mtbr member

2014 Hei Hei deluxe opinions wanted

Hi Guys,

Been lurking for a while but just joined the forums this morning and this is my first post. I'm currently riding a 29er hardtail for everything but have decided it's time add a full suspension ride.

I've had my eyes on the 2014 Kona Hei Hei deluxe for a while now. My LBS is closing out the 2014 models and they are discounting this bike heavily (basically a 4K bike for 3K). There's not many reviews out there for the Kona's and I rarely see them on the trails so I was wondering if any of you have any first hand experience with this bike and if you could please share your thoughts.

I live in So Cal in the Castaic/Valencia area. I'm looking for a do it all type of bike, everything from fireroads & singletrack & some blacktop commuting also. Most of my rides are fire road type climbs usually long and steep with flowy single track descents. Not super technical but some small air and drops and some rock gardens and lots of choppy braking bumps. I'm looking for a bike that is fast and climbs well and is reasonably fun on the descents. Would like to keep it in the 3-4K price range.

I have demoed a couple other bikes being a Pivot Mach429C(didn't wow me enough to justify the 6K price tag) and also the Giant Anthem X1 29er(liked it but somewhat leery of the frame and I was on the wrong size bike). Unfortunately I will not be able to trail test the Hei Hei and will be limited to a parking lot tour.

Based on the above info do you guys think the Hei Hei deluxe would fit the bill or should I be looking elsewhere?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    You are probably riding an aluminum hardtail that handles your terrain but leaves you beat up.
    You have a better choice than to go fs.
    Read the reviews on Trek's site for the Superfly 9.6,7 and 8.

Here's one--
    "Using this as my primary bike for training, racing and recreational riding in 2013. Have used this for everything from sport distance XC races up to 100k distance marathon events and it's been a really great all around bike. Climbs like a mountain goat and descends really well for being a hardtail. 29in wheels roll really well. Even took it out west and road some enduro type downhill trails with great success.

It's a great frame with a good spec that can be easily upgraded.

Liked it so much I ended up selling my full suspension trail bike because it was just collecting dust."

The engineered compliance adds all the comfort your ht lacks.
    The carbon frame is also light. It lacks the complexity and maintenance expense of a fs.
    The compliance maintains grip when climbing.
    You can add to the cushion and grip with the added volume from a wide wheelset(30mm inside).
    Wides give you more sidewall support for stronger cornering.

I'm on a 9.8 with Wide Lightnings. I got take-off credit for the oem set.
    With my seat and post I'm at 22 lbs.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I've had a Kona Hei Hei, the suspension design is very solid. Frame was stiff and climbed well. On the descents, the bike was smooth. The suspension feels like it has more than the numbers say. If you can get the bike for 3k, I agree it would be worth it. I rode the Kona for 2 years before buying a Tallboy due to the frame size being just a little small for me.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the reply jjkuhn. I was able to ride the bike yesterday for about 15 minutes and it felt very good. Good fit for me and very comfortable. I also ran across someone on my local trails riding a hei hei this evening and his input was almost identical to yours (not to mention he passed me on the descent). If all goes well I will pick the bike up on Sunday.

mtbr member

2014 Hei Hei deluxe opinions wanted

Pivot 429c didn't work out? Nahhhh!!