mtbr member
    May 2013

2012 Trek RumbleFish Elite or 2013 Specialized Camber 29?

Hey guys, I'm new to biking and I'm moving out to the mountains in the Fall (Kelowna, BC).

My price range is around $2000, and I've narrowed it down to two.

One bike shop has last year's Trek Rumblefish Elite on for $2599.

The other has a base line Camber 29, and I can upgrade to the next-model-up's fork/ air shocks for $2000.

Test rode both, both felt great.
    Camber looks nicer in my opinion, Trek felt a little cushier and perhaps a bit comfier, however I wasn't testing with the fork upgrade on the Camber.

I'm pretty torn, so I'm looking for some insight as to whether the year before's model with some better components is worth the extra 600 bones.

I'm aware that I'm going to get some brand preference spew, but I'm hoping that some people will give me some objective opinions.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Both good bikes at a great price point. The Fish is targeted at a bit chunkier trails, while the Camber is pointed more at the xc end of things. I think you could choose based on that, but if you wanted to compare apples to apples, the FSR Stumpy 29er is a more direct comparison to the Fish, IMO.

Enjoy your new toy!
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Yeah you need to solely base this on what style of riding you like. The Rumblefish will be more playful, indeed more comparable to a Stumpy.

I demo'd a Camber FSR 29 back when I bought my Transition Bandit 29, I also demo'd a Yeti SB95, all on the same day, on local trails, and I knew after like 2 minutes that the Camber was too XC for my liking. It is a fine bicycle though, just not my cup of tea.
    Transition Bandit 29
    Surly Ogre
    Surly Necro Pugs w/ Lefty PBR
    Surly Big Dummy

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I traded my RockHopper Comp for a Camber 29 today. Love it.