View Poll Results: Specialized vs Trek

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • Camber Comp

    6 33.33%
  • Fuel Ex 7

    12 66.67%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Results 51 to 67 of 67
  1. #51
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sgtjim57's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    490
    Congrats. As a Camber owner I really feel you made the right choice at that price point. Also happy you enjoyed the way it handled on the trail. Now just keep the wheels down and all will be well.
    2013 Specialized Carbon Camber Pro 29er (Warranty frame and other stuff round two)
    2011 Specialized Stumpjumper Comp 29er

  2. #52
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Primalspy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    48
    Quote Originally Posted by sgtjim57 View Post
    Congrats. As a Camber owner I really feel you made the right choice at that price point. Also happy you enjoyed the way it handled on the trail. Now just keep the wheels down and all will be well.
    Why thank you!
    I just hope that I didn't get screwed.
    Looks like Trek lowered the price of the Fuel EX 8 from 2,939.99 down to 2,499.
    I know that my lbs has a really good customer satisfaction policy. They'll take back any bike with so many days if not happy. I would kind of hate to keep trading up. That's what what I did when I got into photography & ended up with a $3799.00 camera.
    Maybe I should just not look at other bikes, keep what I have & be happy. I did get a $200 gift card.

  3. #53
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sgtjim57's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    490
    Stay away from the shops, off the internet, and no dirt bike mags and you should be fine. Also don't look at bikes other folks are riding and don't listen for noises in yours or you'll end up like me taking it to the shop for repairs and see something that catches your eye.
    2013 Specialized Carbon Camber Pro 29er (Warranty frame and other stuff round two)
    2011 Specialized Stumpjumper Comp 29er

  4. #54
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Primalspy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    48
    Quote Originally Posted by sgtjim57 View Post
    Stay away from the shops, off the internet, and no dirt bike mags and you should be fine. Also don't look at bikes other folks are riding and don't listen for noises in yours or you'll end up like me taking it to the shop for repairs and see something that catches your eye.
    Good advice. I'll just be looking at accessories from now on.
    Wouldn't mind getting a GoPro one of these days, since I do enjoy making videos. Maybe a GPS?

  5. #55
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sgtjim57's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    490
    Quote Originally Posted by Primalspy View Post
    Good advice. I'll just be looking at accessories from now on.
    Wouldn't mind getting a GoPro one of these days, since I do enjoy making videos. Maybe a GPS?
    Go Pro would be nice and a GPS may be necessary depending where you ride.
    2013 Specialized Carbon Camber Pro 29er (Warranty frame and other stuff round two)
    2011 Specialized Stumpjumper Comp 29er

  6. #56
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Primalspy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    48
    Quote Originally Posted by youngstrom View Post
    I just got an email from trek that they are having a sale this weekend. They list the Fuel EX8 at $2499... Trek Summer Sale collection - Trek Bicycle
    You're right! This morning I contacted my lbs via email to ask why I wasn't offered the Fuel 8 for only 200.00 more instead of trying to sell me a bunch accessories to go with it. I am waiting for a response. They have a 100% satisfaction gaursntee on their website stating that you can bring back any bike within 7 days for either a full refund or exchange.
    The only difference I am seeing that stand out between the Fuel 7 & 8 are the brakes & shifter/derailer components. They both appear to have the same frame, wheels, shocks.
    Any thoughts on whether to to return it or is the 200.00 difference for better parts not really a big deal?
    Heres a link to their close outs:
    Closeout Bikes - Bicycle Sport Shop - Bike sales, service and rentals. Austin, Texas

  7. #57
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    79
    Better components, and a 12x142 rear end as well.

    id personally take the 8. I'd get the highest end model you can afford.

    right now IMO your right at the tipping point where money not only is buying you lighter and higher preformance parts, but your going to get a little more durability out of some of the better parts.

  8. #58
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Primalspy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    48
    Quote Originally Posted by lawnboi View Post
    Better components, and a 12x142 rear end as well.

    id personally take the 8. I'd get the highest end model you can afford.

    right now IMO your right at the tipping point where money not only is buying you lighter and higher preformance parts, but your going to get a little more durability out of some of the better parts.
    Ya. I called my lbs & they were really cool about it, saying to just bring it back in. I do kind of like the black, blue, while color scheme. It has a similar look of the Ex 9.7 with the white forks. The Ex 8 looks like it would hide dust & dirt easier. I have the bike loaded up & am just thinking of whether or not to do this. I don't want to get trapped into trading up & up. It's way better than the bike I'm coming from by leaps & bounds.
    Last edited by Primalspy; 07-20-2014 at 06:28 PM.

  9. #59
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    107
    Go with the 8

  10. #60
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Primalspy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    48
    Quote Originally Posted by EvanWilliams1783 View Post
    Go with the 8
    Alright guys! I swapped the 7 for the 8 & feel pretty good about it!
    I didn't want to have any regrets.
    i think this case is closed now. Now, all I have to do, is learn how to ride it!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2014 Specialzed Camber Comp vs 2014 Trek Fuel Ex 7-image.jpg  

    Last edited by Primalspy; 07-20-2014 at 06:17 PM.

  11. #61
    29ers Forever
    Reputation: CannondaleF9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    2,787
    Quote Originally Posted by Primalspy View Post
    Alright guys! I swapped the 7 for the 8 & feel pretty good about it!
    I didn't want to have any regrets.
    i think this case is closed now. Now, all I have to do, is learn hoe to ride it!
    Sweet! Now get it dirty.
    2013 Trek Cobia- 29er
    2015 Raleigh Misceo- Gravel bike
    2013 Trek 3700 Disk- 26er
    1994 Cannondale R300- narrow tire roadie

  12. #62
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Robg68's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    298

    2014 Specialzed Camber Comp vs 2014 Trek Fuel Ex 7

    Wise choice going up to the 8. Now go out and have a good time I've had my 8 since November and Love it.


    My current bike--2014 Trek Fuel EX 8 29er.

  13. #63
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Primalspy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    48
    Quote Originally Posted by CannondaleF9 View Post
    Sweet! Now get it dirty.
    Will do...will do.

  14. #64
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Primalspy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    48
    Quote Originally Posted by Robg68 View Post
    Wise choice going up to the 8. Now go out and have a good time I've had my 8 since November and Love it.


    My current bike--2014 Trek Fuel EX 8 29er.
    Thanks man! I have a feeling that if my lbs is selling the 7 for 2,399 & the 8 for 2,499, that they would absolutely have to lower the price of the 7 in order to move them. That means that within a matter of days, or whenever they mark it down more, my bike will be sold for less than what I paid. This is a really good, large, family owned shop in Austin Tx. You may pay a little more at my lbs than what I've heard others paying elsewhere, but they offer lots if support, free maintenance clinics, 2 free tune-ups, & the buy-back warranty. Plus, I still have the 200.00 Trek gift card.

  15. #65
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    479
    Dude after all this to-ing and fro-ing you can now call yourself a true Mountain Biker. See attached video:

    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WPVRU7jSYkQ

    I have the Fuel Ex 8 too. Good choice.

    Now go ride your damn bike!

  16. #66
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sgtjim57's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    490
    Nice
    2013 Specialized Carbon Camber Pro 29er (Warranty frame and other stuff round two)
    2011 Specialized Stumpjumper Comp 29er

  17. #67
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Primalspy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    48
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi_GR_Biker View Post
    Dude after all this to-ing and fro-ing you can now call yourself a true Mountain Biker. See attached video:

    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WPVRU7jSYkQ

    I have the Fuel Ex 8 too. Good choice.

    Now go ride your damn bike!
    Hilarious!!! I loved it! It's so right on! The same dang thing happened to me when I got into photography. Started off with cheap camera, kept upgrading, ended up with about 10,000 in gear.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Similar Threads

  1. 2014 camber evo 29 vs 2014 stumpjumper fsr comp 29
    By trevor_b in forum Specialized
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 10-30-2014, 02:58 PM
  2. Replies: 24
    Last Post: 06-17-2014, 07:49 PM
  3. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-02-2014, 10:50 AM
  4. Replies: 17
    Last Post: 02-13-2014, 04:42 PM
  5. 2014 Trek Fuel EX 5 vs 2014 Kona Precept DL
    By Cheesecakeslash in forum 29er Bikes
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-17-2013, 07:42 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •