mtbr member
    Dec 2012

New question here. 2013 Giant Talon 0 vs 2013 Specialized RockHopper Comp vs 2012 Trek Cobia

I am starting mountain biking again after almost 6 years. Last time I mountain biked was in Nepal I have decided to go with one of these 29ers.

1. 2013 Giant Talon 0 - $1100
    2. 2013 Specialized Rockhopper Comp - $1100
    3. 2012 Trek Cobia - $1088

They all fit good but I am more leaning towards Giant Talon 0. What the decisive factor now are the parts that these bikes have. In last 6 years, parts have really evolved. Therefore I have no clue which bike gives a better bang for the buck (part wise). Any input/help is appreciated.

I wont be going anywhere near advanced trails. It will be mostly forest service roads and medium difficult trails.

going downhill silly fast
    Hi Fatsandwich

I have a 2013 Trek Mamba which is the config just a step down from the Cobia. The fork on the Cobia in particular is a more robust component. That said, I have been really pleased with the Mamba. Very solid and confident on Mostly intermediate trails. So, I can recommend the Trek as a very solid bike. $1,000 for the bike + components on the Cobia is a great deal for a very confident ride.

All those you mentioned are probably good bikes. I made my decision on the ride & feel more than components..as they all seemed about par..and I've been happy with the bike I ended up with. I am sure you will too.

Good luck!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    The fork is the most important component for trail riding.
    The Suntour fork on the Spec limits it to bike paths and light trails. It lacks adjustable rebound damping. It will pogo if the bumps get close together. Not good value for the money.
    The Cobia gives yo an air fork versus the coil spring in the Talon. Both will work for trails. The coil is usually hevier but with the correct spring for your weight is more compliant over small bumps. The Recon Silver is broadly adjustable for different weights, but if you drop the air pressure to get a plusher ride you lose travel as your sag goes up as the pressure drops in solo air RockShox forks. RS went to solo air in all forks for 2013. In the dual air 2012 RS Reba if you drop the air pressure for a plusher initial bump response, you could put 5-10lbs less air pressure in the negative air chamber(dual air) to restore the sag level and travel.
    That fork was on the 2012 X-Cal. So if you can find one at a discount it would be a good choice. An Airborne Goblin currently ships with a dual air Reba at about your price range.
    Trek's geo is considered more current with short chain stays and slack head tube angle and short wheelbase. Airborne is classic with a little longer chain stays and slightly steeper HT> and longer wheelbase. The Talon has a little steeper HT>.
    A 2012 Scott Scale Elite has current geo and a dual air Reba. A used one would be a good buy.

Last edited by eb1888; 12-12-2012 at 05:47 AM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    They had a Trek X Caliber for $1440. If they can lower it down to $1200, I will go with that. When bike shopping, should I pay what they ask or can I bargain? If I can bargain, then by how much.

My girl friend will be buying a bike too. So we will be buying two bikes.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    ofcourse they will bargain.. especially if your buying 2 bikes..
    start low and meet in the middle.. same rules apply in any price negotiations..
    Quote Originally Posted by fatsandwich View Post
    They had a Trek X Caliber for $1440. If they can lower it down to $1200, I will go with that. When bike shopping, should I pay what they ask or can I bargain? If I can bargain, then by how much.

My girl friend will be buying a bike too. So we will be buying two bikes.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    So I test rode the bikes. My GF is definitely getting the 2012 Trek X Cal WSD. I am going to test ride one more time on 2012 Giant XTC 2 and 2012 Trek X Cal. Giant seems to feel more comfortable than Trek but I am going to give it one more shot. Both the bikes priced are about $1400 each. I am going to negotiate around $1200 for each tomorrow. Its not easy to bargain since I am in a small metropolitan. If they dont end up giving me a good discount, I am going to get it from Dallas area.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I got my 2012 xtc 2 for 1199 and they upgraded me to arch ex wheels/x9 hubs/dt swiss spoke for $350 more..

so im guessing you might even be able to get it for 1099 since they are wanting to clear 2012 inventory..
    just pretend like your not over excited and they will meet your price.. i would say anywhere between 1099 and 1199 you should be able to get it.
    no idea on the womans bike.. but since your buying 2 bike you should have some sway in negotiations..
    good luck and btw.. i agree.. i rode a bunch of bikes before i decided on the xtc... it just seems like it felt and rode better than any of the treks.. and it was the lightest bike as well.. mine weighed 26lbs bone stock with the pedals and reflectors price tags etc still on it.(after new wheels and removing reflectors etc its just under 25lbs)
    So I test rode the bikes. My GF is definitely getting the 2012 Trek X Cal WSD. I am going to test ride one more time on 2012 Giant XTC 2 and 2012 Trek X Cal. Giant seems to feel more comfortable than Trek but I am going to give it one more shot. Both the bikes priced are about $1400 each. I am going to negotiate around $1200 for each tomorrow. Its not easy to bargain since I am in a small metropolitan. If they dont end up giving me a good discount, I am going to get it from Dallas area.
    Last edited by Bigfoots; 12-12-2012 at 09:26 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    So I went to the bike shop to put an offer. I offered $2100 + tax for a 2012 Giant XTC 2 (MSRP 1400) and 2011 Trek X Caliber WSD for my GF. The shop rejected and offered back around $2340 + tax. I increased it to $2200. But they did not want to go a penny down. They wanted to sell 2012 Giant XTC 2 for 1190 and 2011 Trek X Cal WSD for $1150. I was hoping they would go down another 100 or so on the X Cal since it is almost 2 years old. I left the shop without the bike. On my way back I went to another bike shop that had a 2012 GT Zascar for $1200. Test ride went well and it had the same feel like Giant XTC 2. On checking specs, it looks like it had better part than giant. My question is if you have to pick between Giant XTC 2 and GT Zaskar 9R elite, which one would you pick?

here is the spec on GT Zaskar 9R Elite
    _vitalmtb.com/product/guide/Bikes,3/GT/Zaskar-9R-Elite,4688#product-specs
    Giant XTC 2
    _giant-bicycles.com/en-us/bikes/model/xtc.29er.2/9031/48896/

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    personally i like the geometry of the Giant. its a sweet frame.. and a great warranty.
    I also like the tapered head tube and 15mm front axle as well as the over all weight of the bike..
    So I based my decision on those factors and most importantly the feel of the bike.. I just felt more in control and more agile on it. so ultimately I think thats what you should do. 1190 is a fair price for the xtc 2..
    remember the bike shop is there to turn a profit just like you go to work every day to earn money. you cant expect them to sell bikes at cost.. i think their offer was pretty good but you should also consider what the shop offers as perks when you buy the bike from them.. perhaps one shop has free tune ups for life or something the other does not offer..
    for me the clincher was the service i get from the shop i purchased from... they even got my custom wheels cheaper than anywhere else i could find online.. so there are many things to factor in. go with your gut. good luck -

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    btw... as i mentioned before i have no experience with pricing woman bikes.. I do know that the mens trek x-cal is a sweet bike but have no idea about how much the price depreciates after 2 years.. you would think they would be dieing to get rid of it to free up new inventory.. .. perhaps you can buy 1 bike at 1 shop and another at a second shop..

mtbr member
    I believe the shop should have dropped the Trek down for you since it is 2 yrs old. I am a shop owner and would love to get ride of a 2 yr old bike so I could bring in the newer model. I have even sold a high end bike that was 2 yrs old below cost as it not a good ROI (return on investment). I deally, a shop would want to do 4 turns of the product a year and having something for 2 yrs means you missed 7 turns. that is horrible. We are trying to put food on the table, pay the rent and pay our employees, but poor decision making doesn't help the bottom line at all. I would go back and talk to the owner and make the offer again. He would probably understand a little better and take your offer. I know I would. It is a very reasonable offer. Mention how the bike is 2 years old and how it is actually costing him money to keep the bike on the floor. The Giant and Trek are excellent choices and if it is what you liked, don't settle for less. I always get what I want because if I just settle for another bike then I always regret my purchase in the back of my mind. I just got the 2013 Giant XTC Composite 3 and am already considering switching it out to the 2013 Anthem. I couldn't decide between the two and the racer in me went with the XTC Composite 3 but the old man in me wants the Anthem... Get what you like, You'll be happy. OR I'll make you a great deal on a 2013 XTC Composite 3

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by AlleganyBicycleShop View Post
    I believe the shop should have dropped the Trek down for you since it is 2 yrs old. I am a shop owner and would love to get ride of a 2 yr old bike so I could bring in the newer model. I have even sold a high end bike that was 2 yrs old below cost as it not a good ROI (return on investment). I deally, a shop would want to do 4 turns of the product a year and having something for 2 yrs means you missed 7 turns. that is horrible. We are trying to put food on the table, pay the rent and pay our employees, but poor decision making doesn't help the bottom line at all. I would go back and talk to the owner and make the offer again. He would probably understand a little better and take your offer. I know I would. It is a very reasonable offer. Mention how the bike is 2 years old and how it is actually costing him money to keep the bike on the floor. The Giant and Trek are excellent choices and if it is what you liked, don't settle for less. I always get what I want because if I just settle for another bike then I always regret my purchase in the back of my mind. I just got the 2013 Giant XTC Composite 3 and am already considering switching it out to the 2013 Anthem. I couldn't decide between the two and the racer in me went with the XTC Composite 3 but the old man in me wants the Anthem... Get what you like, You'll be happy. OR I'll make you a great deal on a 2013 XTC Composite 3
    I am ok with paying $1190 on Giant XTC 2 but I am not sure how much to offer on 2011 Trek X Cal WSD

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I got the bikes. Thanks for helping me decide. Time to hit a beginner single track

2012 Trek X Cal WSD - $1230 + tax
    2012 Giant XTC 2 - $1190 + tax
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2013 Giant Talon 0 vs 2013 Specialized RockHopper Comp vs 2012 Trek Cobia-img_1670%5B1%5D.jpg  

2013 Giant Talon 0 vs 2013 Specialized RockHopper Comp vs 2012 Trek Cobia-img_1671%5B1%5D.jpg  

mtbr member
    Awesome! Good for you. Let us know how you like the ride.

mtbr member
    Awesome! Good for you. Let us know how you like the ride.

going downhill silly fast
    Congrats!
    Nice bikes. Let us know how they break in !

PS- Do you have Camelbacks? If not, I highly recommend as a way to maximize your ride time!

banned
    Dec 2006
    I am starting mountain biking again after almost 6 years. Last time I mountain biked was in Nepal I have decided to go with one of these 29ers.

1. 2013 Giant Talon 0 - $1100
    2. 2013 Specialized Rockhopper Comp - $1100
    3. 2012 Trek Cobia - $1088

They all fit good but I am more leaning towards Giant Talon 0. What the decisive factor now are the parts that these bikes have. In last 6 years, parts have really evolved. Therefore I have no clue which bike gives a better bang for the buck (part wise). Any input/help is appreciated.

I wont be going anywhere near advanced trails. It will be mostly forest service roads and medium difficult trails.
    I like the Trek Cobia

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    congrats!