mtbr member
    Apr 2012

2013: Scott Scale 900 SL vs Cannondale F29 Ultimate.

Time for a new bike... What would you buy between these two? And why?
    Any tips and advices are welcome.

I would replace the C'dale 2x10 for the XX1...

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
    Cannondale has better tires, but costs $2,100 more. The Cannondale looks better in my opinion, but the brakes are better on the Scott. If you want XX1, the Scott has that already, so that would be the better bike of the two.
    Big Wheels Keep On Rolling

Forth Eorlingas!

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Having ridden both...buy the Flash. You just cant compare the Lefty front end to any other fork. It totally makes the bike. I rode prolly a dozen different bikes before choosing my Flash and I am extremely satisfied with it. Yes the bike costs a ton more but honestly its worth it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    The Scott has a great racing heritage. It has limited(68.5mm) chainstay tire clearance. The Flash was developed with exceptional rear compliance.
    I would buy a Grand Canyon CF SLX. Canyon sells direct and ships to Brazil. I would go 8.9 and upgrade to my chosen components. Spec Roval carbons, Manitou Tower Pro fork, XT brakes,etc.
    Canyon Presents 2013 CF SLX Carbon Hard Tail 29"ers

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Currently I ride a 26 Flash Carbon. And yes, I love the Lefty.
    But Cannondale are missing the point for not released a XX1 in it's 2013 line.
    That's why I'm considering a Scale 900 SL on my move to 29. Cheaper and ready to go. But I never had the chance to actually try one.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    By the time that bike went into production I doubt there was ample supply of components for them to offer xx1....surely at that price point I would be willing to guarantee most bike shops would be willing to swap out a few components. I have ridden an xx1 bike briefly and agree it is nice but not sure how I feel about 1x11 yet. I am quite sure you'll see it next year for sure.

Genius
    The extra money is for the c'dale is justified by the Lefty. Damn good ride quality and snappy response. At this price point the LBS will change out whatever you want. The Scott is also a nice option but the Cdale is a little better ride but I don't see you going wrong with either. It just might come down to fit and personal preference after the test ride.

Either way you have good taste. Good luck
    "I think im gonna go to walmart and look at the mountain bikes and see if i can salvage the rear frame."- Nick_Knipp 3/21/12

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    If money is no object then I'd say Flash.I've owned several HT's and demoed many others and the Carbon flash "imo" is as good as it gets.

If you gotta have the Scott,put a Lefty on it. lol

Genius
    Quote Originally Posted by Bird View Post
    If money is no object then I'd say Flash.I've owned several HT's and demoed many others and the Carbon flash "imo" is as good as it gets.

If you gotta have the Scott,put a Lefty on it. lol
    Nailed It!! I replaced the TALAS with a Lefty on my Scott Genius a couple years ago. This is my AM bike. It eats chunk.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2013: Scott Scale 900 SL vs Cannondale F29 Ultimate.-10.jpg  

"I think im gonna go to walmart and look at the mountain bikes and see if i can salvage the rear frame."- Nick_Knipp 3/21/12

mtbr member
    I'd buy the Cannondale for the Lefty, non XX brakes and the lifetime warranty.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    What about the weight? Anyone know the actual weight of them?

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    typical, i wanna know the same thing just both bikes with lower spec. I'm trying to choose between the Scale 930 and the Dale F29 1 Alloy.....Blatent jacking apologies

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Guys, thanks for all the inputs. I'll stay in the Cannondale family.

Now I'm gonna start another thread regarding X11 specifications and hubs to work on the F29u.

Thank you!

mtbr member
    To change to XX1, you will need the XX1 kit + a XD Driver cassette body for the DT240 hub that comes on the flash. I don't believe Cannondale has a spider for the XX1 chainring on the Hollowgram cranks...yet.

I've had both bikes, and they're both awesome. Rode three years worth of Flash's and loved every one.

Flash has much more tire clearance, this is the biggest weakness of the Scale.

Flash might climb better.

I prefer the compliance of the Scott, they're very comparable in absorbtion, but the Scale feels a little less "springy", even with a standard post on the Flash.

I prefer the geometry of the Scale for descending.

Scale runs a little small vs. the Flash.
    Race Reports, PreRide Reports, and General Rambling:

www.roostersbikersedge.com
    http://www.ENVEcomposites.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2013

scott scale 900 sl

5 months ago i purchased scott scale 900 sl and i'm very satisfied w this racing machine
    here is photo album...Tomislav Nemet: Scott scale 900 SL
    few things i would like to mention above else...wheels (extremly tough and lite), frame (stiff), XX1 (simple, powerfull and needs lot of power)

mtbr member
    I recently went through the same decision process, albeit a couple of rungs down in price point. I was comparing flash 2 carbon vs scale 910.

See here:*Scott Scale 910 vs Cannondale Flash 29 Carbon 2

I believe the 910 and 900 SL have the same geometry, although SL has better grade carbon. Flash 2 carbon and Ultimate have the same frame.

I too preferred the spec on the Scott and I was a bit concerned about the proprietary nature of the Lefty.

In the end though, ride quality won out. Having demoed both, I found the flash to feel a lot more compliant and much more agile. Both were seriously fast, but when the track got tight and/or rough, the flash was a much nicer bike to be on.

I took delivery of my shiny new flash 2 carbon last week

Happy choosing.