mtbr member
    Oct 2009

2013 Specialized SJ Comp Carbon, C-Dale F29-3, or Giant XTC 1 Carbon? Tough choice!

Which one of these carbon 29ers would you go with if given the choice and why?
    For what it's worth I can get the SJ for $2,500, the F29-3 for $2,400, or the XTC-1 for $2,200.00. All great deals IMO
    I will be pulling the trigger on one of them soon.
    I am currently leaning toward the SJ because it weighs in at 22.5 lbs in stock trim without pedals...
    2013 C-Dale Scalpel
    2013 Scott Genius 930

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
    Well, I would choose the C'dale. That lefty fork is just not comparable to the 80mm RockShox on the SJ (especially as it is the NEW and improved 90mm lefty over the 80mm RockShox). And for $100 less, it is the one to buy. Do NOT even think about Giant.
    Big Wheels Keep On Rolling

Forth Eorlingas!

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Thanks for the input, I do already have a 2013 Scalpel, so the F29 may make the most sense... However, I just found out today that the new F29-3's in a medium are out until at least May according to both LBS's I spoke to. I doubt I will be able to wait that long, unless I get lucky online somewhere...
    The medium SJ has a 90mm fork, same as the F29 (only the small version is 80mm according to the Specialized website). The SJ is also only 22.5 lbs out of the box, not bad for the extra $100.00... The Giant is nice for the price, just npt to o sure about it, I think it is around 26lbs too.
    2013 C-Dale Scalpel
    2013 Scott Genius 930

mtbr member
    All great bikes for sure. The SJ is awesome as is the XTC. I haven't ridden the C-dale in a few years, but I don't doubt that is a great bike. You have a hard choice to make for sure.
    The price on the 2013 XTC composite 1 29er retails for $2775 and you can get it on sale for $2200. That would be my choice. I have the XTC composite 3 29er and it weighs 25lbs so i figure the XTC C1 weighs 24ish lbs.

Downside to the Cannondale Lefty is it is a propitiatory shock and you will need to have only a Cannondale dealer get the parts. It is a nice bike though. I had a lefty on my Jekyll when I had it in 2005. We had to rebuild a few of them when we were a dealer. I am sure they fixed the problem though.

The SJ is fast nimble and light. I was really impressed with it but went with the XTC Composite 3 29er because of the ride quality and fit.

No matter what you chose out of that list you will be happy.

Good luck!

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    XTC 1 Composite weighs 24 lbs. 14 oz without pedals. I was considering that bike, and the F29-3 (couldn't get till at least May in a medium), but the Stumpy at 22.5 lbs. and only a couple hundred more made the decision way easier for me.
    2013 C-Dale Scalpel
    2013 Scott Genius 930

mtbr member
    Excellent choice! Specialized makes some very nice bikes.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Still hasn't been in the woods, but I know it is gonna be a winner!
    I did swap out the stem, went tubeless and put on brand new Shimano SLX brakes so far, and will follow that with a carbon low rise bar soon.. Those Maguras just do not feel right to me, and I had the SLX's on another bike so I made the switch...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2013 Specialized SJ Comp Carbon, C-Dale F29-3, or Giant XTC 1 Carbon? Tough choice!-remedy-8-002.jpg  

2013 C-Dale Scalpel
    2013 Scott Genius 930

mtbr member
    Sweet ride!! Excellent choice on upgrades. I would have done similair. I don't care for Maguras at all either.

mtbr member
    I am really enjoying mine, it's so quick and responsive. Not convinced about the Magura's yet; and I have to say I think the Rockshox REBA is a fail. I fitted tubeless from day one, and thinking about riser bars too but the fork will be the first big change I will make.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Let the upgrades begin...
    The weight of the bike without pedals was 22 lbs 5oz when I brought it home from the shop.
    Since then I have converted to tubeless, changed the stem, and swapped out the crappy Magura brakes with Shimano SLX's.
    Today I just ordered a set of Crest wheels, a Bontrager RXL Low rise Carbon bar, Alligator Windcutter rotors and an XT cassette.
    Once it is all mounted I will get it weighed, can't wait to see how much I lose!
    2013 C-Dale Scalpel
    2013 Scott Genius 930

mtbr member
    Whats the difference between the SJ Carbon Comp and the S-works SJ?
    I`m sure it`s mostly components along with the price.No semetry

DMills
    Apr 2012

2013 Specialized SJ Comp Carbon, C-Dale F29-3, or Giant XTC 1 Carbon? Tough choice!

Funny I was just looking at the same 3 bikes! Actually had a Scott Scale 930 in the mix too. I ended up going with the Cannondale. The Dale seemed to fit me a bit better than the SJ and Scott. The XTC felt nice too but I couldn't pass up the lefty. I upgraded to XT brakes and tubeless before the bike left the shop. Looking to upgrade the wheel set soon.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I had my heart set on a stumpjumper comp carbon as well, but now some friends are trying to talk me into an xtc composite 0 or xtc advanced SL 1 instead. The prices are pretty similar (slightly more expensive for the giants but also better components).

They both have giants so I'm not sure if it is just them being biased or not when they say giant has the best geometry and carbon frames in hardtails with the exception of maybe scott. Google searches haven't been very helpful in clearing this up either.

If they have Giants, they are biased, unless they like their bikes very much. If you like the Giant more than the Specialized, then go for that.

Forth Eorlingas!

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by CannondaleF9 View Post
    If they have Giants, they are biased, unless they like their bikes very much. If you like the Giant more than the Specialized, then go for that.
    That is the conundrum I'm dealing with now. I like the specialized, appearance wise and have had no problems with my carve, but most of the components that come with the giants are a step up for $178-$438 more depending on the model of the giant (xtc composite 0 vs advanced sl 1).

I can test an xtc composite because my friend has one but I'm not sure I have any way of testing the stumpjumper carbon comp. There is a local bike store that sells them but if I went with the stumpjumper I would actually be buying it from the store near my parents house and it seems kind of shady to arrange a test ride here (might just have to do it though).

Quote Originally Posted by taod3mon View Post
    That is the conundrum I'm dealing with now. I like the specialized, appearance wise and have had no problems with my carve, but most of the components that come with the giants are a step up for $178-$438 more depending on the model of the giant (xtc composite 0 vs advanced sl 1).

I can test an xtc composite because my friend has one but I'm not sure I have any way of testing the stumpjumper carbon comp. There is a local bike store that sells them but if I went with the stumpjumper I would actually be buying it from the store near my parents house and it seems kind of shady to arrange a test ride here (might just have to do it though).
    What does having the dealer close to your parents house have to do with a test ride. The best would not be a test ride, but if the shop allows you to rent a bike for a weekend, you could bring the bike to where you ride and see for yourself how you like it compared to your friend's Giant.
    In my opinion, the Specialized is the better bike.

Forth Eorlingas!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pick-ups View Post
    Whats the difference between the SJ Carbon Comp and the S-works SJ?
    I`m sure it`s mostly components along with the price.No semetry
    Its also a different carbon layup. The S-Works frame is lighter.