Your Best Friend

2013 Giant Anthem Advanced X29er 0 Ride Report

Not so much a report as a general impression. Granted I only have one long ride on her so it is hard to form a solid opinion as of yet. She doesn't climb like a monkey on crack or descend like a wailing banshee. What she does do well is...everything. Stiff, very quiet and excellent suspension are some of the first things I noticed. I've never ridden carbon wheels before and I can't say that they really stood out. Maybe I just had sensory overload with all the other great things going on.

Me, 195lbs. Nekkid. Recreational rider and racer. I like longer rides. The bike, 2013, 23lbs (dead on). Tubeless and foam grips are the only changes to stock.

At first glance I thought the long stem (110mm) was going to drive me nuts. It didn't. I did think about it several times but mostly just to notice that it helped keep the front end down. Between that and the longish stays, it does climb with a planted feel.

I changed the tires to tubeless immediately upon building the bike. I weighed the wheels prior to the change and lost 4oz off the back and 3 off the front. The wheels come with a Stans like tape and also DT Swiss rubber rim strips. I used the tape and supplied valves and added 1 1/2oz of Stans. They sealed up right away although the rims lacked that satisfying SNAP when the tires seated. Throughout the first ride, the rear tire leaked a bit around the rim. I'll have to keep watching this although I didn't even give it 24 hours before riding it.

I swapped out the supplied lock on grips with some ESI chunky grips. I added a carbon bottle cage and my Xpedo ti/ti pedals. Brought the total weight down from 23.45lbs to 23 even.

I LOVE the RockShox on this bike, front and rear. The SID RCT is still dual air (awesome, as I was worried I'd get one of the new solo airs for people who don't know how to set up their suspension). Easy to get set up immediately and I also like that it has 3 compression settings at the top of the right leg. Min/Mid/Max. Each setting is very unique in feel and was easy to reach and use. I found myself flipping through them pretty often. I only used the Max on a road climb and it wasn't quite a full lock out although it was close. The Monarch RT3 had the same settings and was just as easy to use and also made big changes through the settings. The Maestro rear end doesn't require much compression damping and I found myself leaving it in the Min setting for most of the ride. The Max setting was also not a complete lock out on the back end. Oh, I did noticed some of the Redrum fluid up around the stanchion on the left leg but I figure that it is just the fork breaking in. I'll keep and eye on it.

Really looking forward to some more miles on this bike. Enjoy the pics!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2013 Giant Anthem Advanced X29er 0 Ride Report-her-first-20-feet.jpg  

2013 Giant Anthem Advanced X29er 0 Ride Report-red-carpet.jpg  

2013 Giant Anthem Advanced X29er 0 Ride Report-where-i-rode-today.jpg  

2013 Giant Anthem Advanced X29er 0 Ride Report-i-those-trees-not-long-before.jpg  

2013 Giant Anthem Advanced X29er 0 Ride Report-beautiful-tough-uphill.jpg  

2013 Giant Anthem Advanced X29er 0 Ride Report-color-corridor.jpg  

2013 Giant Anthem Advanced X29er 0 Ride Report-doesnt-get-much-better-than-.jpg  

2013 Giant Anthem Advanced X29er 0 Ride Report-pine-hollow.jpg  

2013 Giant Anthem Advanced X29er 0 Ride Report-way-forward.jpg  

2013 Giant Anthem Advanced X29er 0 Ride Report-she-isnt-clean-anymore-my-two-toys.jpg  

I guide and rent bikes in Northern Utah

http://www.facebook.com/AdventureEarthRides

davidcarson48
    Nice write up. Large or XL frame? How is the engagement on the rear hub? Did you pay full retail?

Rod
    Endorphin Junkie
    Nice write up. I appreciate the honest first impression and that goes against the grain. I have an anthem 26" and it is a fast do it all bike. My main bike is now a 29 hardtail and I would love to ride the 29 anthem. I think it would be a great do it all bike that can still be raced and do really well.
    There is not much choice between rotten apples.

Your Best Friend
    Quote Originally Posted by davidcarson48 View Post
    Nice write up. Large or XL frame? How is the engagement on the rear hub? Did you pay full retail?
    Sorry, I guess I forgot a key detail. It is an XL.

The hub is great. In the stand it sounded louder than it is on the trail. It is DT Swiss internals with 36 pt engagement. Pretty nice.

On your third question, I plead the 5th.
    Last edited by Silentfoe; 09-24-2012 at 11:37 AM.

mtbr member
    Nice report - fully rigged with pedals, 23lbs? that is awesome!

Does this frame have an aluminum rear triangle? My '11 X1 comes in at 27lbs and that's with nice tubeless set up, carbon bar and some other upgrades. Did they change the geo for 2013?

By the way what is the msrp on this model?

davidcarson48
    CF front triangle, AL rear triangle.

Same GEO.

$9000 US Retail.

Your Best Friend
    Quote Originally Posted by davidcarson48 View Post
    CF front triangle, AL rear triangle.

Same GEO.

$9000 US Retail.
    23 lbs dead even, with bottle cage and pedals.

Rod
    Endorphin Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Silentfoe View Post
    23 lbs dead even, with bottle cage and pedals.
    That is the weight of my hardtail with pedals and bottle cages. That is light.
    There is not much choice between rotten apples.

mtbr member

Giant Anthem 29er

damn - 23 lbs ! Nice pics and ride report for your new bike !! My 2012 aluminum X1 has to go on a serious P90x diet and is stuck at 26.5 lbs. ......... unless that money tree starts growing by the holidays !