View Poll Results: Specialized vs Trek

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • Camber Comp

    6 33.33%
  • Fuel Ex 7

    12 66.67%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 67
  1. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    787
    If the OP can afford to blow his budget anther $400 before tax then he should ride both and try and decide which bike fits better. Around the block rides may not tell much, but at least get the LBS to spend time and get you fitted comfortably on each bike, with the right amount of sag in the suspension. Pay attention to whether the Crap fork on the Camber is a deal breaker compared to the cheapo Fox. Use the force, padawan...

  2. #27
    29ers Forever
    Reputation: CannondaleF9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    2,644
    Quote Originally Posted by cjsb View Post
    If the OP can afford to blow his budget anther $400 before tax then he should ride both and try and decide which bike fits better. Around the block rides may not tell much, but at least get the LBS to spend time and get you fitted comfortably on each bike, with the right amount of sag in the suspension. Pay attention to whether the Crap fork on the Camber is a deal breaker compared to the cheapo Fox. Use the force, padawan...
    $2000 is a better price for the Camber, but then why not look at the Fuel EX5?
    The EX5 still has better brakes and fork than the Camber.
    2013 Trek Cobia- 29er serious mountain bike
    2015 Raleigh Misceo- Gravel bike
    2013 Trek 3700 Disk- play mountain bike

  3. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    787
    Quote Originally Posted by CannondaleF9 View Post
    $2000 is a better price for the Camber, but then why not look at the Fuel EX5?
    The EX5 still has better brakes and fork than the Camber.
    agree, but maybe these are the two options from the LBS?

    that fork on the Camber does suck, espcially if it isn't 32mm stancions as claimed by another poster. All of the changes in the bike industry that improve rides, and they are specing a bike with turd fork for well over $2K AT FULL PRICE. aftermarket new fork upgrade is expensive. One could make an argument that the Camber's MSRP should be $1999 just for turd fork and what it would cost the customer to upgrade. with the $400 deposit he is lokced in to buying a bike from them. Worst case, get the Camber and in 3 years buy a used Revelation or Reba and front wheel, enjoy it for another 3 years...

  4. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    57
    I voted for the trek because I've ridden both of the models you mentioned and the Fuel is a notably better bike. That being said, both are fine for entry level riders, so you'd probably be better served to spend your time riding whatever bike you've got rather than agonizing over details and what-if's on the internet. Go ride your damn bike and then post some trail shots here to get your internet fix! If you have a bike and a trail, you're basically guaranteed to have a good time, so get out there and stir up some dust!

  5. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    289
    Quote Originally Posted by Primalspy View Post
    Also, something that seemed strange to me, but kind of makes sense, was that all the gears are changed with the thumbs & nothing with the fore-fingers. To me, it seems as though it would allow for more fingers to be on the grip at all times. Is this something that I could easily adapt to?
    Yes. Aside from the advantages you've listed, it also allows you to keep your index finger on the brakes while you're shifting. People like it so much, Shimano copied and made it so their shifters can be operated with only thumbs as well.
    '12 Santa Cruz Superlight 29 | '12 Santa Cruz Butcher | '06 Specialized Allez Comp | '81 Schwinn Converted Fixie

  6. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Primalspy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    47
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost_03 View Post
    Yes. Aside from the advantages you've listed, it also allows you to keep your index finger on the brakes while you're shifting. People like it so much, Shimano copied and made it so their shifters can be operated with only thumbs as well.
    Hey Ghost! Guess what....the wrong color of Comp came in. I ordered red because I thought that it would look sportier & the grey one came in. I asked if they could discount the Trek even more due to the inconvenience. He's bringing the price down another 100.00 off the Fuel Ex 7 to reduce from 2,399 to 2,299. So, just a 300.00 difference. Should I wait & get the red (one more week), just be thankful & take the grey Comp or take advantage of the Fuel Ex 7 for 2,299?

  7. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    787
    take the $100 buy the Trek--post pics of bike--ride today--end thread. (in a humorous tone)

  8. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    289
    Quote Originally Posted by Primalspy View Post
    Hey Ghost! Guess what....the wrong color of Comp came in. I ordered red because I thought that it would look sportier & the grey one came in. I asked if they could discount the Trek even more due to the inconvenience. He's bringing the price down another 100.00 off the Fuel Ex 7 to reduce from 2,399 to 2,299. So, just a 300.00 difference. Should I wait & get the red (one more week), just be thankful & take the grey Comp or take advantage of the Fuel Ex 7 for 2,299?
    Dude the same thing happened to me in 2006. I was buying an Allez Elite and wanted the Red but the bike shop got the Grey. I decided to take it anyway. Ended up moving cross country and sold it on ebay--for MORE than I paid for it NEW. I actually asked the buyer why he paid so much and he told me Spesh had completely sold out of the grey and it was in demand. Some time after the move I upgraded to a Blue Allez Comp that I still have today.

    I don't know how this story applies, but as its such a coincidence I thought I'd share. Anyway, if you don't mind the grey, you could always see if they'd knock some off that or give you some free accessories or something, since they did mess it up. Even at $300 difference I would still get the Camber over the Trek. If you really want the Red then I would definitely wait for it to come in though. You don't want to regret a big purchase like that.

    '12 Santa Cruz Superlight 29 | '12 Santa Cruz Butcher | '06 Specialized Allez Comp | '81 Schwinn Converted Fixie

  9. #34
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Primalspy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    47
    Quote Originally Posted by CannondaleF9 View Post
    The Trek Fuel EX has a better component spec for the price, and has the slacker g2 geometry as well as a full floater and more (10mm) suspension travel.
    Thank you for the input.

  10. #35
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Primalspy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    47
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRed390 View Post
    I voted for the trek because I've ridden both of the models you mentioned and the Fuel is a notably better bike. That being said, both are fine for entry level riders, so you'd probably be better served to spend your time riding whatever bike you've got rather than agonizing over details and what-if's on the internet. Go ride your damn bike and then post some trail shots here to get your internet fix! If you have a bike and a trail, you're basically guaranteed to have a good time, so get out there and stir up some dust!
    Very well put BigRed! Lol
    Any bike in this range is going to be great for me, being a beginner. Not yet a shredder. On a positive note, my lbs now has both brands in my size to try, so I'm going there after work & will be able to compare them side by side. I'll test ride both & post the results of my finding here. I appreciate all the replies I've received. So much to learn.
    Last edited by Primalspy; 07-21-2014 at 07:28 PM.

  11. #36
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    77
    Coming from somebody who has bought a low end full sus bike before, save a little more money, and get a little better component package if you are a serious rider.

    On second note I think the ex7 is as low as a build as I would go. The cheaper camber, as well as most of specialized low end builds are just junk IMO for the price. You get way more bang for your buck with the trek.

    Negotiate with your bike shop! I'd bet you could get a considerable amount off that ex7.

  12. #37
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Primalspy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    47
    Quote Originally Posted by lawnboi View Post
    Coming from somebody who has bought a low end full sus bike before, save a little more money, and get a little better component package if you are a serious rider.

    On second note I think the ex7 is as low as a build as I would go. The cheaper camber, as well as most of specialized low end builds are just junk IMO for the price. You get way more bang for your buck with the trek.

    Negotiate with your bike shop! I'd bet you could get a considerable amount off that ex7.
    Hello Lawnboi. I got the lbs to lower the Trek by 100.00. Maybe I can squeeze another 100.00 out of them or negotiate extra tune-ups or gear. Out it this way, they have way more left-over Treks in stock that they need to get rid of then the Camber Comps. We'll see what I can pull off. Even though I can pretty much do what I want with my own money, I kind of proposed the Mrs. I would keep the cost down. : )

  13. #38
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    787
    Quote Originally Posted by Primalspy View Post
    Hello Lawnboi. I got the lbs to lower the Trek by 100.00. Maybe I can squeeze another 100.00 out of them or negotiate extra tune-ups or gear. Out it this way, they have way more left-over Treks in stock that they need to get rid of then the Camber Comps. We'll see what I can pull off. Even though I can pretty much do what I want with my own money, I kind of proposed the Mrs. I would keep the cost down. : )
    Just remember that the more expensive bike will provide a greater safety factor so you are more likely to come home in one piece.

  14. #39
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Sickmak90's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    789

    2014 Specialzed Camber Comp vs 2014 Trek Fuel Ex 7

    At that price point I don't think either of those bikes are going to be unsafe......

  15. #40
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    787
    Quote Originally Posted by Sickmak90 View Post
    At that price point I don't think either of those bikes are going to be unsafe......
    Keep it down dude, his wife doesn't know that!!!!!!!

  16. #41
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Sickmak90's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    789

    2014 Specialzed Camber Comp vs 2014 Trek Fuel Ex 7

    If I have to spend $2,400 to be safe I'll be dead in no time. I only paid $1239 for my bike, it has standard QD axles, a non-tapered head tube, and avid brakes!!!

  17. #42
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Primalspy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    47

    Trek Won!

    OK Guys! I ended up with the Trek. I just had to do it! I know it was a little over budget but it does have a much better setup. The already discounted price of 2,399 was discounted an additional 100.00 =2,299 + because of their Summer sale, Trek is giving out right there at the store a $200.00 gift card to be used towards Trek products in-store + I got 15% off of 5 or more accessories so I purchased helmets for both me & my wife, a Specialized floor pump, better pedals, 2 extra tubes & a seat post bag.
    They spent quite a bit of time with me, dialing in the shock pressure & rebound adjustments, seat height, etc.

    Thank you to all those who replied & gave me their 2 cents. I really appreciate it!

    Hope to see all you, or at least those that live in my area, on the trails!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2014 Specialzed Camber Comp vs 2014 Trek Fuel Ex 7-dsc03124.jpg  

    2014 Specialzed Camber Comp vs 2014 Trek Fuel Ex 7-dsc03125.jpg  

    2014 Specialzed Camber Comp vs 2014 Trek Fuel Ex 7-dsc03128.jpg  


  18. #43
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Robg68's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    253

    2014 Specialzed Camber Comp vs 2014 Trek Fuel Ex 7

    Congrats man!!! GREAT CHOISE!!!


    My current bike--2014 Trek Fuel EX 8 29er.

  19. #44
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Sickmak90's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    789

    2014 Specialzed Camber Comp vs 2014 Trek Fuel Ex 7

    After playing around with the new fuel ex 27.5 I want one bad. You made a good choice.

  20. #45
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Primalspy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    47
    Quote Originally Posted by Robg68 View Post
    Congrats man!!! GREAT CHOISE!!!


    My current bike--2014 Trek Fuel EX 8 29er.
    Thanks my man!

  21. #46
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Primalspy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    47
    Quote Originally Posted by Sickmak90 View Post
    After playing around with the new fuel ex 27.5 I want one bad. You made a good choice.
    Thank you Sickmac! Going riding this weekend. I can't wait!

  22. #47
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    787
    Right, on!!! You got a great deal with all of the extras from the LBS. Enjoy!!!!

  23. #48
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Primalspy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    47
    Quote Originally Posted by cjsb View Post
    Right, on!!! You got a great deal with all of the extras from the LBS. Enjoy!!!!
    Thank you very much! I took it out for a spin on the trails today. I wasn't expecting it to be so muddy. It had just rained a couple days ago here in central Texas. The 29" wheels gave me so more much confidence to go over/through obstacles like never before. The suspension was amazing! I love how with the flip of a lever, I can set the front fork & rear shock to descend (soft), trail (medium) & climb (stiff). I wasn't aware of this but the shifters give you the option to use all thumb or thumb & forefinger. Amazing! I feel bad because it was just way too easy for me. My wife was left so far behind. Looks like I'm going to have to save for a 29er for her as well.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2014 Specialzed Camber Comp vs 2014 Trek Fuel Ex 7-dsc03158.jpg  


  24. #49
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    473
    Congratulations man! Great choice! Late to this thread but IMO the Trek wins hands down. Far superior component spec. A buddy of mine has the Fuel Ex 7 and it is a really nice ride. I must say I also prefer the blue/white color scheme of your bike vs the more common green/black.

    You DEFINITELY made the right chice!

  25. #50
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Primalspy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    47
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi_GR_Biker View Post
    Congratulations man! Great choice! Late to this thread but IMO the Trek wins hands down. Far superior component spec. A buddy of mine has the Fuel Ex 7 and it is a really nice ride. I must say I also prefer the blue/white color scheme of your bike vs the more common green/black.

    You DEFINITELY made the right chice!
    Hello Kiwi! Thanks!
    The white forks are going to be a little harder to keep clean, that's for sure but yes, the color scheme is growing on me. I was originally going to get the Camber Comp in Red. Once I placed both the Camber Comp & the Fuel Ex 7 side by side, even with my little knowledge of what's good/better/best, I could easily tell that the design of the Trek was superior. I think that this bike should last me quite a while.
    Kind of interesting how the tires of a 29er have so much fewer revolutions than a 26er. They seem to spin much slower. I did notice that the steering isn't as nimble & quick as a 26er but it definitely rides smooth.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 24
    Last Post: 06-17-2014, 06:49 PM
  2. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-02-2014, 09:50 AM
  3. 2014 camber evo 29 vs 2014 stumpjumper fsr comp 29
    By trevor_b in forum Specialized
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 03-14-2014, 06:13 AM
  4. Replies: 17
    Last Post: 02-13-2014, 03:42 PM
  5. 2014 Trek Fuel EX 5 vs 2014 Kona Precept DL
    By Cheesecakeslash in forum 29er Bikes
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-17-2013, 06:42 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •