mtbr member
    Mar 2013

New question here. 2013 Trek Superfly 100 AL Elite vs AL Pro - is the cost difference worth it?

I'm planning to purchase a new FS bike, and one of the options which I'm seriously considering is the 2013 Trek Superfly 100 - but I'm trying to understand the benefits/difference between these two models, and if the $ difference is justifiable.

My riding:
    • I ride flowing/fast & twisty and technical single track, with rock gardens/tree roots and small 2-3 foot drops.
    • Mostly riding just for run. I don't race, but might do some 'casual' racing in the future.
    • I am interested in having a light-ish setup, but I'm not counting the grams, and not prepared to pay a premium to shave a minimal amount of weight (as i'm not a hard core racer, so not necessary). A Lighter setup is about enjoying my ride more, getting less fatigued and keeping up with other people I ride with.
    • I'll be riding this next bike for the next 4-5 years most likely

My preference is to spend a little more $$ upfront, than to buy a bike with plans to upgrade over time.
    However, I am willing to consider a point of sale upgrade, for example: it might be better to consider purchasing the Elite, and to upgrade just the wheel set at the time of purchase? (if this is better than the Pro). That said, I'd only consider a simple upgrade like this where I could work out a deal with the LBS at the point of sale - not looking to upgrade several components.

I want to avoid this thread becoming a list of suggestions for other bikes that I should consider - so can we please focus on advice/experience relating to the difference between these two models

I've listed the key difference here with the difference shown in blue and some comments of mine in green. Any comments or suggestions would be very helpful.

(prices shown here are in Australian dollars)

TREK SUPERLY
    100 AL Elite (AU$2,799) 100 AL pro (AU$3,750)
    FRAMESET
    Frame Alpha Platinum Aluminum main frame & stays w/ABP Convert, magnesium swing link, G2 Geometry, E2 tapered head tube, replaceable derailleur hanger, 110mm travel Alpha Platinum Aluminum main frame & stays w/ABP Convert, Flow Mold Carbon swing link, G2 Geometry, E2 tapered head tube, replaceable derailleur hanger, 110mm travel
    Assume that their is a minor weight advantage here
    Front Suspension Fox Evolution Series 32 Float w/CTD (climb-trail-descend) damper, rebound, E2 Tapered steerer, 15QR thru axle, custom G2 Geometry w/51mm offset crown, 100mm travel Fox Performance Series 32 Float w/CTD (climb-trail-descend) damper, rebound, E2 tapered steerer, 15QR thru axle, custom G2 Geometry w/51mm offset, 100mm travel
    Not sure what the difference here is?
    Rear Suspension Fox Evolution Series Float w/CTD (climb-trail-descend) damper, rebound, tuned by Trek in California, 7.25x1.75
    RP2 = pro pedal either on or off
    Fox Performance Series Float w/CTD (climb-trail-descend) damper, rebound, tuned by Trek in California
    RP23 = pro pedal level 1, 2, or 3 or off. Doesn't seem to be a particularily useful setting.
    WHEELS
    Wheels Bontrager Sealed Cartridge Bearing Alloy Hubset w/15QR front hub; Bontrager Mustang Disc 29 rims, Tubeless Ready
    Bontrager Race Lite TLR Disc 29 wheel system, 15mm FCC front hub, 142x12mm rear hub, 28 hole, Tubeless Ready
    Is this wheel difference significant? I've stuggled to find information on these
    Tires Bontrager 29-1 Expert, 29x2.2" Bontrager 29-1 Team, 29x2.2"
    DRIVETRAIN
    Shifters Shimano SLX M660-10, 10 speed (924g)
    Shimano Deore XT M780, 10 speed
    Front Derailleur Shimano SLX, direct mount Shimano Deore XT, direct mount
    Rear Derailleur Shimano Deore XT M780 Shadow Shimano Deore XT M780 Shadow
    Crank Shimano M552, 42/32/24
    Shimano Deore XT M785, 38/26
    Bottom Bracket Shimano press fit Shimano press fit
    Cassette Shimano HG62-10 11-36, 10 speed
    Shimano SLX HG81-10 11-36, 10 speed
    Pedals n/a n/a
    COMPONENTS
    Saddle Bontrager Evoke 2, chromoly rails
    Bontrager Evoke 3, titanium rails
    very similar from what I can tell.
    Seat Post Bontrager Rhythm Elite, 31.6mm, zero offset Bontrager Rhythm Elite, 31.6mm, zero offset
    Handlebars Bontrager Race Lite Low Riser, 31.8mm, 5mm rise, 9 degree sweep Bontrager Race Lite Low Riser, 31.8mm, 5mm rise, 9 degree sweep
    Stem Bontrager Race Lite, 31.8mm Bontrager Race X Lite, 31.8mm
    Grips Bontrager Race Lite, lock-on Bontrager Race Lite, lock-on
    Headset FSA NO.57, E2, ACB sealed bearings FSA NO.57E, E2, ACB sealed bearings
    Brakeset Shimano M666 SLX hydraulic disc brakes
    Shimano Deore XT M785 hydraulic disc brakes (not significantly better. Very slightly lighter?, shiny finish, and have a bite adjustment that is apparently not that useful), otherwise they are the same shape, size and both use the ice tech.
    Extras Trek fork & shock sag meter, Bontrager shock pump Trek fork & shock sag meter, Bontrager shock pump
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2013 Trek Superfly 100 AL Elite vs AL Pro - is the cost difference worth it?-trek-superfly-100-comparison.png  

davidcarson48

Re: 2013 Trek Superfly 100 AL Elite vs AL Pro - is the cost difference worth it?

Lots of info to go through...however 2x10 is just awesome. I wouldn't consider a 3x bike at this point at all. But that's me. Other than that, the differences don't seem very significant if those are the current generation SLX brakes and not the last generation.

I'd rather be riding
    I think the wheelset upgrade is worth it, in addition to the added on xt parts.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    The wheelset upgrade will be great plus the advantage of the thru axle in the rear.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by davidcarson48 View Post
    Lots of info to go through...however 2x10 is just awesome. I wouldn't consider a 3x bike at this point at all. But that's me. Other than that, the differences don't seem very significant if those are the current generation SLX brakes and not the last generation.
    I'm new to the world of 29ers - but is there a significant difference in the gearing with a 29er (and therefore, more benefit with a 2x10?). Otherwise, what is the main difference between 3x10 and 2x10? is it just about more clearance and some weight savings, or are there other differences?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Yep....thru axle is worth its weight in gold.
    Basic wheels on the elite are boat anchors too. I got the same build in the Superfly carbon and my wheelset saved me 1kg over the stock item.

Forks/shock also has significant weight loss. The basic Fox is deceptively heavy....about 2kg when I took mine off.
    Other small items like bars/stem etc can save lots of weight too, and soak up trail chatter with more advanced materials.
    Rimmer - "There's an old human saying - if you talk garbage, expect pain"

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by zippinveedub View Post
    I think the wheelset upgrade is worth it, in addition to the added on xt parts.
    I struggled to find info about these wheelsets. Do you know what the main differences are?

davidcarson48

Re: 2013 Trek Superfly 100 AL Elite vs AL Pro - is the cost difference worth it?

Quote Originally Posted by gearu View Post
    I'm new to the world of 29ers - but is there a significant difference in the gearing with a 29er (and therefore, more benefit with a 2x10?). Otherwise, what is the main difference between 3x10 and 2x10? is it just about more clearance and some weight savings, or are there other differences?
    No, it's not a weight thing or clearance thing. It just seems more intuitive with less gear overlap. It's everything you need and nothing you don't with a better chainline and much better front shifting. Demo one and you'll see.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexRandall View Post
    Yep....thru axle is worth its weight in gold.
    Basic wheels on the elite are boat anchors too. I got the same build in the Superfly carbon and my wheelset saved me 1kg over the stock item.

Forks/shock also has significant weight loss. The basic Fox is deceptively heavy....about 2kg when I took mine off.
    Other small items like bars/stem etc can save lots of weight too, and soak up trail chatter with more advanced materials.
    Between the AL Elite and AL Pro, there is no difference between the bars/stem etc. So it looks like the key differences here are weight savings across the shocks, wheel set and a few advantages with the thru axle and the 2x10 crank?

mtbr member
    Jan 2003
    I'll let you know asap. I pick up this bad boy on Friday....just waiting on my Pedals to come in, and he has to put my Grips on and some small stuff.

Bike shop set it up Tubeless out of the gate for me, used the Bontrager kit, sealed right up. I'm excited, haven't had a Full Squish bike since my Intense 5.5, traded that in on a 29er and never looked back.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2013 Trek Superfly 100 AL Elite vs AL Pro - is the cost difference worth it?-img_0223.jpg  

Climbing Builds Character

mtbr member
    Jan 2003
    So picked up my new 100 AL Elite. It's pretty damn nice, I have no complaints about it at all. Comes with nice Sag Guages, and a Shock pump, I'll put a pic up later tonight with the pedals and stuff on it....orange Crank Bros Pedals really fit with the paint scheme. But more importantly I rode it, and put it through it's paces tonight, and I'll list the things that stood out to me....a guy who has been on a hard tail the past 5 years.

Plush Suspension, after airing up and setting the sag where it is "Recommended to be" the first thing I noticed was....Oh so that's what Suspension feels like....it's been a while 5 years since I had my Intense 5.5

Shifting was the next thing I noticed. Now I have a Lynskey Pro 29 with all XT, and I will say that the SLX shifters, with XT Rear Derailleur, shift every bit as good as my XT stuff. So yet again I was pleased.

And the last thing I took away with surprise was the ability for me to be able to climb with this bike....not as crisp as the Lynskey, but that's a HT, but this thing really took off when you put the power down. I was really surprised by this.

So overall I'm excited. Now for your question is the upgrade bike worth the xtra cash? I mean that's a question you have to answer yourself. But I have a high high end bike already, and to tell you the truth, I'm not disappointed in the cheaper AL Elite. I guess if you race, maybe the little bit lighter bike will make the difference. But I don't know, sure 2x10 is nice, but really 3x10 is just as nice, and if you don't every use the big ring put a bash on it. Also what I always keep in mind is, if you ride a good bit, you are going to wear out Cassettes, Chains, Rings, derailleurs, so...when this happens I'll upgrade the parts. I'm quite impressed by the performance of the XT/SLX set up....the brakes are bad ass, and confidence inspiring.

But in the end it's a personal question, I wish you luck, I don't think you can go wrong with either choice. I'm damn happy with mine, I know you'll be happy with yours.

Keep Crankin!! and Good Luck
    Climbing Builds Character

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Spend the grand up front. You are getting significant upgrades for the cost. I ride a 2013 100 elite sl.

You are getting a lighter stem, seat, wheel set, swing link and gearing.
    The thru axles are a huge upgrade in terms of bike feel. The cost of upgrading to these options after the fact or after the first parts wear will cost much more. The 2013 rl wheel set is 1650 grams and pretty great for a stock set. The xt gear is not much better performing than slx but it is 2x10 and a worthwhile upgrade for the 29inch bikes. Differences between the evo and performance shocks is listed on fox's website. However as listed on the trek US website only the rear shock is different.

Regardless of people's opinions here, you will not know what and why it is better until you ride the options back to back after they both have some wear.

Get the best bike that you can afford and you will never worry if you made the right choice because the bike will be awesome!
    Last edited by baltistyle; 03-25-2013 at 09:11 AM. Reason: meant rl and not dxl on the weight of the wheel set.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I have a superfly 100 AL that came with the bontrager Mustang wheels. I swapped them out for a set of OEM RXL's take-offs that the shop had on hand and I couldn't be happier! The difference was huge - I put around 40 miles on the bike before the change and the upgrade was very evident. Great wheelset!

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    The general consensus here seems to be that the extra cost between the Elite and the pro is worth it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    ^ I agree.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Hi all
    New to this forum.
    I should get my AL Pro later this week. Been riding a 2009 Fuel EX8. Hope to race a couple more Xterra events this year.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014

Same dilemma...

I'm actually trying to narrow down between a: Superfly al Pro, Giant Anthem or Giant Trance--it's a tough one. I've only ridden the SF but liked the handling. However, simply sitting on the other two felt different but both were more comfortable then the SF. Problem is, the SF Pro is full XT and at an amazing closeout price. Any thoughts? The Fuel EX 8 was/is also in the mix.

Much thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by buildflycrash View Post
    Hi all
    New to this forum.
    I should get my AL Pro later this week. Been riding a 2009 Fuel EX8. Hope to race a couple more Xterra events this year.