Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2012

2013 Giant Anthem x - 4 good first FS?

Hey all.
    Im getting back in to mtbing after about 8 years of having kids and stuff. I was looking at about any 29er to get me back into the sport. My last bike was a 1999 Raliegh M400, awesome at the time, i mean it had Rock Shox dude!
    I will be using the bike for everything., trails, exercise on the road and leisurely rides with the fam. Im 35..or 6... or 7..I dont know years old so i probably wont be wearing a jersey anytime soon but will def. dream about it. I just want to go out and have as much fun as physically possible on two wheels. BTW i did ride xc motocross during me eight years off the bike so i do understand singletrack. ok nuff of that

i have a 2013 Anthem x 29er 4 on hold at my lbs. I guess 2013 is the first year for the lower end anthem cuz i cant find any info anywhere except Giant's website.

im having a hard time pulling the trigger not because of the cost but because of the components. Dont get me wrong i dont really WANT to spend 1900 on a bicycle but i will if it keeps me riding. I rode a few hardtails before i got on any FS bikes and i was sold the first stroke on this one. Kind made me feel like i was on a 30+ lb dirt bike.

Not so worried about the drive-train, i know its not the best but i think it will work until it doesn't and im fine with that. relatively cheap upgrade when needed. My biggest concern it the RS. Not so much a cheap upgrade when needed

Its a Rock Shox Monarch R. Probably the crappiest of crap from what i can gather but maybe not? don't know. And the brakes probably not the best either but im sure they will work for a while. Honestly if i could buy the bike with mechanical discs i would. kinda scared of the whole bleeding on the trail scenario. Maybe im being a wuss?

front tire might need to go right away from what i have read but that should be about it.

more specs
    Frame ALUXX SL-Grade Aluminum, 4" Maestro Suspension
    Fork Rock Shox Recon Silver TK, OverDrive Steerer, 100mm Travel
    Shock Rock Shox Monarch R

Shifters SRAM X5, 2x10 Speed
    Front Derailleur SRAM X5
    Rear Derailleur SRAM X5
    Brakes Avid Elixir 1, 160mm
    Brake Levers Avid Elixir 1
    Cassette SRAM PG 1030 11x36, 10-Speed
    Chain KMC X10
    Crankset SRAM S1000, 24/38
    Bottom Bracket SRAM GXP Press Fit

WHEELS
    Rims Giant S-XC29 2
    Hubs [F] Giant Tracker Sealed, [R] Giant Tracker, 32h
    Spokes Stainless Steel, 14G
    Tires Schwalbe Racing Ralph, 29x2.25 Performance Folding

any way thanks for reading and any help or advice will be appreciated.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I think its a solid new build for an FS29er.

I bout the trance x4 and should held out for the x3 because I upgraded immediately. Still managed to find better components than x3 and am around the same price so I lucked out.
    There's something about those long grueling climbs that gets my front end all stiff... And I'm not talking about lockout...

Your Best Friend
    It's a great bike and the components are solid. The fork is fine and the Monarch is a great shock. Upgrade as you wear things out. Oh, and the Racing Ralphs are excellent tires.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Santa Cruz Superlight D is the same price.
    Tallboy LT

Tactical Nightmare
    Do the Anthem! I have a similar history to you.....took a multi-year break from riding, background in BMX, and 38 years old, and jumped back in with a 2011 Anthem X 29er 2 and I love it! It climbs like a machine, goes downhill with great stability, Maestro is an amazing suspension, and there is a ton of value in Giant in general with the stock components on their bikes. I have about 125 miles on mine so far over the last couple of months, and I couldn't be happier with my choice. I did a lot of research, and I just kept coming back to the Anthem. Let us know what you ended up with when you make the decision.
    - "The true object of all human life is play" - GK Chesterton
    - 2014 Giant Trance 27.5 1
    - http://teamdirt.org/

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Thanks for the input guys. I will let you know when i have it.

Carbon & Ti rule
    Yes the Anthem X 29er is a good bike, Go for it.

Short-Change-Hero
    This is actually such a great bike that I was talking to my LBS owner (he is a FELT/Giant dealer) about the new FELT Edict 9 and he said that he is so convinced that Giant hit the nail on the head with the Anthem X29 that he will not be bringing in ANY FELT FS bikes... For what it is worth he was an old pro mtb racer back east and only picked one up last year after riding a carbon 26" race frame for years. He said that if I took out the AX 29er and didn't like it he would order a "demo" Edict 9 specifically for me to try and compare, not charge me a dime (normally he would ask for 15% down on a bike order), and would even throw money towards the Edict 9 purchase price if I liked it better and bought it.
    Inbred 29r (Purple People Eater)
    HH Thumper (Blackheart)
    Bikes for Boobs F*ck Cancer! One too many, 6/24/13. Miss ya ma'.

Bascule
    Yup, what they said. The Anthem X is an excellent all-round bike and makes me smile every single time I ride it - even after 9 months. It climbs brilliantly, pedals very well, and can whip along singletrack once you've honed your technique. The Monarch is a solid performer, the Elixir 5s have great feel and power but are not as easily adjustable as the higher-spec versions. Cable discs aren't even playing the same game let alone in the same ballpark. What you feel about the front tire will depend on your riding style and the tracks you ride on most often - personally I've left the Racing Ralph on the back and gone for something with a bit more tooth on the front. If you like the ride, get the bike and upgrade as necessary.

~Reformed Mechanic~
    Quote Originally Posted by Silentfoe View Post
    It's a great bike and the components are solid. The fork is fine and the Monarch is a great shock. Upgrade as you wear things out. Oh, and the Racing Ralphs are excellent tires.
    ^This^

Its a great way to get back into biking and the Anthem X is a very reasonable price point also.

2012 does have a X4 build and they are currently available. The components are not complete crap so dont even worry about all the upgrades, your good to go on that spec
    I do all my own stunts, but never intentionally...

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Thanks again guys. I think I will bring her home tomorrow

Short-Change-Hero
    Post some pics WHEN you do!! LOL
    Inbred 29r (Purple People Eater)
    HH Thumper (Blackheart)
    Bikes for Boobs F*ck Cancer! One too many, 6/24/13. Miss ya ma'.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Done Deal! thanks guys

Tactical Nightmare
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtyokie View Post
    Done Deal! thanks guys
    Pics, or it didn't happen.

Nah, I'm just messing with you! But I still like to see pics of the new whip!
    - "The true object of all human life is play" - GK Chesterton
    - 2014 Giant Trance 27.5 1
    - http://teamdirt.org/

mtbr member
    Jun 2012

Like her so much I asked her to move in.

Scored a Nevegal for the front. $20. Now its time for some dirt and scratches.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2013 Giant Anthem x - 4 good first FS?-20120615_151633-1.jpg  

Last edited by dirtyokie; 06-15-2012 at 09:35 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    WTF? 2. Huh sry

~Reformed Mechanic~
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtyokie View Post

Like her so much I asked her to move in.

Scored a Nevengal for the front. $20. Now its the for some dirt and scratches.
    Very nice, Enjoy
    I do all my own stunts, but never intentionally...

Dirty minded
    Nov 2008
    did the wheels come set up tubless from the LBS?
    You did good dude, that is a great ride!

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Thanks man. No they're not tubeless. Thought about trying the DIY tub less thing though once I understand the benifits a little better.

Dirty minded
    Nov 2008
    benefits=
    improved ride quality.... lower pressures will absorb some trail chatter, Tires are part of your suspension, ask any ridged single speed rider
    much better grip and traction due to lower pressures
    no worries about pinch flats
    less puncture flats.... sealant takes care of those
    possibly shave some weight

the gorilla tape conversion is $20 total for two wheels... two stans valves = $16, one roll of 1" gorilla tape =$3

That is possibly the best deal going for a full sus 29r right now... that frameset is a proven winner, and I replaced my Fox shock with a monarch RT3 after a on trail demo... HUGE improvement over the Fox.
    It seemed as though the tune of the off the shelf Monarch was better suited to the suspension action of the bike than the Fox product.
    That may be the reason the Fox product is no longer offered on that bike??

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Cool. Will the racing Ralph's do ok tubless. Probably use the nevegal on the front. Its a wire bead. Any problems there?

Dirty minded
    Nov 2008
    I'm pretty sure youll be fine with both of those tires. I actually like cheap wire bead tires, especially on the rear were they end up getting worn out quicker..... it makes it easier to afford regular replacements.
    If I was you I would run the Nev up front and wear out both Ralphs on the rear.
    You will need a bottle of Stans, and use two full scoops in each tire when you set them up.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I'm having a hard time finding out if the fork is air sprung or coil. On shop I called said coil and one said air. I didn't think the 29 recon came in a coil. How are you liking it so far?

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Apparently it comes in both flavors. If you look at the pics on the spec sheet you will see one with a spring adjustment knob and one with the air.....thingy. the specs also says Solo Air / Coil

Im assuming that all the Anthem's will be solo air

i love it so far. I will be getting a different saddle for sure. Its now bad but i did 15 road miles sunday morning and my sit bones were a little sore. But i also haven't been a bike for long periods of time in a while so it might just be that im a little soft.

Converted the front to ghetto (gorilla tape and new valve) tubless with the stock rim last night and so far so good. Still had air in it this morning so hopefully im GTG.

Recon Silver TK | SRAM

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Ok. I'm going to get mine right now, I love a 2x10. No nonsense and you actually get as many gears as a 3x9 I believe, due to cross chaining. Any idea on the weight? It's got to be lighter than my other choice, a camber 29er.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast