mtbr member
    Mar 2013

2013 Giant Revel 0 or Talon 1

I just ordered a 2013 Giant Revel 0 29er. However after doing some more research I'm contemplating changing that to the 2013 Talon 1 29er. The biggest reason being that its set up properly for a 100mm shock. The Talon has hydraulic brakes but that's an easy change either way. For the additional $200 for the talon is it worth it if I'm to upgrade the fork/brakes anyways?

Has anyone changed to a 100mm shock on the Revel? Wondering the effect on the dynamics.

I don't like the shock on either bike so its on the eventual hit list. However I do like the SRAM x5's components on the Revel 0.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Mike

Revel 29er 0 (2013) - Bikes | Giant Bicycles | United States

Talon 29er 1 (2013) - Bikes | Giant Bicycles | United States

mtbr member
    I'm going to base my answer on something you may or may not have already thought of: The Talon is a better frame, all the way around. I'd go that direction and look at the Suntour loyalty upgrade program, they make some nice forks and you can get a heck of a discount on them when upgrading from one of their low end forks. For more about what people are doing with forks on Revels, check the Revel thread in the Giant forum here, lots of talk about the forks on these bikes.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I did not know about an upgrade program. Thank you for the info! Very much appreciated.

I will check the Giant forum.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Made the switch to the Talon 1

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    The Beginners section has the Suntour upgrade thread with reviews.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Cotharyus View Post
    I'm going to base my answer on something you may or may not have already thought of: The Talon is a better frame, all the way around. I'd go that direction and look at the Suntour loyalty upgrade program, they make some nice forks and you can get a heck of a discount on them when upgrading from one of their low end forks. For more about what people are doing with forks on Revels, check the Revel thread in the Giant forum here, lots of talk about the forks on these bikes.
    What is different about the frames?
    I have not been able to find any data about this.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by speedneeder View Post
    What is different about the frames?
    I have not been able to find any data about this.
    Completely aside from the geometry, the Talon frame is a bit lighter than the Revel frame. Of course, if you want the Revel's geometry, then that's what you want. I don't really recall what the weight difference in the two frames was, it's been several months since I weighed them. I do remember thinking either bike could be built into something relatively light (neither is particularly light when new) but the Talon had an advantage in weight for certain.