Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2013

2013 trek Stache or 2013 stumpy evo HELP ME DEICIDE

I test rode both bike today I enjoyed both of them a lot. Stache was a little more laid bike as the stump evo was more leaned forward with a more aggressive stance. I like both views the bike has to offer, so for the money what do you guys think?

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I have ridden the Stache and it is a great bike. Never rode the SJ but I do believe it is more race oriented (more than just the cockpit). Both are a really nice packages but if you are not racing I would go Stache. There is a thread on the spec section dedicated to the sj evo. It seems those guys that buy them are XC guys possibly racers that ride mostly tight non technical trails.
    2014 Niner RIP 9
    Full XT
    Rock Shox Pike 140
    Roval Control Carbon

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Well im biased for sure cause I own a pimped out stache 8 but damn, you wanna talk about a fricken fun bik?!?...if you don't race and like to get aggressive, then the stache is a great choice.

I just got back from bombing dh at carvins cove in Roanoke, VA and the bike was rippin. Had more fun on the stache than my sc blur or sc tallboy. It climbs great and descends even better!

mtbr member
    How do you ride/want to ride? Answer that first and then we can help you.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Im wanting a light weight bike that can turn really well and be able to go over roots logs and also jumps with ease, when i say jumps i mean no more then 5 foot doubles and table tops. In Houston the trails do not have any major steep climbs or descends, there are a lot of roots though witch all come down to line choice but id like to know witch bike would give me that edge, and im mainly all for going fast and having a good time.

mtbr member
    Stache. Love the frame geometry. Great bang for the buck.

mtbr member
    Seems like the Stache fits well then.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by THOWEDMODE2323 View Post
    Im wanting a light weight bike that can turn really well and be able to go over roots logs and also jumps with ease, when i say jumps i mean no more then 5 foot doubles and table tops. In Houston the trails do not have any major steep climbs or descends, there are a lot of roots though witch all come down to line choice but id like to know witch bike would give me that edge, and im mainly all for going fast and having a good time.
    Seems like the stache is the no brainer then (at least between the two choices you're comparing)...you'll want to shorten the stem and get a dropper post if you're wanting to get aggressive especially if airing it out. However, something like a kona honzo might be better with shorter stays and a 1x10 drivetrain.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by setransou View Post
    Seems like the stache is the no brainer then (at least between the two choices you're comparing)...you'll want to shorten the stem and get a dropper post if you're wanting to get aggressive especially if airing it out. However, something like a kona honzo might be better with shorter stays and a 1x10 drivetrain.
    I have to stick with either Trek or Specialized because of the discount I am able to receive. I don't want to loose speed also by going with the Stache, so thats why this is a hard choice. When I'm out riding with the friends we are always trying to one up each other and seeing who can make the trail faster, and when we are tired we are airing it out.

mtbr member
    A hardtale vs a full suspension ??

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by ccaddy View Post
    A hardtale vs a full suspension ??
    no both hardtale stache 8 vs stumpjumper evo HT

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Funny everytime someone talks about the stache someone always chimes in with the Honzo or Mason.
    2014 Niner RIP 9
    Full XT
    Rock Shox Pike 140
    Roval Control Carbon

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by stygz1 View Post
    Funny everytime someone talks about the stache someone always chimes in with the Honzo or Mason.
    That is because those 2 models are designed for a longer travel fork, where as the Stache is just a regular frame with longer fork put on. If you put a 100mm fork on it the geo numbers are identical to any other Trek HT.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Flucod View Post
    That is because those 2 models are designed for a longer travel fork, where as the Stache is just a regular frame with longer fork put on. If you put a 100mm fork on it the geo numbers are identical to any other Trek HT.
    Look again. The geo on the superfly is steeper than the stache. You also have internal cable routing w/ routing for dropper post. The frame is acually alot different on the stache than the superfly. Look in person at the rear triangle and seat tube, there is alot of changes to the frame. The stache is designed for a 120 fork just a different approch than the honzo or mason. They are quite abit different bikes read the latest dirt rag. They have all those bikes compared in that issue
    2014 Niner RIP 9
    Full XT
    Rock Shox Pike 140
    Roval Control Carbon

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I have to stick with either Trek or Specialized because of the discount I am able to receive. I don't want to loose speed also by going with the Stache, so thats why this is a hard choice. When I'm out riding with the friends we are always trying to one up each other and seeing who can make the trail faster, and when we are tired we are airing it out.
    Lord...just get a bike and ride.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I mentioned it cause he says he wants to "air it out"...but I know what you mean given some of the comments on other forum threads we've been on...

The guy needs to decide: a) does he want a race bike or b) does he want a trail bike

mtbr member
    Look again. The geo on the superfly is steeper than the stache. You also have internal cable routing w/ routing for dropper post. The frame is acually alot different on the stache than the superfly. Look in person at the rear triangle and seat tube, there is alot of changes to the frame. The stache is designed for a 120 fork just a different approch than the honzo or mason. They are quite abit different bikes read the latest dirt rag. They have all those bikes compared in that issue
    No kidding they list the geo different, if you ran a 100mm fork on the Stache the geo is IDENTICAL! It has less head angle because it has a 120mm fork. BB is 1/2" higher, hmmm. You put a 120mm fork on the Superfly and the HA ,SA, BB are all the same. Do you think Dirt Rag is going to call that out? All magazines reviews are paid advertisements. I am not saying it is a bad ride, just saying the other 2 bikes mentioned are superior.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    No kidding they list the geo different, if you ran a 100mm fork on the Stache the geo is IDENTICAL! It has less head angle because it has a 120mm fork. BB is 1/2" higher, hmmm. You put a 120mm fork on the Superfly and the HA ,SA, BB are all the same. Do you think Dirt Rag is going to call that out? All magazines reviews are paid advertisements. I am not saying it is a bad ride, just saying the other 2 bikes mentioned are superior.
    You make some interesting points and were doing well until that last sentence. Your asserting the superiority of the kona or DB bikes is completely subjective. To base a bikes superiority on its geo makes you sound like some of the wanna-be armchair bike designers on pinkbike, nsmb, mtbr etc...

I'm glad that all the bike companies are innovating and making these incredible rides. Any one of the bikes mentioned would be a great ride and when you sort out the details, each has its pros and cons. Which is best depends on a lot of variables and the personal preferences of each individual rider but to preach that one is better than the other is just an ignorant comment.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by setransou View Post
    You make some interesting points and were doing well until that last sentence. Your asserting the superiority of the kona or DB bikes is completely subjective. To base a bikes superiority on its geo makes you sound like some of the wanna-be armchair bike designers on pinkbike, nsmb, mtbr etc...

I'm glad that all the bike companies are innovating and making these incredible rides. Any one of the bikes mentioned would be a great ride and when you sort out the details, each has its pros and cons. Which is best depends on a lot of variables and the personal preferences of each individual rider but to preach that one is better than the other is just an ignorant comment.

Not really. The other 2 bikes were designed for a longer travel fork. The Trek is just there normal geo bike with a 120mm fork on it. I can lift up a Prius with 33" tires and call it a Monster Truck. Somehow I do not think it would be as productive as a vehicle specifically designed to be one.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Well at this point I still cant decide what Is best for me. Wanting the speed and the trial bike kind of feel seem to be irrelevant between the two.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    The Top tube is also shorter on the stache vs the Superfly. That also changes the headtube angle. Also the down tube is not gusseted on the superfly. Seat tube is shorter on the Stache. Not to mention my statement about the seat tube and rear triangle/chain stays being alot different, not by measurement but by shape/construction. So actually it is quite a bit different frame.

I really dont think Dirt Rag is in the same league as Mountain bike action. If you actually read the article it was well written and not a subjective perspective.

When you say superior do you mean for the OP or better bike?
    Last edited by stygz1; 03-25-2013 at 07:25 AM.
    2014 Niner RIP 9
    Full XT
    Rock Shox Pike 140
    Roval Control Carbon

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Well at this point I still cant decide what Is best for me. Wanting the speed and the trial bike kind of feel seem to be irrelevant between the two.

If I were doing 5ft doubles I would not want a race bike. What draws you to the SJ?
    2014 Niner RIP 9
    Full XT
    Rock Shox Pike 140
    Roval Control Carbon

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Not really. The other 2 bikes were designed for a longer travel fork. The Trek is just there normal geo bike with a 120mm fork on it. I can lift up a Prius with 33" tires and call it a Monster Truck. Somehow I do not think it would be as productive as a vehicle specifically designed to be one.
    At no point has Trek marketed the Stache as an all mountain bike or a freeride bike.

Just a Trail bike
    2014 Niner RIP 9
    Full XT
    Rock Shox Pike 140
    Roval Control Carbon

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    If I were doing 5ft doubles I would not want a race bike. What draws you to the SJ?
    I like the brakes on the Evo and the simple 1x10 on it at as well. It's just hard to tell witch I like because I only test rode both bikes in the parking lot

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Again, your comments are based on your own personal preferences. Having ridden both the honzo and the stache they both have their pros and cons. It all depends on the individual rider and what their needs are and their riding style. Any comment for one being better that the other is completely subjective. You sound like a fanboy...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast