mtbr member
    Apr 2012

2012 Trek X-Caliber Vs. 2012 Santa Cruz Highball Aluminum

I'm in the Market for 29er and I'm down to 2 choices.

1. 2012 Trek X-Caliber

2. 2012 Santa Cruz Highball Aluminum.

Any Advice?

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I was considering the two for a while, both were out of my price range but that didn't stop me from thinking and researching the bikes. My thoughts were (and I could be off base) The xcal was slighter better spec'd (I liked the fork and I like SRAM). But I liked the highball frame more and thought is would be a nicer frame to upgrade on. Anyway I ended up with the 2012 x-cal because I found a barely used one on Craigslist for $900 and I love it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Based on my internet research I'm also deciding between these two bikes, so I'm hoping you get some responses here. I'm hoping to test ride both bikes next weekend, and see how they compare.

2 questions I have that might get answered here: can anyone comment on which bike has the better wheelset? Also, I've seen some good prices posted by users on the x-cal, does anyone have similar stories about the highball or is that bike more likely to be firm?

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I've noticed that people are just wanted the Frame from SC. XCaliber has better component on a complete bike and $300+ cheaper. Reading thru SC Website stating that they only have 2 year warranty on a bike frame. hmmm that's kindda my deal breaker...

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    The Trek website has MSRP at $1599, whereas I've seen the Highball complete for $1499 at online bike shops. I know people are not paying that MSRP price for the xcal, and the average seems closer to $1300. I wonder if the Highball can get a similar discount.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Santa Cruz are are no giving out discount on their Bikes.
    The prices for both bikes listed below, out the door.

1. X Caliber. $ 1350
    2. Highball. $ 1450

Trail Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by ERDOK View Post
    I've noticed that people are just wanted the Frame from SC. XCaliber has better component on a complete bike and $300+ cheaper. Reading thru SC Website stating that they only have 2 year warranty on a bike frame. hmmm that's kindda my deal breaker...
    I guess it could be looked at in that perspective, but I am pretty sure The Highball aluminum is going to follow suit for Santa Cruz's great durability and reliability..and it can be set up SS..and they have a great crash replacement warranty.

I agree that the price difference is disconcerting, but if you plan on upgrading..having a nicer foundation will build a nicer bike...if the Highball works for you.
    Santa Cruz Tallboy c
    Lynskey Pro29 SS
    Cervelo S2
    Spech Tricross Exp
    Raleigh Rx1.0
    Misfit diSSent

Fut. Bikes:
    Soma ES

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Thanks Dubdryver, that's how felt about the XCal, pulled the trigger and ordered it. I should have it in couple of days. I'll post Pic on my first ride on it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by dubdryver View Post
    I guess it could be looked at in that perspective, but I am pretty sure The Highball aluminum is going to follow suit for Santa Cruz's great durability and reliability..and it can be set up SS..and they have a great crash replacement warranty.

I agree that the price difference is disconcerting, but if you plan on upgrading..having a nicer foundation will build a nicer bike...if the Highball works for you.
    I'm a newb. Can you expand on why the Highball is a nicer foundation?