mtbr member
    Jul 2013

2013 Mongoose Impasse HD?

Im looking at buying the new 2013 mongoose impasse hd in matte red from amazon. Im 6'4" 202lbs. I want to know if its worth the $300 and what do you think of the bike overall? Below are the specs i took off the official mongoose website;

Frame: Hard tail alloy frame
    Fork: Element Suspension
    Rear Shock: Element Suspension
    Bottom Bracket: 5 piece bottom bracket
    Shifters: SRAM MRX twist shifters
    Cog Set: 7 spd 14-28
    Chain: KMC Z-51
    Front Derailleur: MTB
    Rear Derailleur: Shimano TX-35
    Wheel Size: 29"
    Rims: Alloy
    Front Hub: Alloy Disc hub
    Rear Hub: Alloy Disc hub
    Tires: 29 x 2.1 MTB
    Pedals: Resin body
    Brake: Disc brakes
    Handlebar: MTB riser bar
    Stem: MTB stem
    Headset: Threadless
    Brake Levers: Alloy/resin lever
    Crankset Chainwheel: 3-piece alloy crank

mtbr member
    Dont buy it. Buy used or go to a bike shop with another $1-200 or wait for a sale. That bike will likely not even fit unless there were size options not listed. Get a bike that fits and was built properly by a bike mechanic, and will probably come with a year or so of shop support.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by shenny88 View Post
    Dont buy it. Buy used or go to a bike shop with another $1-200 or wait for a sale. That bike will likely not even fit unless there were size options not listed. Get a bike that fits and was built properly by a bike mechanic, and will probably come with a year or so of shop support.
    Why shouldnt I buy it? I just want a pretty sold bike to do bike trails around nyc. Im def not spending $500 on a bike. And why wouldnt it fit me?

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Solid*

OTB Pro

RE: 2013 Mongoose Impasse HD?

That bike is nowhere near solid and the components won't last through any hard trail riding. Not to mention the bike is probably a boat anchor and weighs a ton. Look around for sales and spend around 450-500 if you want something that will be ok on trails. Check out airborne bicycles and maybe look at their Skyhawk as I think they go pretty cheaply.
    Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by meyer378 View Post
    That bike is nowhere near solid and the components won't last through any hard trail riding. Not to mention the bike is probably a boat anchor and weighs a ton. Look around for sales and spend around 450-500 if you want something that will be ok on trails. Check out airborne bicycles and maybe look at their Skyhawk as I think they go pretty cheaply.
    Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express
    Whats so bad about this bike? Maybe cuz its a mongoose? Im not riding thru mountains. Im in nyc theres nothing but streets and sidewalks. I dont see how this bike wont last riding on the rd.

What could go wrong ...
    that bike will come in a box, can you put it together, or will you need to bring it to a shop for assembly? You would be better off buying a used bike of higher quality. $400 would get you a much better entry level bike at your local bike shop.
    I used to ride to Win ... Now I ride to Grin

While my guitar gently weeps, my bike sits there mocking me

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoke2 View Post
    that bike will come in a box, can you put it together, or will you need to bring it to a shop for assembly? You would be better off buying a used bike of higher quality. $400 would get you a much better entry level bike at your local bike shop.
    Assembly will be a breeze. Im very handy with bikes. I can completely disassemble and reassemble a bicycle with no issues. I was planning on upgrading parts on the bike slowly building it up. I mainly want it cuz its $300 to start and the matte red frame and 29" rims.

mtbr member

2013 Mongoose Impasse HD?

Not again.....
    Troll
    I'm sick of all the Irish stereotypes, as soon as I finish this beer I"m punching someone

What could go wrong ...
    if you would settle for that bike in black you can get it for $200 HERE but it only comes in a 18" frame and you will probably need a 21" frame which is not available.
    I used to ride to Win ... Now I ride to Grin

While my guitar gently weeps, my bike sits there mocking me

mtbr member
    May 2013
    It sounds like you really want to buy it, go ahead and pull the trigger. Sounds like you know bikes inside out so maintenance and repairs shouldn't be an issue. Hope it works out well for you.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Moby P View Post
    It sounds like you really want to buy it, go ahead and pull the trigger. Sounds like you know bikes inside out so maintenance and repairs shouldn't be an issue. Hope it works out well for you.
    Repairs and maintenance wont be an issue at all. I just want to know whats so bad about this bike?

OTB Pro
    You seem to really want the bike so go ahead and buy it. The bike will have very cheap, non durable components and as was said before be very heavy. Mongoose makes some very high end bikes and they also make dept store low end bikes. This bike happens to be a dept store low end bike. Save your money and buy something that will last or spend all your money on a bike that wont last you more than a season on any actual trails.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Ok guys, how about the new 2013 diamondback overdrive? Its $599 but amazon has it for $440 and it comes in a 22" frame.

OTB Pro
    I assume you mean the red one that I found for 440 off amazon. That bike has what most entry level bike shop bikes are going to have component wise and could be suited for some upgrades if you find it lacking in any way. Better quality than the mongoose IMO and overall a better bike.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Yes the red one. I will purchase it this week. After reading the specs im impressed an it comes in a 22" frame

mtbr member
    Jan 2014