mtbr member
    Aug 2012

2013 Carve Comp vs 2012 Cannondale Flash 29er 2

So I've been browsing my LBSs for the past couple days, and narrowed my choices down to these two bikes. I used to mountain bike quite a bit about 10 years ago, on a hardrock, and have just recently wanted to get back into the sport. The shop that is selling the Cannondale Flash (lefty fork) has a great price for it, about $1500. The other shop is selling the Carve for about $1550.

I've read good things about the lefty fork on the Flashes, but I've also heard that its pretty gimicky and doesn't perform as well as forks of equivalent value. From what I've researched on the Carve, my understanding is that its a all around great, mid-level bike. So if you guys could offer any input on which one would be the best bang for my buck, I would greatly appreciate it. If it matters, I will be riding fairly rooty and rocky singletrack.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    You could also look at the Cannondale Flash 29er 3. Same frame but with a regular style (non-lefty fork) I am considering a Flash 3 as I can't stand the look of the lefty fork. I also tested a Carve Expert 29 but didn't like it nearly as much as the Flash.
    Last edited by bhc3223; 08-24-2012 at 02:08 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Thanks for your input. I actually kind of like the look of the lefty fork, its unique. And looking at the hardware difference between the flash 2 and the carve, I would almost be a fool to not get the flash. Considering they will be roughly the same price for me.

mtbr member
    The Flash is a really good deal at that price. The Lefty is a great fork IMO. It is about a half pound lighter than anything else and it is stiffer. Compared to a Fox 15mm thru axle the Lefty is 26% stiffer and I can tell a difference when I ride them back to back. I put the Lefty on my Jet 9 and took off the SID, WOW what a difference in the stiffness, the Lefty is razor sharp handling. Also since the Lefty runs on bearings it is way smoother than any other fork out since they all have bushings. The down side to the Lefty is you have to perform maintenance on them. You need to clean the foam air filter about once a month (about five minutes of work) and the bearings need to be reset about every three months (about 15 minutes). I don't think the maintenance is that big of a deal but some people do.

So to summarize, you get a lighter bike with better parts and a fork that is lighter, stiffer and smoother with the Flash.

mtbr member
    I'd be all over the Flash, has better wheels and will be a couple of pounds lighter

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Great information to know. I just got back from my LBS with the Flash 2 in hand. Can't wait to take it on trails tomorrow. If maintenance is the only downside, i'd say that I chose the right bike. I like tinkering with my toys so its almost a plus. Also my LBS was really helpful in showing me what will need maintenance and how to do it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthRader View Post
    Great information to know. I just got back from my LBS with the Flash 2 in hand. Can't wait to take it on trails tomorrow. If maintenance is the only downside, i'd say that I chose the right bike. I like tinkering with my toys so its almost a plus. Also my LBS was really helpful in showing me what will need maintenance and how to do it.
    Great! now it's time to snap some pics and post them up

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    As soon as I get to 10 posts, I'll be sure to make that happen. Silly forums rules.