat iron.jpg
Views: 12397
Size:  18.2 KBName:  flat iron.jpg
Views: 12397
Size:  18.2 KB
    I'm using this Azonic pedal. They have both stubby and longer sharp pins.
    I use the stubby with trailrunners.
    Azonic Flat Iron Pedal > MX Outfit Catalog

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I will deff check out those pedals! I rode the bike for the first time this weekend on the Virginia Key trails here in Key Biscayne, Florida and man I can tell this bike is awesome! It went so smoothly over everything and broke with ease when I needed it to! Only thing I did notice was that I need a pair of good pedals ASAP!

mtbr member
    I just got an X-Cal 8 this past month, Wow! It's a great bike! Almost got the 9 but the 8 I think offers great parts with still room to make upgrades later

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I've just got back into riding and my old bike just wasn't worth fixing up so I went out and ended up scoring one of the x-caliber 8's in the July sale for 800. So far i'm really liking it and is such a better bike than my old ironhorse bike.

I'm still not sure how much I like the sram shifters, but it could just as much me learning how to ride again.