mtbr member
    Jul 2011

2013 Trek Superfly 100 AL Pro headset question

Ok... I have owned the subject bike for about 6 months. I really like the way it climbs... but the front end has never seemed to be just right for me. I have come to the conclusion that the 71 degree head angle is too steep. The bike steers to quickly, it's twitchy, and it is not as stable as other bikes I have ridden with a slacker head angle. To compensate, I'm running a high pressure in my forks to keep it higher in the stroke and I have reduced pressure in my shock. This has provided some benefit, but it is the wrong way to fix the problem.

I have seen that Cane Creek makes an AngleSet headset that will give me up to 1.5 degrees less head angle. However, I don't know how to tell which version to get.

I texted the Cane Creek guy who told me he doesn't have the 2013 Trek specs, but if my headtube inside diameter is 44 to and 56 bottom, then the ZS44/EC/56/40 model will work. Problem is... I don't have Trek specs either.

Questions:
    1) Will the above headset work?
    2) Is this a smart or a dumb thing to do?
    3) Will the slacker head angle lower my front end too much?
    4) Has anyone tried this with any success?
    5) Is there a better choice for a headset than the Cane Creek?

I'm eager for input.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Wow... No one has any input??

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    To make the head angle slacker, you will have to raise the front end with the same fork length. The issue you might find is that it messes the 'trail', which makes the bike steer weirdly or flop rather than turn......that you will only know once you get there. Also this will tend to mess with the climbing a bit too - Trek has some proprietary measurements/angles to get the bike to be quickish in the singletrack but still stable.

What other bikes have you had that handled better....not all bikes work with everyone and it just may be that the Genius geometry doesn't work for you. Personally I find the bike on the slowish and stable side, but I came from a Merida 96 which was razor sharp.
    Rimmer - "There's an old human saying - if you talk garbage, expect pain"

I hate that name.
    1. 44/56 is the right size.
    2. I wouldn't say dumb... just unconventional.
    3. If you use the angleset to slacken the head angle, it will lower the bb height, steepen the seat angle, and shorten the effective toptube and chainstay length, but only by millimeters- the difference would be negligible imo.
    4. No idea.
    5. Cane Creek makes some very nice headsets. Never used an angleset, so I can't comment on that.
    Worked at Trek/Fisher dealer 2008-2013. Only a little biased.

Zaf
    mtbr member
    There was a guy down in the Trek forums from the company recently explaining the HT angles and such. He said that the Superfly 100's are built steeper because they slacken on sag.

Gary Fisher spent a while tuning in the Superfly's geometry, personally I'd be hesitant to change that out without experimenting with other things first. Although there are plenty people who have switched forks out to non G2's, etc. (the head tube adjustment is new to me) it will change the character of the bike, but it might change it to a character you won't like.

In my personal experience, although I'm not running the Superfly 100, but the Hardtail, slamming my stem did wonders for my ride position and how the bike felt in corners. I'm not saying that dropping your handlebars lower will fix your problem, but the small cockpit change made the world of difference to my position on the bike, and because of that I found its handling increased.

Have you tried running a longer stem/wider handlebars?
    Is the handling more twitchy at low speeds or high speeds (or just the same twicth all 'round)?
    Which other bikes did you prefer the handling of?
    Yeti SB66a - 2013
    Trek Fuel EX 9 - 2012
    Trek Superfly Elite AL - 2013