Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Dec 2010

2013 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Elite 29

Picked it up yesterday. Have been riding a 2011 Specialized Enduro as my main bike for the last two years but I really have taken to 29ers and will probably never buy anything else ever again.

i know it's fashionable to bust on Specialized but while they are not as avant garde or trendy as some of the smaller companies they make beautiful and very capable bikes. After adjusting the saddle and the controls to my liking it was as if I had never ridden anything else. It's that comfortable and pleasant to ride.

I really like the Brain Shock which was one of the reasons I picked this model. It seems to work as advertised; it rides very smooth and fast both downhill and uphill and I hardly noticed it.

I am 5'11" and got the large frame. My inseam is 32". I mention this because while the saddle height is perfect for me, the seat post is all the way down and there is no more room for adjustment. if you are in doubt about the size, get it with the shorter stroke command post or get the medium frame. They are not lying, by the way, about the kung-fu action seat post. It works perfectly but slams to the up position with a frightening velocity that can do serious damage to your gonads if you aren't careful.

It has a Fox Talas fork with the Climb-Trail-Descent selector. Pretty much have left it in the "Trail" setting which works for our local trails. The SRAM crank is carbon fiber...not particularly necessary but cool nonetheless. Two thumbs up for the Autosag feature.

The derailleur has a clutch. Again, not something you notice immediately but on reflection it is a very quiet, smooth-riding bike. Hear not so much as a whisper from the drivetrain. I like the chain guide as it has no moving parts and seems very smooth but we'll see how it holds up.

It's a 2x10. I think most people would agree that the third chainring is on the way out. To be honest I run mostly in the small front chainring.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2013 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Elite 29-fsr.jpg  

Last edited by Ailuropoda; 11-14-2012 at 04:29 PM.

Oh, I've GOT bike money
    Very nice bike. I would own one of these except that I felt there was too much pedal bob. That was my only major complaint. I love the frame design - really sexy with a low standover. I definitely felt more like I was in the bike more than on top of it which I liked. Hard to beat it on rough trails or rocky descents. It handles really well considering the long wheelbase.

The 2011 / 2012s I demoed came with a 5" drop Command Post, and on the XL I found that I needed to have the post all the way down, and I wished it would go down just a tad more. I think for a lot of folks the 4" or even 3" drop would work better. I'm currently running a Blacklite with a 4" drop and that is working out good for me.

Have fun on that beast!

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    nice bike

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Does the rear shock have propedal and a lockout?

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Just picked up my 08 stumpjumper. I am looking forward to riding it. Yours looks nice.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Nice bike... How about a short review? I'm considering this same bike.. How is the handling on tight switch back single track, or techy climbing? I'm coming from a Santa Cruz Blur LT w 140 and one riddle im trying to solve is if the stumpy would be more or less nimble than my blur w 26 inch wheels but a little more travel..
    more real life pics are always good to if conveinent...

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I've got about 350 miles on it so far. The only problem so far was the Command Post Blacklite dropper post that came with it. It has a single bolt seat clamp and no matter how hard I tightened it invariably the nose of the saddle would tilt up after hitting a good bump.

Very annoying and I was going to replace it with my KS post but after cleaning the grease from the compression wedges (Specialized's mounting instructions call for grease), spraying the contact surfaces with Carbogrip, and tightening the bolt well beyond the torque specs it seems to be holding up and I have had no problems.

It's a big, burly, rugged bike and I really like it. Some random thoughts:

1. Never going back to small wheels. I'm coming off of a 2011 Enduro which is going to be the last 26 inch bike I'll ever own. I really like it and will keep it and ride it occasionally but 29 inches is the way to go. This is not specific to the FSR but those big wheels roll over the same roots and obstacles that used to require some "bike handling" almost effortlessly. And they seem to keep rolling once you get up to speed. Definitely notice better traction, too.

2. The brain works as advertised and continues to impress. On smooth, rolling terrain it feels like a hardtail...it's that good at keeping the back stiff. I run it as stiff as possible and I think that suits out local terrain. On the other hand it transitions very smoothly to full-suspension when necessary. You hardly notice it which is the point, The ****er just works. Plus it gets two thumbs up for the coolness factor.

3. CTD on the front fork is nice, I suppose, but on the trails I leave it in the trail mode almost all of the time. I use the "climbing" mode primarily for riding on paved roads to keep the front as stiff as the back. Interestingly enough, the FSR Elite sucks almost as hard as my Enduro for out-of-saddle pedaling, even in the climb mode the fork still behaves like a pogo stick. There is no true "lockout" which would have been nice. But generally I am a spinner, not a masher, and rarely get out of the saddle for climbs. The fork is fantastic otherwise.

4. Drive train is like butter. Smooooth. The "dangler" is probably not necessary as the clutch on the derailleur keeps the chain from falling off but it doesn't seem to add and appreciable drag.

5. The geometry is comfortable for me. The Epic and Camber seemed too race-oriented and I prefer riding in a more upright position with more weight over the back.

6. Did I mention it's a big bike? A little hard to manhandle around tight switchbacks but other than that no problems. And it's not a lightweight. WIth my pedals and running tubeless it's a shade over 28 pounds. Light compared to my 34 pound Enduro but still a lot of bike.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by vegan_warrior View Post
    Does the rear shock have propedal and a lockout?
    No. You don't need either. It is completely automatic.

mtbr member
    Great bike! Specialized knows how to make a very nice bike! They ride fantastic and are pretty impressive.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I have the 2013 Stump FSR Carbon Comp 29er. I swapped the original cassette and cranks out for the XO versions. My bike is size XL and weighs 12.715kg without pedals.

I love the CTD suspension and the autosag feature. I find it helps to reset sag on the rear shock every couple of rides, the sag in the forks less often. I don't think there is any pedal bob in trail mode and I find the lockout mode to be mostly unnecessary. I ride in both trail and descent modes the most.

I took the dangler off. I will put it back on for the most gnarly terrain only. It does provide resistance especially when things get a little muddy. I have also replaced my flats with clipless.

Sounds like you got some grease on the seat post portion of your frame, probably best if you clean the seatpost area of the frame inside and outside as best as possible with some alcohol and then only ever apply a carbon paste. You should not have to torque the seat collar beyond spec.

Photo of my bike below. Like you I will never go back to 26er's. I am in a club where we ride mostly XC forest type terrain and I easily out roll all the others, meaning I can glide for 50 meters and maintain speed where they are pedalling. And being an ex-motocrosser I love the more agressive geometry and fatter suspension on the stumpjumper over the epic and camber.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2013 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Elite 29-img00637-20120907-1711.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I'm supposed to pick mine up this week - getting fired up. I did a lot of research and ended up with the Stumpjumper. I have a SJ hardtail that I love, and am confident the fit will be pretty close to the same.Hopefully we can get some decent weather in Michigan pretty soon so I can test it out.

Gears... I hate gears
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by stepitup_onenotch View Post
    I have the 2013 Stump FSR Carbon Comp 29er. I swapped the original cassette and cranks out for the XO versions. My bike is size XL and weighs 12.715kg without pedals.

I love the CTD suspension and the autosag feature. I find it helps to reset sag on the rear shock every couple of rides, the sag in the forks less often. I don't think there is any pedal bob in trail mode and I find the lockout mode to be mostly unnecessary. I ride in both trail and descent modes the most.

I took the dangler off. I will put it back on for the most gnarly terrain only. It does provide resistance especially when things get a little muddy. I have also replaced my flats with clipless.

Sounds like you got some grease on the seat post portion of your frame, probably best if you clean the seatpost area of the frame inside and outside as best as possible with some alcohol and then only ever apply a carbon paste. You should not have to torque the seat collar beyond spec.

Photo of my bike below. Like you I will never go back to 26er's. I am in a club where we ride mostly XC forest type terrain and I easily out roll all the others, meaning I can glide for 50 meters and maintain speed where they are pedalling. And being an ex-motocrosser I love the more agressive geometry and fatter suspension on the stumpjumper over the epic and camber.
    XL and your seat is that high!?
    Beautiful bikes though

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by snowybunting View Post
    I'm supposed to pick mine up this week - getting fired up. I did a lot of research and ended up with the Stumpjumper. I have a SJ hardtail that I love, and am confident the fit will be pretty close to the same.Hopefully we can get some decent weather in Michigan pretty soon so I can test it out.
    Pretty close to the same? Did you research the bike at all? They are EXTREMELY different bikes that will in no way ride like one another. You may want to demo one before blowing money. (you didn't mention it, but I'm assuming you are talking 29er HT vs 29er FSR)

mtbr member
    Feb 2008

Nice!!!

Super sweet. Well done!

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    They ride fantastic and are pretty impressive.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by reedfe View Post
    XL and your seat is that high!?
    Beautiful bikes though
    What can I say, I'm a big guy at just over 6'4". I am at the limit of the XL frame size. Specialized offer a XXL frame but alu only.

Updated photo of the bike from yesterdays ride. I posted a review of this bike a couple of weeks ago.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2013 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Elite 29-img00656-20121210-1426.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech420 View Post
    Pretty close to the same? Did you research the bike at all?
    As I said (verbatim, actually) " I did a lot of research and ended up with the Stumpjumper."

They are EXTREMELY different bikes that will in no way ride like one another. You may want to demo one before blowing money. (you didn't mention it, but I'm assuming you are talking 29er HT vs 29er FSR)

I was speaking of the fit and geometry, since I am going from a 19" Specialized to a 19" Specialized.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by snowybunting View Post
    As I said (verbatim, actually) " I did a lot of research and ended up with the Stumpjumper."

I was speaking of the fit and geometry, since I am going from a 19" Specialized to a 19" Specialized.
    You're going from a Specialized to a Specialized and that is the ONLY similarity they have. You obviously missed a lot on your research if you think the fit and geometry is even remotely close. One is a cross country race ready bike while the other is a gnar tackling heavy duty trail bike.

mtbr member
    Subscribed
    2012 SC Tallboy LTc X9 Talas Build in '13
    Prior bikes: 2012 Camber Comp 29er, 2010 RIP9, 2005 D'ale Prophet/Jekyll

mtbr member
    May 2008
    any updates on your bike? I hope its going well, I just ordered mine last week. I hope its going to be in, in the next few days.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I have 30 miles on my Elite. So far its been great, very easy to ride. I have noticed that the brain doesnt seem to work that well. Anyone else notice this?

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I found the brain took a while 1. to get used too and 2. wear in. 2 yrs on and I'm loving it. It's something that can grows on you.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    how does the brain brake in, and do you have any setup tips?

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Update: Rear shock went bad, front tire had pimpling, and rear derailleur was acting up. My 13 stumpjumper has been a mess since day 1. Luckily it looks like my dealer is going to take care of me and make this right.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    My Elite fsr 29er rear brake failed in 30 milies. Sram warrentied FRT.and Rear. Crank is clicking like crazy.Has anyone expierenced this? Brain leaves oil on piston which I think is normal lubrication. How do you like command post? Issues are very annoying at this price point

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast