mtbr member
    Mar 2006

2013 SCOTT Scale 930. Holy Crap

I've ridden a lot of bikes, worked at two shops, raced road and mountain, put like a gajillion miles on at Ray's, and I kindof collect bikes (my wife and I have 14 bikes right now).

I decided i'm getting old and fat 5'-10" 135 in 08, 165 now, so I decided to race MTB this year. I sold my Jeep XJ, and started looking for a hard-tail.

I went to my most favoritest LBS ever, and picked up a 2013 SCOTT Scale 930. It is actually my first hard tail with a suspension fork. I've owned probably 15 Fox forx, but always on FS bikes. It took a couple of DAYS to come in, which was pretty hard to take. It was the first bike i've bought as a retail customer. So many firsts!

I finally got to take the thing out on a fast ride this morning, there was some late-March SNOW, and a little H2O, but here's my review.

HOLY WOW this thing is fast. It is like a road bike for single track. I wish I had my old legs back! (and lungs too...) The ground was a little soggy, which might have helped out, but the rear-end of this thing is just soooo smooth. I don't want to say it is "like riding with suspension", because it isn't, but it has power transfer and acceleration more like i'd expect out of BMX tires at 100psi, but compliance i'd expect out of 20psi 2.3s.

The remote that puts the fork in part-travel then full-lockout mode works very well, and has quite positive actuation. It feels like a SRAM shifter, just on top of the bar. I've never been a fan of anything but fully open suspension. I'm a mechanical engineer and feel that proper spring rate and damping is all you need, but in part-travel mode the bike does seem more responsive to power input than in full-open mode. Go figure. Also on the road sections of my ride I found myself using actual lockout for the first time. Maybe I'll be wrong again some time.

I swapped out some XT brakes my wife had sitting in the basement, a super-light truvativ noir handlebar, SALSA Ti flip-off skewers (I honestly expected a thru-axle, but the 9mms will do fine). Again the wife had an old Specialized Rival SL saddle, and a nice carbon cage. With TIME XS pedals and the above mentioned swaps it comes in at 22.8 lbs. Not Bad. We also had a Ti steerer-cap screw that found its way in there.

I thought about going tubeless, but there are very few puncture risks where I ride, so the Rocket Rons it has will probably be better with tubes since I read they're porous and need a lot of maintenance with Stans (which weighs about the same as the Cheng-Shin tubes anyways.) I have slant 6s on my rigid 29er, but I like the RRs better for this bike. I like the shaper lugs for the possibility of mud, which I usually avoid it out of respect for trail maintenance, but this is a race rig and the lines I pick in XC races stay in Vegas.

I thought about swapping in some Chris King hubs for which I've been looking for a use, but lucky for my evening the required spoke lengths are a little too different. I even brought the truing stand in from the garage to show the hubs I was serious! The DTs are perfectly fine, but I'm sure I'll source some blingy white spokes to have an excuse to get that stand back out.

Anyways, I love the bike. I think I'll even keep this one!

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Solid.
    Pedal through it!

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Video of said test ride.

Rogue Exterminator
    Good choice on bikes.
    The Scott Scale is a nice bike and definitely on my short list.
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    First post here, been riding MTB since 1987.

I bought one of these 930 bikes a month ago, mainly for XC fitness. It replaced a 2005 Kona Caldera which was a bit heavy and more a singletrack bike than all day XC bike. Before that I had a 1995 Mongoode hardtail, which killed the Kona for XC work.

Anyway, this new bike is my first 29er. On the flats and up moderate inclines, the bike is a beast. Very quick to accelerate when mashing the pedals, but it actually feels really agile changing direction like my old Caldera. It doesn't get upsets and rides over almost anything - a great advantage of a 29er.

The chain line is dismal though as I couldn't get it to be particularly quiet. The cranks are set too far outboard relative to the cassette. I did replace the stock cranks with X9 (probably a waster of money TBH), but the offset was the same. The gearshift is very positive and fast, thanks to the X9 RD and X7 shifters. Actually feels better than my old LX/XT combo.

I feel the bike's major downside is the way the front end comes up when ascending steeply in the granny gear. The bike does have a laid back attitude to it, perhaps the short chainstays which aid the agility detract from its climbing ability. I wouldn't recommend this bike for someone wanting to climb steep sections at slow speed. It's more a singletrack bomber. Still, a sweet ride.

I'm 5' 11-1/2 and the Large is the best size for me. It's a keeper for now.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I have the Scale 970 with an X-Fusion Slide RL2 and love it. I had tested 3 other hardtails with the 970 being the last one tested and immediately I could tell it was one. I remember thinking that it was MY BIKE before I even bought it. Geometry and cockpit setup were just dialed. The combination of short chainstays (438mm) and slacker headtube angle (69.5) makes it nice and flowy while going fast. I can only imagine the 930 to be nothing short of stellar. There isn't any other hardtail I'd want.

The Rocket Rons are pretty decent. Feels like the brakes are being put on when rolling over soft stuff. Try not to ride pavement too much because I found the rear to wear quickly with that soft compound.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I purchased the 2012 model of this bike in late December. I went tubeless with the original Synchros (DT Swiss) rims and have had a lot of trouble with rear flats. I think it is due to the Rocket Ron tires and the rims not being truly tubeless ready. I love the bike and the way it rides, but am tired of the flats. Any thoughts?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Re: 2013 SCOTT Scale 930. Holy Crap

I haven't tried to go tubeless with the synchros wheels yet. Are u attempting this with wire bead Rocket Ron's? That could be the issue (wire bead).

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2
    2012 Scott Spark 29 Team
    2013 Scott Scale 970
    2011 Scott Speedster S20
    1999 Specialized FSR Comp

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by zephxiii View Post
    I haven't tried to go tubeless with the synchros wheels yet. Are u attempting this with wire bead Rocket Ron's? That could be the issue (wire bead).

Yes. I bought the bike in December and have ridden it 600 miles with no problems until last month. I dented the rim and had it straightened. No problems for a few rides but then started burping on my usual trail rides. The bike shop owner told me I was too heavy to ride tubeless (I'm 5'11" 185 lbs). That didn't sound right to me. I took it to two other bike shops and they both said the rim was not made for tubeless. I've since switched to Stan's Arch EX and new Maxxis tires. No problems now. I'm disappointed with the bike shop I bought the bike from.

mtbr member
    Too heavy to ride tubeless!! Lol- I am just under 250# and ran tubless for years with no problems. What is the verdict on this bike? I am looking at one at the lbs and would love to hear how she has held up over the summer?

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Gonzo 1971 View Post
    Too heavy to ride tubeless!! Lol- I am just under 250# and ran tubless for years with no problems. What is the verdict on this bike? I am looking at one at the lbs and would love to hear how she has held up over the summer?
    Since I've changed out the original Synchros rims and Rocket Ron Evo Tires to Stan's Arch EX rims and Maxxis Ignitor tires, I love the bike! It handles extremely well. I've put 900 miles on it since January. I live in North Carolina and have ridden it in Tsali National Park, North Wilkesboro (Dark Mountain, Over Mountain Victory Trail, Warrior Creek), White Water Center in Charlotte, and all of the reservoir trails in Greensboro. Previous bike was a Fisher Cobia. The 930 is very light (23.5 lbs). I paid $2,800 for this bike and REI has it listed on their website currently for $2,300. Good buy either way.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I just picked this same exact bike on clearance at my LBS. Still have the tags on it and haven't had time to go for a ride. I'm amazed how light it feels. I paid $1599 and I thought the carbon frame was worth it. My LBS said if I wanted to go tubeless, it would cost $50 for parts and labor. Are the stock wheels capable of going tubeless? Is it worth it? I'm also looking for a carbon seatpost later to hopefully absorb some of the chatter.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by vrsixer View Post
    I just picked this same exact bike on clearance at my LBS. Still have the tags on it and haven't had time to go for a ride. I'm amazed how light it feels. I paid $1599 and I thought the carbon frame was worth it. My LBS said if I wanted to go tubeless, it would cost $50 for parts and labor. Are the stock wheels capable of going tubeless? Is it worth it? I'm also looking for a carbon seatpost later to hopefully absorb some of the chatter.
    Wow. $1,600? Obviously I think that's a steal since I paid $2,800 for mine. My LBS set mine up as tubeless using the stock rims and Rocket Ron tires. It didn't work. I had several flats on the rear tire. They told me I was too heavy to ride tubeless. I'm 5'11" and weigh 185 lbs. I finally bought Stan's Arch EX rims and Maxxis tires. I haven't had any problems in the last 300 miles of riding. I guess if you don't weigh as much as I do the $50 tubeless set up might work. I had the Stan's set up done for $300 at REI. It was well worth it. Love the bike now. I bought a carbon bar and that was a noticeable difference. The original seatpost is so large you really don't need a carbon seatpost in my opinion. Others will obviously disagree. I'd try the carbon bar first though. Nice deal! Now I'm wondering why this bike is selling for so much less than the original price. If you do a search you'll notice most bike shops are still selling it for $2,800 ($2,300 at REI). I'm not sorry I bought the bike at $2,800. Of course, now I have $3,200 in it due to the new bar, rims, and tires. Still worth it though. It's light.

mtbr member
    $1699 I would buy one now! My local bike shop has it marked $2499 but said they could do me a little better. I assume they mean about $2300. $1699 I would assume to be dealer cost or less.
    Last edited by Gonzo 1971; 10-05-2013 at 09:47 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    My LBS has to double check the price cause their closeout list had the 920 for $1999, the 930 for $1599, and the 940 for $1599. I bet the 930 was supposed to be $1799. They never said a word except that I was getting a really good bike for the price. Lifetime tuneups and 20% off accessories included in the sale. It's a 30min drive for me, but I would happily buy again in the future.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Killer looking bike!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Hey, I'm sorry to bother you mikebowyer and all of you guys. I just bought this same bike last sunday after like 20 years of not buying a bike and when I used to ride you just have to by a very simple bike, with tires, brakes and that's it, so all of these new things I just don't know nothing about them.

I wanted to ask you about the suspension. So I took the bike from the LBS and went for a ride to the beach, I then inactivated (supposedly) the suspension because I was told when ride over the road you don't need it to be active, but the thing is I couldn't notice any difference at all when being active/inactive, it stilled cushioning and I 'm wondering if that's ok or it should have been truly rigid?

I'm sorry I'm not very good with english but I hope you did get what I meant to ask. Thank you all.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    The lockout may need an adjustment. Take it back to the service tech where you bought it and watch what he does.
    You don't need to lock it for road riding. You can benefit from the front fork even on the road.
    It is useful when standing to pedal on climbs.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by the_uteboy View Post

I feel the bike's major downside is the way the front end comes up when ascending steeply in the granny gear. The bike does have a laid back attitude to it, perhaps the short chainstays which aid the agility detract from its climbing ability. I wouldn't recommend this bike for someone wanting to climb steep sections at slow speed.
    Tat's an interesting comment regarding the short chainstays - every reviewer would rave a bike when it's got a short chainstay but no has yet mentioned the potential downside to a short chainstay.

The Fastest of Bananas
    There ins't such thing as too heavy. just up the pressure. Unless you are 300+ maybe.

I had a Scale 10 bad in the day, it was friggin awesome. It makes me really want one of these new Scale 29ers. I'm jelly

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Re: 2013 SCOTT Scale 930. Holy Crap

Yeah on the short chainstays comment, that's not a common problem, ya just need to work on your body position more is all.

Scale's chainstays aren't THAT short. I've never had any problems climbing on mine..

2012 Scott Spark 29 Team
    2013 Scott Scale 970
    2011 Scott Speedster S20
    1999 Specialized FSR Comp