mtbr member
    Aug 2012

2013 Superfly 100 AL Pro Vs Elite SL/ $1500 for the frame upgrade! Thoughts?

Bike model comparison - Trek Bicycle

Check the link above. I was going to get the Elite SL for $1500 less I can get the same bike with an Aluminum Frame.

Can the $1500 be worth it in the Frame?

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Not to me at least. Carbon is gonna be lighter and stronger at different angles of force. However, you will prob not need or use the benefits unless you are a professional rider, or do a lot if pedalling. The difference is much more noticeable on road bikes, but no too much on mountain bikes.

Tony

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    The carbon gets a FIT damper and carbon bars as well.

Also, they are a bit of a different bike, the carbon has the new (I'm guessing more progressive) 100mm rear end, the alloy looks like it has the older 110mm rear end and a longer stroke shock. If I had to guess the Elite SL will be an easy 3lb lighter out of the box due to the combination of lighter frame, lighter shock, lighter fork and lighter bars. That's only about $1/gram, which is pretty dang economical if you care about grams.

http://brimages.bikeboardmedia.netdn...826-132703.jpg
    Actual weight on an SL at 23lb 12oz.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Gottcha, I'm still flip flopping daily as to what to do
    Last edited by ghostchili; 09-02-2012 at 12:15 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by ghostchili View Post
    Bike model comparison - Trek Bicycle

Check the link above. I was going to get the Elite SL for $1500 less I can get the same bike with an Aluminum Frame.

Can the $1500 be worth it in the Frame?
    I picked the Superfly 100 Elite Aluminum as well and used several of my parts from my hardtail to build it to my liking. It sits right at 26 pounds. My main reason for going with the Aluminum is that over the past couple of years they have had fewer problems with frame breakage.

I could go lighter with an lighter race day only wheelset but my Blunt SL wheelset is fairly light and seems to hold up well.

The color on the 2013 Elite Aluminum is amazing in person by the way.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger Pride View Post
    I picked the Superfly 100 Elite Aluminum as well and used several of my parts from my hardtail to build it to my liking. It sits right at 26 pounds. My main reason for going with the Aluminum is that over the past couple of years they have had fewer problems with frame breakage.

I could go lighter with an lighter race day only wheelset but my Blunt SL wheelset is fairly light and seems to hold up well.

The color on the 2013 Elite Aluminum is amazing in person by the way.
    So you got a 2013? If it's 26 pounds that would make it about 2.5 lbs heavier than the new carbon frame. I'm not sure I'll be able to justify the price increase for that.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by ghostchili View Post
    So you got a 2013? If it's 26 pounds that would make it about 2.5 lbs heavier than the new carbon frame. I'm not sure I'll be able to justify the price increase for that.
    Keep in mind it started out at just over 28 pounds. I dropped almost all the weight in wheels and tires. Probably a little with the switch out of components but mostly the wheels and tires. I then sold off the components I pulled off.

@trailgrinder
    I can speak on the durability of the carbon, I weigh over 200 lbs and switched from the aluminum to the carbon 2012 superfly 100 elite and don't think I will ever go back to aluminum. I have hammered my bike and the carbon stifness is excellent and gives a much better feel on the bike than I had on my aluminum. I was a little Leary after hearing all of the old stories of brokn carbon frames but I have broke two aluminum fames as well so the warrantee was more important for me. Boils down to money? If your willing or able to spend the cash for the carbon, you won't regret it one bit however if your teetering over the money build up an aluminum version and you will be happy as well.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger Pride View Post
    Keep in mind it started out at just over 28 pounds. I dropped almost all the weight in wheels and tires. Probably a little with the switch out of components but mostly the wheels and tires. I then sold off the components I pulled off.
    28lbs! wow how can the frame itself be that much more? according to this link the 2013 carbon 100 is 23lbs 12 oz. other than the handle bars the aluminum and the carbon are the same bike.

2013 Trek Bikes Actual Weights for Road & Mountain Bikes - Bike Rumor

Based on the link the Lush carbon seems light, granted it's a 15" frame.

mtbr member
    Um...we are speaking about trek carbon frames right???? Stick to the aluminum.

MANY threads on here about carbon frames from trek failing...

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Cool, post #1