mtbr member
    Feb 2008

2013 Scalpel 2 v. 2012 Epic Expert

I've narrowed my new bike search down to 2 bikes, both of which I can get a good deal on. However, the 2013 Scalpel 2 is $350 cheaper than the 2012 Epic Expert. I'm a cross-country rider that participates in Xterra events and some weeknight races at our local ski resort.

Maybe I can't go wrong either way, but does anyone with some experience on either of these two bikes have an opinion?

Thanks for the input!

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I'm looking for a new bike and have demo'd both bikes. Both are a little out of my price range so I'm ending up with the epic comp carbon. Given the choice after both demos, I would go with the scalpel 2. The bike, to me, just felt like it fit perfectly. The ride on the epic was very similar but I enjoyed the scalpel better. I like the component group on the scalpel a little better since you get better wheels. I believe the lefty fork is superior to the SID, however, that comes at a cost since the Lefty will need to be serviced more often than the SID. The best advise you can get from me or anyone else, though, is to go out and try them both out and see which one YOU like best. Try to see if there are any demos at your local trails and try them out. Just for point of reference, I'm in south florida where "mountain biking" doesn't involve a mountain so its more xc trail riding that's generally fast and flowy with some really technical sections sprinkled in there.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JJIV View Post
    I'm looking for a new bike and have demo'd both bikes. Both are a little out of my price range so I'm ending up with the epic comp carbon. Given the choice after both demos, I would go with the scalpel 2. The bike, to me, just felt like it fit perfectly. The ride on the epic was very similar but I enjoyed the scalpel better. I like the component group on the scalpel a little better since you get better wheels. I believe the lefty fork is superior to the SID, however, that comes at a cost since the Lefty will need to be serviced more often than the SID. The best advise you can get from me or anyone else, though, is to go out and try them both out and see which one YOU like best. Try to see if there are any demos at your local trails and try them out. Just for point of reference, I'm in south florida where "mountain biking" doesn't involve a mountain so its more xc trail riding that's generally fast and flowy with some really technical sections sprinkled in there.
    The Lefty may need more service, but the brain on the Spec will need at a minimum, a yearly service for about $150. Sometimes twice a year. Also the Spec will never be as light as the Scalpel, I have had both, built the Scalpel up to 20.9lbs and the Epic to 24.8lbs with almost identical groups. In the end though fit is most important and they fit nothing alike. Recommend getting some ride time on both before purchase.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Spinning Lizard View Post
    The Lefty may need more service, but the brain on the Spec will need at a minimum, a yearly service for about $150. Sometimes twice a year. Also the Spec will never be as light as the Scalpel, I have had both, built the Scalpel up to 20.9lbs and the Epic to 24.8lbs with almost identical groups. In the end though fit is most important and they fit nothing alike. Recommend getting some ride time on both before purchase.
    So is it the frame that's four pounds lighter or the fork or two pounds each?

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bulerias View Post
    So is it the frame that's four pounds lighter or the fork or two pounds each?
    The frame, Lefty, Hollowgram crank was the major weight difference. Also my scalpel had the project321 1400g wheelset and my epic had the Roval Control Trail Carbon 1595g wheelset. Between frame and Lefty there is almost 2lbs difference.