Trail Bomber
    Sep 2013

2014 Remedy 7 29er first thoughts....

--Disclaimer... first bike review--

I have had my superfly 100 al for a year or so, and for local XC it works very well! However, after riding it on some more aggressive terrain out of state, it became apparent the super fly is best suited to XC, not going down mountains (duh!). I needed (not really lol) a bike that i could travel with and really hit the big stuff hard and fast!

So starts the search for a new bike! Since there is really no real mountain / downhill sort of terrain where I live, I wanted a bike I could ride locally and still enjoy. I also wanted it to be able to conquer every sort of terrain besides maybe a ski resort. It seemed as though the 2013 bikes from all the manufacturers went 26in when you went beyond 130mm travel. I made the switch to 29ers a couple years ago and I really didn't desire to return to the 26in platform. I wanted to buy a bike that could be serviced locally, so my options were Trek, Specialized, Giant, Cannondale, KHS, Kona, or Scott. Another point was that I didn't really want to order a bike, and would rather touch/feel what I was buying... so IN STOCK was a big buying point. After tons of reading and looking, I had pretty much come up with a Trek Remedy, but having never ridden one I was pretty nervous about ordering one.

When Trek announced the Remedy 29er I was super excited! I talked to my local Trek dealer, and he mentioned he ordered a full size run of the Remedy 7.. which seemed a little unusual, but he knew I was looking. He showed me a Niner RIP 9 1 star, and after a test ride, i wasn't in love with it, not sure why. A couple months later (last Monday in fact), I happened to walk into the shop, and BAM there was a Remedy 7 29er in the row of bikes. They stuck my pedals on, and I went for a ride in the neighborhood where i knew a few pieces of sample terrain existed... and WOW it felt like a big squishy version of the super fly. 10 minutes later... my bank account suddenly became lighter.

A few initial thoughts on components:

1. SLX Shifters/Derailers: Snappy, fast shifts compared to the X7 equivalents on my Superfly. I like the rapid fire compared to the X7 thumbs. Only thing I don't like as I am changing down to the small chain ring for climbs it has gone too far and thrown the chain off.. but this is more of an adjustment thing.

2. Fox Evolution Float DRCV w/ CTD Shock: The DRCV does a great job of keeping the tail planted and just allowing me to ride hard and fast. The CTD is pretty awesome for the tough climbs and the fast hard decants.

3. RockShox Revelation RL Fork: It is easy to adjust and i like the motion lockout feature. It can get a little out of shape on fast bumpy descents when it reaches the end of its travel. I probably just need to tune it some more.

4. Shimano M596 Brakes: Not much to talk about here.. they stop the bike well. They are quiet so far and offer a good amount of modulation.

The rest of the bike is out the Bontrager parts box and as usual... they work well, just are a little heavy lol.. getting swapped.

First Ride (later on that day):

I left the Mino link in the slacker position, and set the air at 140lb Front and 180lb Rear.. tires at 28 lbs of air. A little stiffer than I have my superfly set to, but this is an XC course. I was surprised how fast I could ride the bike in the woods. Of course the steering is a little more effort nor as flickable as the super fly, but I was really hauling butt and it was super planted, and flew over all the roots, drops, and everything flawlessly. Then I clipped a tree... flew over the handlebars into another tree. Received some nice bruises on the shoulder, knees, and hips. Oh well... trudge on. We have some particularly nice drops towards the end of our trail system. I set the shock in descend mode, and proceeded to rail the drops OVER and OVER. It didn't matter how screwed up your line, or how far you over jump something on this bike. It basically just laughs at you and wants more! I came out the woods bruised, battered, and smiling. I guess thats what counts.

Second Ride:

Same woods, same bike, but the Mino link is now set to the tighter geometry, bars are cut 2 inches narrower, and I am running slightly higher tire pressure. The narrower bars require a little bit more input, but the bike feels more planted and quicker. Only 1 minute slower over the while loop (28min vs 27min complete loop 6 miles). Still very impressed how a slack all mountain rig can handle the tight XC we have.

Group Ride (ride 3):

Here comes the acid test... most of my buddies ride dedicated XC bikes (X-Cals, Epics, Superflys). I am normally the quicker ride.. but could I stay ahead of this on the monster rig? Yes... maybe because I knew they were back there.

All in all... very pleased after the first couple rides. The SLX drive train works really well, the brakes are crisp, the suspension is AMAZING off the bigger drops and still tight enough to romp through the woods. Very pleased.

New in store

My buddy at the bike shop doing final tuning before I left

The Superfly and the Remedy

I will try to get some go pro footage up soon!
    Last edited by teethandnails; 09-16-2013 at 03:36 PM.
    2014 Trek Remedy 7 29er + 150mm Pike
    2012 Specialized Status II + Boxxer World Cup

two wheel whore
    Nice first post. Copy & paste in the review section.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Thanks for the review. I'm currently debating between your other bike (2013 Superfly 100 AL) and one of the Fuel EX's (7,8,etc) I noticed the difference in weight riding them around a bit but felt like the 100 could hold up to what I normally ride even with the shorter travel. Any comparisons between those styles?

Trail Bomber
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclones30 View Post
    Thanks for the review. I'm currently debating between your other bike (2013 Superfly 100 AL) and one of the Fuel EX's (7,8,etc) I noticed the difference in weight riding them around a bit but felt like the 100 could hold up to what I normally ride even with the shorter travel. Any comparisons between those styles?
    My buddy got the Fuel EX7 29er the same time I got my Remedy. The Fuel is much plusher than the Superfly. It is however not quite as quick as the geometry is slightly slacker and the bike weighs slightly more. He rode my Superfly for a couple of weeks before getting his Fuel... so he has had seat time on both.

29ers Forever
    The Remedy is a SICK bike! I want one, but I think a Fuel EX would be better suited to the trails I ride.
    2013 Trek Cobia
    2013 Trek 3700 Disk
    2014 Trek Crossrip Elite
    2015 Raleigh Misceo- (for sale)
    1994 Cannondale R300

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by CannondaleF9 View Post
    The Remedy is a SICK bike! I want one, but I think a Fuel EX would be better suited to the trails I ride.
    Both The Remedy and the Fuel EX are great bikes. Choosing one over another comes down to personal choice and the trails you ride..
    Last edited by Max24; 3 Weeks Ago at 06:59 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Nice review. What size did you get in each bike? I am riding a 19 Superfly 100 AL and might go with the next size up on the Remedy to keep the fit / reach similar. I'm sure i could work on either the 19 or 21. BTW, I have a Kashima RP23, boost valve, adaptive logic shock for the SF100 that is now for sale if anyone is interested.

Trail Bomber
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by kdiddy View Post
    Nice review. What size did you get in each bike? I am riding a 19 Superfly 100 AL and might go with the next size up on the Remedy to keep the fit / reach similar. I'm sure i could work on either the 19 or 21. BTW, I have a Kashima RP23, boost valve, adaptive logic shock for the SF100 that is now for sale if anyone is interested.
    17.5 for both.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by teethandnails View Post
    My buddy got the Fuel EX7 29er the same time I got my Remedy. The Fuel is much plusher than the Superfly. It is however not quite as quick as the geometry is slightly slacker and the bike weighs slightly more. He rode my Superfly for a couple of weeks before getting his Fuel... so he has had seat time on both.
    I am trying to decide between the Fuel and the Remedy, have you compared the Remedy to your friends Fuel. Also how much of a difference to the Mino link change make? I tested both the Fuel and Remedy (Lower geometry) and not sure which one I like. I wonder if the Mino link gets your almost back to the responsiveness of the Fuel in the Higher position?

Trail Bomber
    Sep 2013
    Update:

I have since moved to the Colorado front range in November 2013, and having had the bike here a year and a few months I have made plenty of upgrades to the Remedy. While the stock components were fine for Louisiana; Colorado really outlined the weakness's of the the bikes stock build. Here is a list of modifications I have made to the bike and why:

1.Rockshox Pike RCT3: $1100 After getting a taste of the Pike riding a buddies Enduro 29er, I knew I needed one. In every sense of the word, the Pike is better than the Revelation. Its more supple, offers much improved small bump compliance, doesn't blow through its travel, and offers the additional compression adjustment. Best money spent on the bike in my opinion.

2. Rockshox Monarch RT3 Debonair: $395.00 Something broke inside my Fox Float last August... basically making it a paper weight. Rather than spend the money buying another one, I decided to try the new Remedy fitment Monarch Debonair. WOW... I didn't know what I was missing. This shock does NOT require much tuning, just set the air 40-50psi more than your body weight, set the rebound, set the compression switch in the middle and off you go. The shock basically removed almost all the pedal bob out of the suspension while descending and climbing and takes harder hits and drops without complaint. Combined with the Pike my suspension is miles better than stock.

3. 1x10 SRAM Drive train: The bike came equipped with Deore drive train with a front and rear SLX derailleur. I swapped to a XT shifter, and went 1x10 w/ a 42t cog / 30t front cog last year. It was a good upgrade as far as saving weight and adding simplicity. I was constantly adjusting the shifter cables and rear derailleur to keep it shifting somewhat smooth. In the end, last week I ditched all the Shimano stuff for SRAM X9 shifter, X9 type 2 Derailleur, PG1050 cassette, One Up 42t & 16t rear cogs, 32t raceface narrow wide. I havn't ridden with the SRAM setup yet, but just pedaling around, I can already tell its going to be a much smoother setup. It does not require any sort of lower cage or high bead tension adjustment to shift properly.

4. Rockshox Reverb Stealth Dropper: All I can say about this, is that I have a love/hate relationship with this post. Dropper posts have changes the way I ride for sure. You can power up to the top, and then slam it down and lower you center of gravity, therefore riding faster. Also, when riding down steep technical rocks, you can get way behind the seat without getting stuck behind it. All sounds gravy if it works correctly. Mine has been warrantied 3 times since last February. It had completely broke during a 15 mile ride before and been stuck in the low position or the high position before. I now have the "newest" generation of the Reverb, so I am hoping it holds up better.

All in all... I cannot fault the Remedy anywhere. Its a sold DH weapon that climbs very well. Its plush, handles quickly, and is hands down the best bike i've ever owned. After a year and 3000 miles of trail on it... I would totally recommend this bike.

bike check link: Trek Remedy 7 29er - teethandnails's Bike Check - Vital MTB