mtbr member
    Apr 2013

2013 Satori and the 2012 Hei Hei deluxe

I've been riding my Satori for about 7 months now and I love it. This past weekend my father picked up a 2012 hei hei deluxe. I road the hei hei and was blown away on how nimble and responsive it felt compared to my Satori. To be fair I was on a very mild path and the satori is a much more plush ride.

I want to know if there is anything I can upgrade on the Satori to give it a more nimble feel.

Also curious if anyone has a satori if they notice a twang sound when taking big hits in the rear.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    been riding my Satori hard since I bought it in December - well - when we arent snowed out like today here in CO - have never heard a "twang" on the big hits or drops - I may be off base in saying it - but maybe a spoke is loose on your wheel? that would make a twangy sound - or are you riding in the backwoods of GA? Maybe it's the dreaded banjos?? ( a little bad humor on a snow day - more for my sanity in this weather)

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Kamper...bad news on the weather man.

I will check the spokes...good idea.

Any issues on your Satori? You love it or what

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Absolutely no issues with it - Most fun I've ever had on a mt bike - and I've owned a fair few nice bikes the past 6 years - havent ridden "every" bike out there - but the Satori it seems - in the grand scheme is a very often overlooked bike and may be one of the best "values" going for a bike this balanced and capable - it slays the technical and downhills in a way you might not expect - doesnt have patented multi directional eccentric/concentrics with a gazillion points of pivot - not that there's anything wrong with em - but - Bottom line - it performs well, is easy to ride (it really doesnt have the negative wagon wheel characteristics) and leaves me smiling a mile wide after each and every ride. the ONLY downside is the weight - as factory spec'd - she's a solid 33lbs in the small frame - w my Time pedals - maybe a shade over. I had a nice set of Hope/ArchEX from my Anthem29 that I swapped over and that dropped 1.7 lbs off the rotating and overall weight - i guess if i lose about 5 lbs - its no biggie but my anthem was approx 28 total lbs and the weight is noticable on the climbs - the satori is way more capable- and did I mention most fun bike Ive owned?? All the 140 and greater trail/all mt rigs - even in smaller wheels - seem to be hitting the 30+lb mark unless carbon and 2x the price... i.e. see the new crop of 650s

Crop Dusting Magistrate
    Sep 2005
    I have a 2013 Satori and love the way it handles stock out of the box, that being said I did change the stem from the 100mm to a short 50mm, and so far the front end seems to steer a bit quicker.

Seems better on the DH as well. I haven't done any steep climbs yet with the 50mm, so there might be a bit of wandering, we'll see.

I did have a "twang" sound only once when I first got it...a spoke adjustment and it's gone. This thing is the most quiet bike I've ridden.

I've owned multi-pivot bikes, and this suspension works pretty much just as good. Once thing I link about the simple suspension is that it's way easier to clean then my Reign.

Getting ready to go tubeless on the stock wheels, and really don't have any weight savings planned.
    It wasn't me

tg
    mtbr member
    LOVE ,LOVE LOVE my Satori!!......perfect western Colorado "Fun" bike ( not a race bike )

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    let me add - I too went to a short 50mm stem and super wide bars - the easton "350" line - i believe Im at 780mm wide - i feared - as a shorter guy it wouldnt work for me - i.e. - too wide - but man - I love it - i may get a wee bit more frt wheel wander on the really steep stuff, but roll the hands forward and a little scooch on the saddle - never a problem... on the DH - and fast corners - i'm really learning the art of pushing / leaning the bike under me with the help of the wide bars - good fun

recent MTB mania victim

2013 Satori and the 2012 Hei Hei deluxe

There's some great Kona deals around here at the moment—end of season for the Southern Hemisphere!

I'm looking at the Satori and wondering, like the OP, what weight reductions could be made. Like another poster on this thread I got the small weighed… yep, 33lb. While this is actually lighter than the crappy hardtail I currently ride I was hoping for something a little lighter.

Would lighter wheels really make a difference (this would have to be a future upgrade anyway)? Or should I get a much lighter & cheaper Hei Hei Deluxe, stick a dropper post in, and call it a day?

Love the kit on the Satori; I am too much of a n00b to appreciate the fork & shock differences to the Hei Hei. My riding is not especially technical… but I could do with some confidence inspiring comfort…

It's just that weight…