18. You may not vote on this poll
  • Camber Comp

6 33.33%
  • Fuel Ex 7

12 66.67%
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member

2014 Specialzed Camber Comp vs 2014 Trek Fuel Ex 7

Hello all! I need some reassurance on my purchase. My local bike shop has excellent deals on close-outs. The 2014 Specialized Camber Comp @ 1999.99 & the 2014 Trek Fuel Ex 7 @ 2399.00
    My budget is 2000.00. I special ordered the Camber Comp in red. Here is a link to the specs for both bikes:
    2014 Camber Comp 29 vs 2014 Fuel EX 7 29 - Mountain Bikes Comparison
    I am just getting back into riding again after a long break & plan on just riding twisty trails in Tx but want something that I won't outgrow too soon.
    Which of the 2 offers the most bang for the buck?
    Did I do the right thing by getting the Specialzed?
    Thanks!

mtbr member
    I own the Camber, but it's a 2013 Camber Carbon frame with 2012 Camber Comp wheels and drive train. That makes no difference in my decision as to which one is the better of the two you posted. the Trek has better almost everything when it comes to components, shock, fork, brakes, drive train. Get the Trek. I'm sure you will enjoy it.
    2013 Specialized Carbon Camber Pro 29er (Warranty frame and other stuff)
    2011 Specialized Stumpjumper Comp 29er

mtbr member
    Thank you sgtjim. So one for the Trek. I'm not very knowledgeable but with what little I know, the front shocks of the Trek have the appearance of better quality. I also like how the cables are routed internally. Not crazy about the color scheme but that's least important.

mtbr member

I prefer the Fuel. Not sure about the Specialized but I can tell you that is not a deal on the Fuel 7. That's almost retail on a yr old bike.

My current bike--2014 Trek Fuel EX 8 29er.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Robg68 View Post
    I prefer the Fuel. Not sure about the Specialized but I can tell you that is not a deal on the Fuel 7. That's almost retail on a yr old bike.

Hi Robg68.
    Thank you for the info. You're right, that the Trek isn't discounted all that much. The Specialized retails for 2699 & discount to 1999. That seems like more of a considerable discount. Still, if I could pull it off, you think the Trek offers more? Is what the bike has to offer worth the 2399?

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    You'll be fine with the Camber, lots of great reviews

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by Bird View Post
    You'll be fine with the Camber, lots of great reviews
    Thank you Bird. I have read the review & they seem pretty good. It seems as though most rate the camber comp as a good all-around bike for trail & cross-country. So, one for the comp.

mtbr member

There are some guys on here this week that have found the fuel 7 for 1500 and the fuel 8 for 1900. Just look in the Trek section on this forum.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Camber is a better deal. The Fox fork should be better but it looks like a cheapo evolution, Fox has been making a lot of crap lately...the Camber has received rave reviews, check out the Bible of Bikes 2014 on youtube, bike magazine, although they tested the high end model.

If they discounted the trek it would be a different story, save your money...

mtbr member

Comparing the 2 bikes you listed. The fuel has more travel and in my opinion better suspension. The brakes on the Specialized suck compared to the Shimano's on the Fuel. As far as the other components go I couldn't tell ya.

mtbr member

There are some guys on here this week that have found the fuel 7 for 1500 and the fuel 8 for 1900. Just look in the Trek section on this forum.

Comparing the 2 bikes you listed. The fuel has more travel and in my opinion better suspension. The brakes on the Specialized suck compared to the Shimano's on the Fuel. As far as the other components go I couldn't tell ya.

Really? 1500-1900? Well, I guess that I would have to either stick with the Comp or go with the Trek at the higher price because there would be a 20% re-stocking fee. That's because they had the special order the Comp in my size.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cjsb View Post
    Camber is a better deal. The Fox fork should be better but it looks like a cheapo evolution, Fox has been making a lot of crap lately...the Camber has received rave reviews, check out the Bible of Bikes 2014 on youtube, bike magazine, although they tested the high end model.

If they discounted the trek it would be a different story, save your money...
    Hello cjsb. Thank you for your input. So, one more for the Comp. Wasn't aware that the Fox Evolution was a low end model. I should point out that I'm coming from what would be considered a piece of crap entry level 1999 Kona Hahanna hard tail 32 lbs. : )
    I believe that just about any bike in this price range is going to be a huge improvement.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    The brakes on the trek are alot better, but for the price difference, just look for shimano brakes on sale over the next 12 months and ride the stock crap brakes on the Camber until they need a bleed.

Paying a 20%re-stocking fee to change oretty much makes the decision for you. Why would you even consider that expense, it would add $400 to the cost of the Trek.

You can read about Fox forks in the MTBR forums, maybe this 2014 model is one where they straightened out all of the problems? If that is the case then yes, the fork is way better on the Trek, but big if. Also, the Camber has a 9mm QR fork? They went super-cheapo on that thing. Anyway, none of this would justify paying an additional $400, just to get out of the Camber. Just love the bike you ride--the one you are stuck with sometimes.

mtbr member
    The brakes on the trek are alot better, but for the price difference, just look for shimano brakes on sale over the next 12 months and ride the stock crap brakes on the Camber until they need a bleed.

Paying a 20%re-stocking fee to change oretty much makes the decision for you. Why would you even consider that expense, it would add $400 to the cost of the Trek.

You can read about Fox forks in the MTBR forums, maybe this 2014 model is one where they straightened out all of the problems? If that is the case then yes, the fork is way better on the Trek, but big if. Also, the Camber has a 9mm QR fork? They went super-cheapo on that thing. Anyway, none of this would justify paying an additional $400, just to get out of the Camber. Just love the bike you ride--the one you are stuck with sometimes.
    I only have to pay the re-stocking fee if I don't buy a bike from them period. From what I understand, I can change models if I want. I guess that I am excited to go for a ride this weekend & am thinking, "what if the Comp doesn't show up this week like they said it would." They both look good to me but I do like the design better of the Trek & it appears to have more name brand parts vs Specialized house brand.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    If your budget is really 2k I don't think you'll do too much better than that Camber Comp, I wouldn't second guess your decision at all.

The Camber is a great bike, the Comp gets some nice upgrades on the base model--the double drive train, the fork, etc. Should be a very capable all around trail bike that will last a long time. The fuel is a fine bike too but IMO not worth $400 more, particularly since that's 400 over your declared budget. I would say overall the capability and longevity between the two is going to be more or less the same, especially if you're not going to be nitpicking it.

Also, personally, I despise triples. They're a pain to adjust, seem to need adjustment more often, and don't shift as fast as doubles (though 1x is my favorite). The increase in gearing is usually both at top and low end, but its not actually by a tremendous amount, and on a 29er the 36-11 top gear of the Camber Comp is plenty for most anything.

If you intend to race a lot, you might want to go with a lighter faster bike, or if you intend to ride agressive or at DH parks, maybe an AM bike. But for all around, general purpose MTB, either of those bikes will do a fantastic job.
    '12 Santa Cruz Superlight 29 | '12 Santa Cruz Butcher | '06 Specialized Allez Comp | '81 Schwinn Converted Fixie

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Primalspy View Post
    I do like the design better of the Trek & it appears to have more name brand parts vs Specialized house brand.
    Bontrager is Trek's house brand, and Specialized uses their name on some house parts and Roval on others (wheels). So at a glance they both have the same number of in-house parts. Also, Specialized tires are slightly more than just a house brand as they quite often end up on other brands bikes aftermarket. They actually started out as a tire importer.

Edit: It's also kind of a moot point as their in house brands have become pretty good in the last decade.
    '12 Santa Cruz Superlight 29 | '12 Santa Cruz Butcher | '06 Specialized Allez Comp | '81 Schwinn Converted Fixie

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost_03 View Post
    If your budget is really 2k I don't think you'll do too much better than that Camber Comp, I wouldn't second guess your decision at all.

The Camber is a great bike, the Comp gets some nice upgrades on the base model--the double drive train, the fork, etc. Should be a very capable all around trail bike that will last a long time. The fuel is a fine bike too but IMO not worth $400 more, particularly since that's 400 over your declared budget. I would say overall the capability and longevity between the two is going to be more or less the same, especially if you're not going to be nitpicking it.

Also, personally, I despise triples. They're a pain to adjust, seem to need adjustment more often, and don't shift as fast as doubles (though 1x is my favorite). The increase in gearing is usually both at top and low end, but its not actually by a tremendous amount, and on a 29er the 36-11 top gear of the Camber Comp is plenty for most anything.

If you intend to race a lot, you might want to go with a lighter faster bike, or if you intend to ride agressive or at DH parks, maybe an AM bike. But for all around, general purpose MTB, either of those bikes will do a fantastic job.
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost_03 View Post
    Bontrager is Trek's house brand, and Specialized uses their name on some house parts and Roval on others (wheels). So at a glance they both have the same number of in-house parts. Also, Specialized tires are slightly more than just a house brand as they quite often end up on other brands bikes aftermarket. They actually started out as a tire importer.

Edit: It's also kind of a moot point as their in house brands have become pretty good in the last decade.
    Hi Ghost! I like the points that you brought up about the gearing. I wasn't aware that Bontrager was Treks house brand. I am just getting back into it so if I'm super consistent, then maybe I'll begin to upgrade parts in the future, as they wear. Thank you for your time!

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I would stick with your first choice and your budget, but you haven't indicated whether one fits better than the other. You still have to ride one of them...

mtbr member
    I would stick with your first choice and your budget, but you haven't indicated whether one fits better than the other. You still have to ride one of them...
    I think that I will stick with my first choice, like you said. I just wanted to make sure that it is a good decision. Honestly, the only bike I've ridden was the 14 Camber Comp Evo. I test rode it because they had it in stock in my size & hadn't ever tried a 2x10 before.
    Also, something that seemed strange to me, but kind of makes sense, was that all the gears are changed with the thumbs & nothing with the fore-fingers. To me, it seems as though it would allow for more fingers to be on the grip at all times. Is this something that I could easily adapt to?

29ers Forever
    The Trek Fuel EX has a better component spec for the price, and has the slacker g2 geometry as well as a full floater and more (10mm) suspension travel.
    Big Wheels Keep On Rolling

Forth Eorlingas!

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    adjusting o SRAM shifters might take you 15 minutes.

this is your decision, they are both solid bikes and both will blow away your old Kona, so you'll be happy either way. Only you can answer whether you'd be $400 happier with the Trek. The Trek deinfitely has better brakes, on paper better fork, Camber has better tires and possibly better wheels. For other components, e.g., bars, saddles, etc..I'd take Specialized in-house over Bontrager all day long. Since you are not out the $400 deposit, you could sit on the Trek and test it. $400 is a lot in this price range, I just don't see it on paper...

Below is Camber review

29ers Forever
    adjusting o SRAM shifters might take you 15 minutes.

this is your decision, they are both solid bikes and both will blow away your old Kona, so you'll be happy either way. Only you can answer whether you'd be $400 happier with the Trek. The Trek deinfitely has better brakes, on paper better fork, Camber has better tires and possibly better wheels. For other components, e.g., bars, saddles, etc..I'd take Specialized in-house over Bontrager all day long. Since you are not out the $400 deposit, you could sit on the Trek and test it. $400 is a lot in this price range, I just don't see it on paper...

Below is Camber review

I don't understand what bikes you are comparing. The EX7 is $30USD more than the Camber Comp and it is worth every penny more. The fork is better, the brakes are better, and so is the drivetrain.
    I wouldn't spend $2600 on a bike with 30mm stanchions in the fork, or Tektro brakes, or an X5 derailleur.
    The Trek has 32mm stanchion forks, stiffer and better, and all Shimano for the brakes and drivetrain. The Shimanos are far better than the components on the Specialized.
    Big Wheels Keep On Rolling

Forth Eorlingas!

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by CannondaleF9 View Post
    I don't understand what bikes you are comparing. The EX7 is $30USD more than the Camber Comp and it is worth every penny more. The fork is better, the brakes are better, and so is the drivetrain.
    I wouldn't spend $2600 on a bike with 30mm stanchions in the fork, or Tektro brakes, or an X5 derailleur.
    The Trek has 32mm stanchion forks, stiffer and better, and all Shimano for the brakes and drivetrain. The Shimanos are far better than the components on the Specialized.
    I am going by the OP, very first post--which states that the Camber he is looking at is $1999, and the Trek is $2399. If those prices are correct then it is a $400 difference, with the Trek being $400 more than the Camber. The OP also stated that his budget is $2000.

mtbr member

You will get used to the thumb only shifting easily. My two most recent bikes had SRAM x7 shifters and they are setup that was as well.

I like it better because my thumb is already down there anyways.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I just got an email from trek that they are having a sale this weekend. They list the Fuel EX8 at $2499... Trek Summer Sale collection - Trek Bicycle

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast