Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

2014 Trek Superfly FS 9.8 SL vs. 2014 Fuel EX 9.8 29??????

23K views 18 replies 11 participants last post by  carbonadi 
#1 · (Edited)
*Revised* 2014 Trek Superfly FS 9.8 SL vs. 2014 Fuel EX 9.8 29 XO1??????

I'm about to buy a Superfly FS 9.8 SL(100mm travel) but am starting to wonder if I should get the Fuel EX 9.8 29 XO1(120mm travel) instead. I ride in Kettle Moraine Southern unit in Wisconsin. Lots of rocks and roots, some climbing but nothing you need the small chainring for. I'm 37 and starting to feel pain in my back and neck riding my Superfly AL Elite hardtail. I like the Superflys ability to lock the suspension front and rear from the handlebars (I've never had this feature and don't know if ill use it, I usually keep my current superflys shock on "trail".) I also like the weight of the bike. The Fuel has a better suspension set up but it is a little heavier, maybe not with the 1x11.
Thoughts?

Superfly FS 9.8 SL - Trek Bicycle

Fuel EX 9.8 29 XO1 - Trek Bicycle

Thanks!

#6 ·
Both are nice bikes with near identical spec. You don't mention racing the bike, and for that reason, I would choose the Fuel. It is likely around 2 lbs heavier, but includes a remote dropper post, true trail wheels that are better for low-pressure tubeless (great for roots), the suspension is more supple, and it still climbs well. I demoed a the Fuel 9.8 29er and it climbed well. I left both ends in trail mode for the ride. I owned the old Superfly 100 AL and was impressed with how well the Fuel rode in comparison. You can get the remote lockouts for the Fuel through project one if you are sold on that feature. The fork and shock is adjustable on the fly (CTD modes), but it means reaching down to the fork or the harder-to-reach shock on the Fuel.

#9 ·
I should have been more specific. I was an Elite class racer in the late 90's, a lot less competition back, and 99% hardtails. I tend to ride at a race pace almost every ride so there is nothing relaxed about my riding style. That being said, I figured the fuel would be more stable due to my aggressive riding but I figured the superfly would be faster. The negatives I see with the Fuel is the higher rotating mass, slightly heavier bike, and no handle bar controls for the shocks. I'm not going to reach down and lock the shocks out for a climb or switch them do descend on the downhills so the shocks might as well have no on the fly adjustment. The Superfly would be a no brainer for me if they had a little more travel.

#14 ·
Ok, rode both bikes. I loved the 1x11 on the Fuel, other than that I liked everything else about the superfly. The ability to adjust the shocks from the handle bar made the superfly stand out. With the touch of a lever I locked out the shock for a climb then clicked the lever at the top and the shocks go to descend mode, which felt as plush as the Fuel in its trail mode. If the fuel had the same remote adjustment it would have been a harder choice. The fuel on acceleration and climbing was all over the place compared to the superfly. I think I made the right choice for my Wisconsin terrain, constant hills, up down up down up down. When I go out west I'll rent a downhill bike.
Thanks for all the feedback!
P.S. Ill be selling the wheelset,rotors, and tires off the new bike once it's unboxed and built..So tomorrow:)

Bontrager Race Lite Tubeless Ready w/Stacked Lacing, 15mm front, 142x12 rear

Bontrager XR1 Team Issue Tubeless Ready, aramid bead, 29x2.20"

XT rotors

#18 ·
P.S. Ill be selling the wheelset,rotors, and tires off the new bike once it's unboxed and built..So tomorrow:)

Bontrager Race Lite Tubeless Ready w/Stacked Lacing, 15mm front, 142x12 rear

Bontrager XR1 Team Issue Tubeless Ready, aramid bead, 29x2.20"

XT rotors
These wheels seem lighter than the Stans Arch EX which are a very good choice. What is the wheelset that you have chosen and why?

#15 ·
Good choice the 2014 Superfly is a great bike, tested one for about 3 hours. With 29inch wheels 100mm travel is perfect for me. I loved the way it climbed and the steering was fast but not twitchy. The bike was light and fast and fun. I already have a 23lb Rocky Mountain Element 2013 RSL bike that I love, but the Superfly maybe the perfect race bike for me !!

#16 ·
I have a 2014 Sfly 9.9 with dual remote lockout. This feature alone makes the bike an incredibly versatile bike. If you want plush, just leave it in descend mode. It may only be 100mm of travel but its a very comfortable 100mm. Trail mode turns the bike into a single track rocket and climb mode is fully locked out for super efficient climbing or road work.

Mine is full XTR with a Wolftooth 32 chainring 1x10 setup. With XR3's setup tubeless and XT pedals, total weight is 22.1 lbs. I will use the bike for XC racing and endurance rides. Project one is a great idea, i built the bike just the way I wanted it.

#17 ·
Project one would be nice but the 9.8 was pushing my budget even at the insane price I got it at. I was leaning towards the Fuel but After riding both side by side it wasn't even close, superly hands down. As much as I want 1x11 it was no contest. I'll probably sell it it 2 years when shimano comes out with their 1x11 or 1x12. They will maybe as early as next year with XTR.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.