mtbr member
    Oct 2013

Cool-blue Rhythm 2014 Trek Remedy 29er Review

I want to say that I just received my 2014 Trek Remedy 29er. I am a big guy around 280 lbs and I am an aggressive downhiller but I also climb everything I come down. I ride the size XL which most people should consider that get the Large since the only real dimension difference is a 2CM longer top tube so it sets you up more leaned forward and better balance for those like me that 6' or so. So I want to say that flat out that this is the best bike I have ever owned period! It climbs excellent with the 29ers and being my size I need all the help I can get but it is fast and smooth up hill and the geometry is comfortable and powerful. I actually think that climbing in the middle trail setting the bike actually faster climbing than being locked out. So.....let's talk about the downhill. This bike darts quickly where you point it and is very stable, it glides and floats and is smooth and you will literally laugh out loud on how well the suspension works and how fast you are moving. The bike is flat out awesome! See a rut, rock drop and the bike just doesn't care and it is so silky it is freaky. The front Fox fork being 140mm and 34mm in this bike is so stiff it is just flat out incredible. Having the DCRV is way better on the back shock, where it works better than the front is very good. I have made some changes to this bike for my size and making it easier to climb which is a 3 ring front XT crank vs. the 2 ring with the standard 11-36 in back and I also opted out of the dropper seatpost due to the fact I blow through lightweight shocks front or back and having a heavy seat post fail on me or shrink when riding I have no interest in. I also upgraded the wheels from the Bontrager Rhythm Elite to the Bontrager Rhythm Pro and I changed out the rock hard road bike type seat with something that works but whatever its a seat.
    What can I say I love this bike and I have had Giant and two recent Santa Cruz bikes and it was hard for me to switch to Trek but I did because what you get for the dollar and the technology in the suspension cannot be equaled in my opinion especially on the Remedy 9 that has the whole XT component specification.
    Buy one and rock and role it will make you comfortable and fast when you climb and make you laugh when you go down hill....by the way the twin XT 180mm disc brakes are awesome....forget all the other brakes out there.
    Rock n roll.

What could go wrong ...
    paragraphs are your friend ... and how many times are you going to post the exact same thing?
    I used to ride to Win ... Now I ride to Grin

While my guitar gently weeps, my bike sits there mocking me

Trail Bomber
    Sep 2013
    I love mine Remedy 29er!... remedy fears nothing..
    2014 Trek Remedy 7 29er + 150mm Pike
    2012 Specialized Status II + Boxxer World Cup

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Same here...ive got the 8...love it.the bike does everthing well.had to send the fork in though, becuase of the recall.anyone do the same..alot of thes bikes came with the 2013 damper.fox is going to put the 2014 in now.which they should of done in the first place.

mtbr member
    Rode one at a demo day just for giggles, that bike has no business climbing as well as it does, hides its weight well, and dares you to barrel over the rough stuff at speed. Not my cup of tea but a great bike for sure.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by teethandnails View Post
    I love mine Remedy 29er!... remedy fears nothing..
    Only thing you have to fear, is fear itself! lol

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by beanesbk View Post
    Same here...ive got the 8...love it.the bike does everthing well.had to send the fork in though, becuase of the recall.anyone do the same..alot of thes bikes came with the 2013 damper.fox is going to put the 2014 in now.which they should of done in the first place.

I also have an 8; I'm participating in the recall on the fork and swapping out the dampers on both ends. I may also be able to take advantage of some other upgrades as well. Will post pictures/updates in my review thread when that happens. I plan to send them in the the week of the 18th; I'm getting one last DH day in on Saturday.
    2014 Trek Remedy 8 29er
    2003 Gary Fisher X-Caliber - Mid rebuild

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Mumphry View Post
    I also have an 8; I'm participating in the recall on the fork and swapping out the dampers on both ends. I may also be able to take advantage of some other upgrades as well. Will post pictures/updates in my review thread when that happens. I plan to send them in the the week of the 18th; I'm getting one last DH day in on Saturday.
    Interesting i thought the rear was great..what other ugrades are u talking about..i was thinking maybe n da future getting a spacer kit from push for da drcv rear just to try it out ...but really no compaints ..

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    The valving on the rear is fine once you dial it in, but I still want to see if they can tighten descend up a little bit. Maybe a couple other things too, but I'm still waiting to hear back from them about it.
    2014 Trek Remedy 8 29er
    2003 Gary Fisher X-Caliber - Mid rebuild

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    You know I believe you can put a lot more pressure in the rear than they say on line and it makes a big difference. Call Fox.