Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

2013 Titus Carbon Rockstar

Was able to build it up yesterday, initial "down the street and around the park" test ride tells me its much stiffer laterally then the aluminum version, the feel of carbon over rough ground is far superior to that of aluminum. This is my first carbon frames MTB, it came in a 25.66 lbs minus the front derailleur, I ordered the wrong direct mount, should be just below 26 lbs with the front mech installed. Not bad for a large framed 29 with decent tires. Speaking of tires, the Michelin Wild Race'R's seem pretty nice, tons of volume, the 2.1 rear is smack at 2.1" and the 2.25 front is actually 2.3". Everything went together really well except for having to pull apart the rear brake line to thread it up into the frame, kinda a PIA because I would not have had to shorten the line otherwise but now it is a very clean look. Hope brakes are ridiculously easy to bleed, so much easier then avids. Here are the build specs:
    2013 Titus Carbon Rockstar (large)
    2013 Rock Shox SID RCT3
    FSA C40 headset
    Truvativ AKA 80mm stem
    Easton Carbon Haven 711mm
    Truvativ T40 aluminum zero setback
    WTB Silverado
    SRAM XO gripshift
    SRAM XO 170mm cranks w/ 24/38/Bash
    Shimano XT pedals
    Shimano XT 11-36 cassette
    SRAM X9 medium cage derailleur
    SRAM XO High direct mount front derailleur
    KMC 10SL chain
    Hope Tech Evo stealth w/ floating rotors 160 rear/183 front
    American Classic MTB 29 wheels
    Michelin Wild Race"R 2.1" rear, 2.25" front tubeless with CafeLatex
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2013 Titus Carbon Rockstar-p1050364.jpg  

2013 Titus Carbon Rockstar-p1050371.jpg  

2013 Titus Carbon Rockstar-p1050368.jpg  

2013 Titus Carbon Rockstar-p1050370.jpg  

2013 Titus Carbon Rockstar-p1050366.jpg  

2013 Titus Carbon Rockstar-p1050365.jpg  

2013 Titus Carbon Rockstar-p1050367.jpg  

2013 Titus Carbon Rockstar-p1050369.jpg  

2013 Titus Carbon Rockstar-p1050372.jpg  

Last edited by craigstr; 07-17-2013 at 05:15 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    nice build. waiting for review

mtbr member
    What kind of clearance do you have with the 2.1 tire? How big a tire do you think it could take?

mtbr member
    A 2.35 should fit with no problems.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Quote Originally Posted by mojo722 View Post
    What kind of clearance do you have with the 2.1 tire? How big a tire do you think it could take?
    It is the same rearend as the alloy RS. I could fit and use a WTB Dissent 2.5 with no problems in both RS frames.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member

Finally got a ride in...WOW!

That's the one thing that keeps coming to mind...the other is HOLY F@*K this thing is fast! My first thoughts were how much more laterally stiff it was while climbing, it just wants to thrust forward, much stiffer then the aluminum version. The RT3 with full lockout and RS SID with lockout makes it even stiffer when you are on the flats but I did most of my climbing in the "pedal" mode on the shock, it just claws up loose, rocky trail. The shock seems a bit more compliant then the one on the AL version. When the trail turned down is when it really excelled. Carbon has a weird property, it soaks up all the vibration yet allows you to feel the trail. I found myself going scary fast. With the 10mm thru axle conversion on the American Classic wheels, I had no issues with the tire rubbing the chainstay, back end felt much stiffer then the AL version with CB wheels. I wouldnt change a thing on my component choices, the Hope brakes are the real deal, super quiet and strong. The XO gripshift is quick and natural. I was very impressed with the MIchelin RaceR tires, rolled well yet traction was not an issue.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2013 Titus Carbon Rockstar-p1050428.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by craigstr View Post
    That's the one thing that keeps coming to mind...the other is HOLY F@*K this thing is fast! My first thoughts were how much more laterally stiff it was while climbing, it just wants to thrust forward, much stiffer then the aluminum version. The RT3 with full lockout and RS SID with lockout makes it even stiffer when you are on the flats but I did most of my climbing in the "pedal" mode on the shock, it just claws up loose, rocky trail. The shock seems a bit more compliant then the one on the AL version. When the trail turned down is when it really excelled. Carbon has a weird property, it soaks up all the vibration yet allows you to feel the trail. I found myself going scary fast. With the 10mm thru axle conversion on the American Classic wheels, I had no issues with the tire rubbing the chainstay, back end felt much stiffer then the AL version with CB wheels. I wouldnt change a thing on my component choices, the Hope brakes are the real deal, super quiet and strong. The XO gripshift is quick and natural. I was very impressed with the MIchelin RaceR tires, rolled well yet traction was not an issue.
    The stiffness difference in the rearend is 100% the wheels. I used the same wheels in both versions with no noticeable difference. Never felt the need to use the platform/lockout setting on the shock, either.
    mtbtires.com

reading comprehension wat
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    It is the same rearend as the alloy RS. I could fit and use a WTB Dissent 2.5 with no problems in both RS frames.
    Shiggy, are WTB 29er 2.5 Dissents ginormous like the 26" versions are? Just curious, as you're using it as a standard and I've seen how big they are on 26"...

Quote Originally Posted by dv8xin View Post
    Shiggy, are WTB 29er 2.5 Dissents ginormous like the 26" versions are? Just curious, as you're using it as a standard and I've seen how big they are on 26"...
    Specs here: http://mtbtires.com/site2/tire-specs...ak-and-dissent

The Dissents just fit, on a 28mm rim, barely.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    i just check on the england page and i noted that we can order from theirs for $1300 with shipping incluided

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Nice build ! Have you had any issues with pedal strikes? BB is pretty low on this frame, and that is the only thing that concerns me with my build and weather I'll be truly satisfied with it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Also, what is the correct direct mount fd. I got the XT M786 2x10.

mtbr member
    BB height is pretty standard for a 100mm FS 29, I have not had one pedal strike and I live in Tahoe which is very rocky & rooty. That looks like the correct front derailleur. To answer your question from another thread, the "integrated" headset only means that the bearing cups are molded into the carbon frame, you still have to purchase the integrated headset which includes the bearings, crown race, & top cap. I went with the FSA CF 40
    Universal Cycles -- FSA Orbit CF-40 Carbon Headset

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Thanks for the info. I got the other headset you posted on one of these threads. I believe it's Cane Creek, but I'm not so sure if it comes with the top cap. Again, your build looks top notch!

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I saw a vid where the guy talks about having the frame correctly (nicely) faced for proper seating of the bb. Did you do this craig or is the frame all ready for the bb? Very important according to the video. Though you could inform me on this, since you're the only one with one of these frame builds.

mtbr member
    The video was on this frame in particular or all frames in general? I think for the most part you just have to make sure there is no paint on the flat surface the bearing cups sit up against and that there are no metal filings in the threads. My frame was good to go from the factory and my GXP BB went right in, in the four months I've been riding it, I have had no issues.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Vid said all frames in general, and the guy stated it was a shop job, being that the tool used was expensive. Just wondering, as it's my first build and I don't want to do anything wrong and have to have it redone. Thanks for your help. Bike looks real nice !

mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Just build my Rockstar

2013 Titus Carbon Rockstar-img_1265.jpg

Weight 12,03kg/ 26,5lb with frame size M (2,64kg/ 5,82lb)

First impressions: Feels light, fast, stiff and awesome to ride. Even here in Finland with rock gardens and never ending roots.

mtbr member
    Lookin' sweet. Any updates on frame durability, finish, quality control, etc on your bike Craig now that it's been a few more months?

With those frames listed at $1K right now (small and medium) on the Titus/OnOne site it's mighty tempting.... assuming they are up to snuff quality-wise.

I know you're a brand ambassador so need to be positive, but any insight would be helpful. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Krob, I've had zero issues. Been racing the crap out of it and love it. Paint is holding up very well, pivots are staying tight and quiet. What else could you ask for?
    Last edited by craigstr; 07-17-2013 at 05:18 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Another nice build. Looks good ! Give us feedback on the ride quality/frame quality if possible guys. I'm waiting on my fork to put this thing together. I feel like a kid right before Christmas...lol !!

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    First, sorry my bad english, but I'm trying my best.

I can put more feedback after I service my front fork. Cant get everything out of the bike before that, but feels very promising!

Thank you Craig for your pics, specs and all the information of the bike. It really helped me and encouraged to choose Titus, cause there are zero reviews and very little information of the bike available.

mtbr member
    That b/w frame with the easton rims and their large logos looks REALLY good!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by craigstr View Post
    What else could you ask for?
    A size large at $999?

mtbr member
    Yeah, I think they sold them all. The UK site says available for preorder at $1158, available in 48 hours. I'd give Michael Golinski a call in Portland, ask him when they will be available.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast