mtbr member
    Aug 2006

2013 Anthem X 29er 1 parts spec decent?

The wife has green-lighted a new bike purchase at the end of the year and I'm very stoked about it. I know for sure that I'm going XC FS 29er as I'm not the best descender and will be doing some XC races next season. Out of the stuff I've ridden in parking lots and researched online I'm looking at the 2013 Anthem X 29er 1 (the top aluminum one) as I liked the feel of it (very brief though) and it seems to be the best value for the money. My budget is about $3,000 max.

The last time I bought a mountain bike was 12 years ago, so I'm not up to date on components, especially forks/shocks/wheels. Is the component spec on this good for the money? At this price I won't be able to updgrade anything (like race wheels).
    Anthem X 29er 1 (2013) - Bikes | Giant Bicycles | United States

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Looks good to me. It's on my short list. The wheels are a bit heavy, but despite that, the bike is not too heavy. Consider a wheel upgrade to lighten the bike in the future, but it's not absolutely necessary.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    If I were racing, I'd personally go with the 2 and spend the extra on a light wheelset upgrade for racing and maybe see if you can talk the shop into a good deal on some 2013 SLX or 2012/13 XT brakes instead of the Avids. You might not be able to get both for your max (3000).

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    So compromise part a bit for lighter wheels? Not a bad idea. Personally I will wait until I can get the One on sale over winter and/or spring bicycle show.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by morkys View Post
    So compromise part a bit for lighter wheels? Not a bad idea. Personally I will wait until I can get the One on sale over winter and/or spring bicycle show.
    That and from what I've heard, and experienced a little (only 1 trail ride on it), RS seems to be a better choice for racing in shock choices. I have a 2011 w/ a Fox shock - the RCT3 that I tested out on a 2012 Giant seemed to be a bit stiffer/bob less.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Sounds like I have more test rides to do. I do like 1's looks a little more...

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    How much does the stock wheelset of the Giant Anthem X One 29'er weight?

davidcarson48
    Quote Originally Posted by morkys View Post
    How much does the stock wheelset of the Giant Anthem X One 29'er weight?
    Around 2000g if I remember correctly. Not horrible, but if you aren't a clyde, you can easily save more than half a pound with an Arch EX wheelset. Overall, it's a great bike build for a trail bike. I do agree the RS suspension is the better choice if you are going to be racing, but the Fox is nice for riding.

I was deciding between the AL and CF versions. I race occasionally and decided by the time I swap wheelsets and brakes on the AL version, I was only paying about $500-$700 for the upgrade to CF. I worked a ton of overtime during Hurricane Sandy, so this is my reward.

My Anthem X Advanced 29er 1 arrives next week. Super excited!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    They're about 2150-2200 w/ rim strips.

MTB B'dos
    What everyone else above said about the wheels, they're tanks in comparison to everything else on the bike, that's where Giant saves themselves some $$. I've got a 33.5lbs FS and I'd take it with it's Stans Flow/Pro2 wheels any day over a somewhat lighter bike with heavy wheels. In fact I just serviced the previous years model to this and could not believe how heavy it was, but all that weight was in the wheels, def go for the lesser model and do a wheel upgrade one time - depending on your weight you could go for some Crest/Pro2s at around 1500g. Also as said ask about doing a brake swap right off the bat as well and get something like the SLX or XTs.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My MTB vids

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Ok, that gives me an idea about the stock wheel weight. There are plenty of lighter weight options to chose from. American Classic makes many light 29'er wheelsets from the 29'er Race at 1419 g to the Terrain 29'er at 1895 g. Looks like the MTB 29'er Disc Tubeless are 1600 g and the All Mountain are 1752 g. I started looking into American Classic wheel sets and they seem to get good reviews and be decent strength wise. Anyways...lot's of options for upgrading the wheels.

When you buy a bike and upgrade wheels, sure, you can keep the stock wheels as a backup or use them on another bike if you have one that needs wheels, but if you are buying the one bike and upgrade the rims soon after, if not immediately, you then have a set of wheels that you paid for in the cost of the bike, that you have to sell. What I wish is that there was an option to either buy a bike without wheels, or pay a premium for upgraded wheels on a given bike. It's the number one thing people upgrade to save weight.

So why do folks say the RS are better shocks for racing? Weight? Performance? I thought the FOX CTD could be useful for racing too.

davidcarson48
    The RS shock has a firmer feel. The Fox has a plusher feel. Firmer generally feels more efficient for racing.

Not that you can't race the Fox stuff, it just feels racier with the RS.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    don t like the build for the money, go with canyon.