Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2011

2012 Trek Rumblefish Elite vs. 2012 Stumpjumper FSR Comp 29

I am trying to decide which of these 2 bikes I want to buy. I am not an expert when it comes to technical specs and the MSRP of the both bikes are $3000. Based on the technical specs which bike is the best value for money?

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I was in the same boat exactly as you. I demo rode each at my favorite trail for about 15 miles each, 2011 models. The Stumpy has a new frame and Fox fork, and the Rumblefish has the DRCV fork now. The Rumblefish seemed to fit me better, and seemed to feel a little more solidly made to me.
    I currently ride a 2010 Spec Rockhopper 29 Expert HT.
    I have already put my deposit down/ preordered my 2012 Rumblefish Elite. Both bike shops ( Trailhead and Scott's bikes are in Cleveland , TN) are awesome also.
    If possible try to ride each. You really can't go wrong with either bike in my opinion, I just happen to like the Rumblefish better.
    Chris

mtbr member

Stump or Fish

OpenSky, I am in the exact same dilemma. I have ridden the 2011 Rumblefish but they sold out before I made a decision… But now that they have up’d the travel to 5” I am glad I missed the 2011. Not that it is making the decision easier. Now I want the RF Elite and believe it is lighter that the SJ FSR by 3lbs. I am in Ontario (Canada) and seem to be having trouble finding a Demo ride for Specialized without traveling for 2 ˝ hrs. And the 2012’s are not in stock anywhere till November for the RF and I was told Feb 2012 for the SJ FSR. At the beginning of 2010 I purchased a $1000.00 2009 Kona Caldera (hardtail) and although the frame is solid the cheap drivetrain components have cost me another $1000.00. I seem to go through brake pads every month and a half… I never should have listened to my lbs when they said I would not need a 29er or dual suspension. As riding for over 2.5 hrs causes back pain… and the 26” wheels get stuck on things the 29’s don’t. I have advanced to the point where I need to take the next step up. I am on the 4th complete drive train on my Kona. I went through 5 shimano freehubs last year. The first after 3 months. I bought a Novatec DS812 sealed bearing hub last October and laced it myself, it has been indestructible until two weeks ago when the ratchet ring broke. I am 6ft and 235lbs. I ride pretty hard. Love technical trails, climbing hills and going down too. When you are picking your line through a rock garden and your front wheel gets hung up, you are flying over the bars before you realize ( yes a couple of times it was rider position.. LOL). With the Rumblefish I do not have that feeling. The one thing about the Stumpy that bothers me is the 2x10 drive train vs the 3x10 on the fish. I currently use all the gears and if I ever find a SJ to ride I will see if I out pedal it, like I expect. I also think the stumpy is more of a DH bike with a slacker head tube angle and suspect it to be less agile in the technical trail. I am hoping to find both of them at the Toronto Bike show Saturday, October 15, 2011. Until then I’ll keep reading…
    If anyone reading this has ridden both 2011 versions… what did you like better on each?
    night riding - it's an adiction

Former Bike Wrench
    When I was shopping last winter, I test rode a Rumblefish, FSR 29er Comp, and Anthem 2 29er and ended up with the Specialized. One of the big selling points that was obvious even in a parking lot test ride was the drivetrain and shifting. Frankly, SRAM does 10 speed better than Shimano IMO. The Shimano shifters (SLX) had very long thumb throws to shift one gear and felt vague. It shifted fine so it wasn't a tune issue, it just felt "cheap" and slow. The SRAM (X7) shifters had much shorter throws and felt crisp and solid. Shifts fired off with a solid feel and that solid shifting continued out on the trail.

Looking at the spec's...shocks are near equal, forks are equal, Specialized brakes are a minor upgrade. But I would give a big nod to Specialized for the FSR being tubeless ready with the Roval rims already taped, valve stems included, and 2Bliss tires. Just add sealant and your good to go. The Trek Duster rims are convertible to UST spec with rim strips, but you have to buy the rim strips and valve stems. Plus the tires are not the TLR Tubeless Ready tires which is lame on Trek's part.
    Last edited by mtnbiker72; 09-12-2011 at 08:31 AM.

Compelling, and rich.
    Quote Originally Posted by Element36 View Post
    Now I want the RF Elite and believe it is lighter that the SJ FSR by 3lbs.
    I highly HIGHLY doubt that.

Considering the Rumblefish Pro weighs 28lbs 10oz (without pedals) and the Stumpjumper FSR Comp 29er weighs 29.02lbs (with pedals, but setup tubeless).
    Last edited by CasteelG; 09-12-2011 at 08:11 AM.

mtbr member
    When I did this on 2011 bikes the Stumpjumper FSR was the clear winner for me. As mentioned slacker head tube angle, SRAM components, brakes and tubeless ready from the shop sold me. Now I am just trying to figure out if I should sell my 2011 for a 2012??

Compelling, and rich.
    Quote Originally Posted by subspd View Post
    When I did this on 2011 bikes the Stumpjumper FSR was the clear winner for me. As mentioned slacker head tube angle, SRAM components, brakes and tubeless ready from the shop sold me. Now I am just trying to figure out if I should sell my 2011 for a 2012??
    I wasn't sure about what my next bike would be, but after seeing the 2012 Stumpy FSR in person, I was sold.

mtbr member
    I was in your same situation just two months ago. I tried to read every review about both bikes and I was pretty sure that I would be purchasing the RF until I actually rode both bikes. I loved the stand over height on the stumpy and it seemed to handle a little better compared to the RF. As for the gearing, I was a little uneasy with the 2 x 10, but after riding it I doubt I would ever go any other way. Obviously both bikes are pretty close on paper, so a lot of my decision came down to personal preference. I would have to say that I've been very pleased with my purchase. It's an awesome bike.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I sold my 2011 SJ FSR Expert and just bought the 2012 carbon version. I have always found Specialized gives you more bang for the buck

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    also, look at the expert instead of the SJ comp as you get the brain with it. Life is easy with a brain!

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Drcv + abp = ftw.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Rumblefish.

Mtc
    mtbr member
    Specialized Camber

mtbr member
    No question the Stumpjumper is a way better bike ride them both Stumpy has way more to offer. I found the 2011 version didn't need the brain it was a great climber. The 2012 offers even more. More travel, lighter weight, 142 rear, PFbb, 130mm travel, etc.

usually cranky
    +1 on the sram stuff being nicer feeling. you press the lever and it just fires off, you do that on shimano and your left thinking "well im pretty sure it shifted". the wheels arnt the nicest but the stock bike should serve you well until you feel the need to upgrade. plus despite all the flak fsr recieves if you stay light on the pedals with good form bob is not an issue even with the shock open.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005

a few more questions on these two bikes...

as a tall clyde (6'8" 240lbs) I am looking at these two bikes.

Does any one have expereince on either bike over long distances, 50 to 70 miles a ride.
    I would like my next bike to be something capable for endurance events but it also needs to stand up to daily / weekly trail rides because I have a one bike budget. As far as endurance events, I am looking to complete the events and push myself, but have I no intentions of "racing."

Also how much does price play in to the equation? For instance, if one was able to get a really good deal on 2011 Rumblefish 2, would that make it a better value then the stumpy.

I am kind of partial to the stumpy simply becasue they have been around so long and are tried and true, but the Rumblefish seems like a pretty good bike too.

I would likely replace the wheels on either bike right from the start with something handbuilt.
    E

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I test rode the Rumblefish Pro and the Superfly 100 Carbon today at Trek demo days. LOVE the rumblefish, much more than the superfly. Fit me perfectly, very solid feeling, and just felt right. The suspension was awesome, and just floated over the rock gardens and large roots, got some decent air over the jumps too.
    VERY happy that I pre ordered the Rumblefish Elite, due to come in October 10!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Sram rear derailleurs (x9) are so smooth stump climbs great my first day with mine i climber some crazy rocky hills like nothing im going to +1 the stumpy 29er

usually cranky
    Quote Originally Posted by bigE View Post

Does any one have expereince on either bike over long distances, 50 to 70 miles a ride.
    I would like my next bike to be something capable for endurance events but it also needs to stand up to daily / weekly trail rides because I have a one bike budget. As far as endurance events, I am looking to complete the events and push myself, but have I no intentions of "racing."
    hearing that i think the camber might be a better fit for you. a little more efficient for the long rides but still fun on the everyday trail ride.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011

Intense

Quote Originally Posted by OpenSky View Post
    I am trying to decide which of these 2 bikes I want to buy. I am not an expert when it comes to technical specs and the MSRP of the both bikes are $3000. Based on the technical specs which bike is the best value for money?
    Don't forget the 'Made in the USA' brand, Intense Tracer 29 and Spider 29. They offer the superior ride of a VPP, and you can contribute to the US economy.

Compelling, and rich.
    Quote Originally Posted by Intense 4life View Post
    They offer the superior ride of a VPP
    That's a matter of opinion.

Keep on Rockin...
    Stumpy is very nice. I have the 2011 Comp (didn't want the brain), upgraded wheels and shifters and love the bike. It is an all-mountain machine - not a xc ride. 5"+ on both ends with a slack HTA. Love the low BB. I use to ride an SC Bullit with a 130mm fork, and used it for a trail/AM bike. The Stumpy is every bit as capable. Spec should be marketing it as a trail/AM bike. The suspension is awsome for trail/AM riding - super plush and active when pedaling through the rough.

The bike really came to life when I put wider bars on it and pushed the seat a bit forward to weight the front end. I also went with a Spec Black-lite Command Post dropper - best dropper post I've used to date. I'd love a carbon fiber version of the bike. The bike is a bit porky and the FSR suspension out back is not that laterally rigid. For the price, it is one killer bike for aggressive trail riding.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005

stumpy vs. camber

Quote Originally Posted by b-kul View Post
    hearing that i think the camber might be a better fit for you. a little more efficient for the long rides but still fun on the everyday trail ride.
    I have looked at the Camber but the stumpy has a longer top tube which I think I need. I have been called "torso man."

Maybe I should take a closer look at the Camber...

mtbr member
    My stumpy was only 27lbs medium with a carbon bar and tubeless tires. It's a lot of bike for the money for sure. But the wheelset and rear linkage didnt like how I beat on it. In the end I sold it.

mtbr member
    I test rode a 2011 Rumblefish the other week and immediately ordered a 2012 Rumblefish Elite from my shop. It too is due in Oct 10th. We are doing a few upgrades out of the box:

Switching to 2x10 drivetrain via XT crank and mech
    Switching to Nevegal tires w/ Stans tubeless
    Swapping in Thompson post, stem and WTB Rocket V Ti saddle from old bike.

Should drop quite a bit of weight and feel awesome. I am so psyched.
    Abington Wheel Wright Freeride Crew

2011 Trek Session 8

2012 Trek Remedy 9

2012 Niner MCR 9

SND. CPS.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast