mtbr member
    Jun 2014

2014 Specialized Epic WC - Does a 28T fit?

I was wondering if anyone had experience with putting a 28T front chainring on the new Specialized Epic WC. I know that the OEM cranks will hold only down to a 30T which I have installed. However, I have some pretty steep stuff where I live and wanted to see if I could go down to a 28T with RaceFace Next SL cranks with a direct mount 28T. I am worried that the chain will rub on that very thick chain stay as it is dangerously close with the 30T. Any input is much appreciated.

2014 Specialized Epic WC - Does a 28T fit?-screen-shot-2014-06-28-1.49.54-pm.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I had a Stumpjumper S-Works I converted to a 1X9 with a 30T up front, but not sure you could go with a 28. It was ok overall and made me a stronger rider, but there were times I missed my lower gears. I too now ride an Epic, and for me at least, if I needed to run smaller than a 30T up front on a 1X11 setup, I'd re-think my strategy and consider a 2X10. I totally understand you want to climb steep stuff, but with a 28 up front, it seems like it may be too much of a compromise on having enough gear for the flat stuff. I run the 2X10 on my Epic and have plenty of gear for the riding I do. 1X setups are super cool, I just am struggling to make the leap again without at least 11 out back. Let us know what you end up doing. Kinda curious!

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Thanks. Even with a 30T up front, I feel a little compromised on the flat stuff with the XX1. I must admit that I am getting more used to the 30 on all but the steepest of the steep. I also run a Stumpjumper HT with a SRAM XX 2x10 which I love and it has all of the gears I need. I also love the simplicity of the XX1.I will give it some time for some responses and post what I end up doing.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Smart to wait and really evaluate like you are doing. Living here in So-Cal, we too have a lot of steep climbs, and I can see it being a little much pushing even a 30T on some really steep stuff. But you do have the 42 out back right? That should help considerably.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Yep. 42 in back.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    The 28T is slightly smaller diameter than the 30T so it should get slightly more clearance on the chain stay.
    If you are putting 28T on a Next SL then you still can use spacers on the BB to adjust a little bit.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Anybody can confirm this is possible or not?

I exchanged the X01-style spider for an XX1 spider on another bike and it works perfectly, but I don't know about the Epic WC and its chain stay. Would love to be able to ride to full XX1 chainring set.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    I just ordered the RaceFace Next SL with 28T so we shall see soon enough. I will let you know.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    I've tried myself, in the meantime, and I confirm it works, albeit the clearance on the chain stay is slim (only about 2-3 mm) in the highest gear.

I haven't ridden it, however, as I'm normally riding a higher chainring and just wanted to find out if it is possible to use a 28 tooth in alpine terrain.

On descents, it will probably cause the chain to hit the chain stay regularly, but that's what the chain stay protector should take care of.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Thanks Vanguard. I will post once I have installed and used for a while as well