Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • 2013 Stumpjumper Comp

9 81.82%
  • 2014 Crave Pro

2 18.18%
    mtbr member
    Apr 2006

2013 Stumpjumper Comp or 2014 Crave Pro ?

Good Morning,

Looking for a good all around mtn bike. I'm not a heavy off-road rider. I ride on road during the week on my lunch (work from home) for exercise, and on the weekends on trails, fire roads, etc. although I may look for a off-road club as we just moved to a new area (Wolcott, CT.)

I know I could get by with a much cheaper bike for the type of riding I do but I do sorta like nice stuff and a bike that doesn't weigh 30+lbs. I have scouted the LBS and they have a couple leftover 2013 Stumpjumper Comps for $2200. I had been on the Specialized site and was interested in the Early Launch 2014 Crave Pro for $2000. I understand the Stumpjumper is one line above the Carve/Crave line. With either bike I will likely swap the fork for the Spec Chisel rigid fork. The Stumpy is mostly all SRAM, the Carve a mix of SRAM & Shimano. Brakes are Magura for Stumpy vs. Shimano Deore. I know they improved the Crave frame for 2014 and it's $200 cheaper but I'm beginning to lean towards the Stumpjumper.

Anything else I should be considering ? And btw, I'm 5'10" @ 175lbs. 17.5" or 19" frame ? LBS has the Stumpy in both sizes but is recommending the 19" for me. I ride 56cm on a road bike.

mtbr member
    The geos on the two are different; the Stumpy is more agressive. The Stumpy's frame is a bit lighter. Looks like the wheel set on the Stumpy is a bit better and the tires are more racy. I would see if you could get the '13 Stumpy for under $2K..they will want to move it to make room for the the 2014s.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Yeah, I am hoping the LBS will negotiate on price a little... what were your thoughts on frame size ?

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    You're probably a 17.5" frame but ride them both and see how they fit.

mtbr member

I'm am inch taller than you (and a lot heavier &#128522 and the 17.5 inch stumpy was money for me. I'd definitely see if you can talk them down, I just bought a '13 stumpy fsr comp for a little less than that. I'm assuming you mean the HT, right?

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    @Skeeter, yes, HT.

mtbr member

Ok clicked on the link and you definitely mean the HT. talk em down, I think 2200 is about what they normally sell for, so you should get it a lot cheaper since its last years model now. As far as the bike goes, you'll love it. Nice and light, fast, the magura brakes are WAYYYY better than the avids they used to have. Great bike

mtbr member
    Size can't be determined on an internet forum - ride both, get what you think works.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    So what would be a realistic bargaining price to shoot for ? $2000 ? $1800 ?

mtbr member
    $1800 would be good to me...that is a bit less than 20% off. A lot of shops though don't move much as the margin aren't great on bikes. Can't hurt to ask. I just wouldn't pay full price for a 2013 when 2014s are hitting the floor

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    We just picked up a '13 Stumpjumper Comp for my wife. She loves it, and it's surprisingly light. The only downside are the S-brand tubeless rim strips, but $12 in Stan's tape should solve that issue. I'm also not sure why the front tire is 120tpi and the rear only 60, but again, it's an easy enough fix. We paid $1799 during a closeout sale... we're near Denver, but if it comes down to it, I'd guess a shop out here would ship to you for $100 or whatever. I can let you know the name of the place if that would interest you.

I can't comment too much on the '14 Carve other than she found the '13 to be too ugly, but the Stumpy seems to be a better buy, especially if you can get it at a discount. (Plus in satin black, it looks a hell of a lot better.)

Oh, as far as sizing is concerned, I'm 5'11-6' and have a 32" inseam and her 17.5 is probably what I'd get for myself. My wife is 5'8" with slightly longer legs than mine, and it fits her very well. The 15.5 was too small. I'm sure a large would work, but I tend to go smaller if I'm on the fence size-wise. But like everybody else said, have the shop fit you to the bike. It'll make a huge difference.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2013 Stumpjumper Comp or 2014  Crave Pro ?-stump_01.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pisgah2000 View Post
    We just picked up a '13 Stumpjumper Comp for my wife. She loves it, and it's surprisingly light. The only downside are the S-brand tubeless rim strips, but $12 in Stan's tape should solve that issue. I'm also not sure why the front tire is 120tpi and the rear only 60, but again, it's an easy enough fix. We paid $1799 during a closeout sale... we're near Denver, but if it comes down to it, I'd guess a shop out here would ship to you for $100 or whatever. I can let you know the name of the place if that would interest you.

I can't comment too much on the '14 Carve other than she found the '13 to be too ugly, but the Stumpy seems to be a better buy, especially if you can get it at a discount. (Plus in satin black, it looks a hell of a lot better.)

Oh, as far as sizing is concerned, I'm 5'11-6' and have a 32" inseam and her 17.5 is probably what I'd get for myself. My wife is 5'8" with slightly longer legs than mine, and it fits her very well. The 15.5 was too small. I'm sure a large would work, but I tend to go smaller if I'm on the fence size-wise. But like everybody else said, have the shop fit you to the bike. It'll make a huge difference.
    The rear tire is the Control casing which is a bit heavier; the front is the S-Works casing which is lighter. This is a great set-up as you rear wheel is taking the beating and you want a bit more rubber back there to avoid tears.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by TiGeo View Post
    The rear tire is the Control casing which is a bit heavier; the front is the S-Works casing which is lighter. This is a great set-up as you rear wheel is taking the beating and you want a bit more rubber back there to avoid tears.
    Huh. My experience has been that lower-tpi tires (regardless of sidewall thickness) tend to shred a lot more easily than higher-tpi tires (again, regardless of thickness), especially in tubeless setups. I suppose we'll see how it lasts on this bike. The good news is that she's lighter and less aggressive than me, so it'll probably be fine.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Sweet looking ride Pisgah! :-)

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by TiGeo View Post
    $1800 would be good to me...that is a bit less than 20% off. A lot of shops though don't move much as the margin aren't great on bikes. Can't hurt to ask. I just wouldn't pay full price for a 2013 when 2014s are hitting the floor
    What he said. I think 1800 would be a good price to go for also. Much higher and I'd look somewhere else. Not to make it any harder (that's what she said) but have you looked into some or these mail order bikes? The airborne goblin really caught my eye when I was looking, seems like you get a LOT of bike for your money

mtbr member
    Supposedly the 2014 Crave is 200gr lighter than than the 2013.

The Crave has a bit taller front end. Its going to be geared more towards trail than XC with the Stumpy.

I was in the same boat a few months ago. I ended up with the Carve Pro. I liked the higher front end. I didn't want the XC geo of the Stumpy.

Frame, Fork, wheels, and rear derailleur are all thats left from the stock bike. Wheels will be going in a few weeks. Niner belongs to my GF.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by RS VR6 View Post
    Supposedly the 2014 Crave is 200gr lighter than than the 2013.

The Crave has a bit taller front end. Its going to be geared more towards trail than XC with the Stumpy.

I was in the same boat a few months ago. I ended up with the Carve Pro. I didn't want the XC geo of the Stumpy.

Frame, Fork, wheels, and rear derailleur are all thats left from the stock bike. Wheels will be going in a few weeks. Niner belongs to my GF.

A GF that rides a niner? Man I envy you! She have a sister? 😊

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
    It looks like the Crave will have longer travel than a Stumpjumper. Spend a little less on the Crave and use the money you have saved to upgrade.
    Big Wheels Keep On Rolling

Forth Eorlingas!

Rep'n the 905
    Jun 2012
    You should be able to get that stumpy for much much cheaper. I'm in Canada and find that the prices here are generally more then in the US, and I got my 2013 stumpy last year for $1600 out the door. I'm definitely happy with it. I too was going back and for between the carve and the stumpy. Very happy with my decision, but I will say the brakes are not the greatest. Might be upgrading those soon. But for what your looking at, if your not doing any upgrades and just want to buy and ride then get the stumpy. IF your LBS will give you a better deal. Mind you I'm 6'8" and I bought a XXL, so I might have got a better deal cause there aint too many people needing a XXL out there lol.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013