Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

2012 Trek Rig sliding dropout issues. Does the warrantee repair kit work?

8K views 19 replies 11 participants last post by  cjsb 
#1 ·
There are several threads about the issues with the sliding dropouts for the 2011/12 Trek Rig. Trek has a hardware kit they send out that is supposed resolve the issue and I wanted to know if anyone has installed it and if it actually works?

I heard that it didn’t work for one individual so I wanted to see if others have had better luck with it. Thanks and happy riding!

#3 ·
Repair kit

The kit is a stainless or titanium bolt kit, the higher grade metal seems to work well. I have rode once (30 miles) and it held fine. It came in a plastic pouch and picked it up form my LBS after they ordered it for me. It came with parts that do not go on the bike though...extras too. It must be a kit that was not designed for the Rig in particular but for another bike and they use this to repair the problem. The allen screws on the front end stay...the back dropout allen bolt is switched to a phillips head and the bolts that hold the dropouts in are replaced too. Remember to loosen the disc brake when adjusting or changing cogs. the 2 allens----spin the wheel free and tighten when it is not rubbing. This bike is for the mechanically inclined--if you buy it:thumbsup: be ready to use tools...I enjoy this aspect though.

#6 ·
I had the same experience with my new toy , first rides were extremely disappointing ,wheel moved and the chain came loose. After reading all the similar stories on the net , I decided that despite its obvious design flaw , the rest of the bike was that good it deserved to get a second chance. I replaced all the soft stainless steel bolts with grade 8.8 high tensile ones and Nyloc nuts on the slider bolts. I also faced the mating surfaces of the drive side slider to remove the paint on its contact surface with the frame . Threw away the tiny adjuster that sticks out the rear of the frame on the brake side . and used a good solid washer on the brake side slider bolt near the quick release. ....and guess what ? no more problems since, and to adjust the chain I only need 2 tools ,not 4.....hope this helps

#12 ·
Yes this works...filed off the paint...went to a specialty fastener supplier for the bolts..high tensile lets you crank down!
and Ace hardware for the lock nuts....and happy trails. thanks BMX26aust you rock :thumbsup:
rode 20 miles today and my chain was just as tight as a frog arse after!!

#15 ·
Well bought a used 2011 Trek GF Rig yesterday went to my LBS today and ordered the kit and the new right side dropout with the dérailleur hanger as well. I am going away for a week so it all should be here when I get back road the bike over 20 miles today up some steep hills and on some old bumpy farm roads as well but mostly pavement miles. Its hard to tell but I think the chain did loosen up a little but it is still tight. If this kit don't work I might convert it over to a 1 x 10 instead we will see and I will keep everyone updated.

#18 ·
Just in case you wanted the part # for the right side dropout with dérailleur it is W304641 and it was $14.99 and had to ordered and the reason I got that isn't just because i might convert it to a 1 x 10 but that the dropout I ordered the the dérailleur mount is threaded for the mounting bolts instead of just being drilled through and using bolts on the other side like the one that comes with the bike. That supposed to hold much better as well and I would think it would have to I hope.

#19 ·
The parts came in they ship them next day for me :) I have it all together they don't look much different then the original bolts except the top brake caliper bolt is a stainless one and the original one was back I am assuming case hardened bolt. I don't know how much the kit will help but I think the right side dérailleur is going to do the trick it seam to tighten down so much better then the old one did. Only time will tell I leave first thing tomorrow morning for Vegas so will not be able to get a good ride in until I get balk next Thursday. If it moves on me I don't know what I am going to do. I can tell the guy before me had issues with it because he had so much lock tight and what not all over everything so that does scare me a bit.

Also does anyone know what the toque specs are on the slider bolts.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.