mtbr member
    May 2013

2013 Giant Anthem X 1

Hi
    Does any of you guys have this bike and if you dont what are you thoughts.
    I'm looking to buy one but need more input.

Thanks

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
    I compared the Anthem X1 to the Trek Superfly 100 AL Elite. The Trek had the same fork and shock, but unlike the Giant, the Trek had Shimano SLX brakes and a Shimano XT rear derailleur. The Trek costs less ($2,719) and has better components.
    If you look at Scott bikes there is the Spark 950 for roughly $2,700. The Scott shares many components with Trek, but the Scott has Schwalbe tires.
    Big Wheels Keep On Rolling

Forth Eorlingas!

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I tested both of these this year before buying my Anthem. The Anthem is lighter, but the brakes are something I upgraded to SLX. The Anthem does have an XT rear derailleur. I do very much prefer the 2x10 setup on the Anthem, that (2x10) was something I made a mandatory option when I was bike shopping.

In the end, you should test ride multiple bikes correctly fitted to you and then make a decision based on the whole picture.
    Andrew Borntreger
    Champion of Cinematic Disasters
    www.badmovies.org

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I love the anthem, its an awesome bike that is more versatile then the 100mm of travel suggests. Even though i do not currently own one, its still my favorite xc/trail bike. I just couldnt turn down the deal i got on my niner. The only issue ive come across with giant is the sizing...and strictly because i fall between the L and XL frames. It shouldnt apply to majority of the riders. If you can test ride one and it feels good, i think youll be very happy. Its a fast and nimble bike that climbs very well. The maestro suspension works great, no need to mess around with lockouts or the rear shocks platform mode...like some other suspension designs.

Carbon & Ti rule
    What height are you ?

Quote Originally Posted by drz400sm View Post
    I love the anthem, its an awesome bike that is more versatile then the 100mm of travel suggests. Even though i do not currently own one, its still my favorite xc/trail bike. I just couldnt turn down the deal i got on my niner. The only issue ive come across with giant is the sizing...and strictly because i fall between the L and XL frames. It shouldnt apply to majority of the riders. If you can test ride one and it feels good, i think youll be very happy. Its a fast and nimble bike that climbs very well. The maestro suspension works great, no need to mess around with lockouts or the rear shocks platform mode...like some other suspension designs.

mtbr member
    That is also the reason why I bought the superfly 100al. The components are almost the same